• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For the record, we are freely accepting hooligans who want to hand out candy. Before Christmas, we had only done premium, so that's what we booked.

It's funny how nothing ever changes at the Fort.   This is a photo from Halloween night, 2010- 5 years ago. Halloween was on a Sunday then.  We were on the 700 loop, and you can see the non-stop line

• 7 months later...

We're staying now at the fort campground at the end of September, and was wondering when they start decorating the sites for halloween. We stayed last year in the beginning of September and their wasn't any. We staying from sept. 24-Oct.4 and what types of activities do they do for Halloween cause we're gonna come back and visit on Halloween night. When we do the MNSSH party.

Welcome!!

I'm not sure how early the Halloween decorations go up.  We've been there as early as the 2nd week of October and have seen a few, with more and more added the closer you get to the end of the month.

This is last year's Halloween activities schedule - it doesn't change a lot from year to year...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/activities/fort-wilderness-activities-schedule-october-2014-r371

Aside from some fall decorations you may notice in the Trading Posts, and maybe a bit in the barn and at the Backyard BBQ pavilion,  Disney doesn't decorate the campground for Halloween.

The decorations are provided by guests who decorate their sites.

This past year, they implemented some new rules restricting when decorations could be illuminated, and started to crack down on other rules that had not be enforced in the past.  This may reduce the number of guests who go to the trouble of decorating.

In years past, some campers would start with Halloween decorations in September, and the number of decorated sites would continue to build right up to Halloween night, when things would be pretty spectacular.  In late September/early October, there won't be as much to see as there will be from mid-October on.  And, if then get heavy handed with the new rules, the decorations could be less than in previous years.

Also- if you have tickets for the MNSHHP for Halloween night, it wouldn't be a wise choice to leave that party and come to the Fort.  There's a lot more to see at the MNSSHP than you would see at the Fort, plus those tickets are expensive.

TCD

They started the crackdown before last Halloween, but it wasn't really enforced.

Typical Fort management not knowing what was going on.... Their flyer stated decorations off by 10, but the judging of the sites lasted until either 11 or midnight!

The 900 and 800 loops were a mob scene with 800 being worse.  Something happened in the 600 loop, there were EMT's in there for a while.  We only took the grandkids to those 2 loops, then walked to the settlement.

To me, the worst part was people driving carts thru the loops while the kids were trick or treating.  The loop roads were clogged with people walking  and then you had people driving thru sightseeing and some were even driving the kids from site to site.

They should have restricted the carts from the loops for certain hours and only allowed them on the main roads.

Overall we had a great time and had good weather, though the temp dropped late Halloween night down into the high 40's.  Same thing the next night.  The days warmed up nicely.

The 900 and 800 loops were a mob scene with 800 being worse.  Something happened in the 600 loop, there were EMT's in there for a while.  We only took the grandkids to those 2 loops, then walked to the settlement.

To me, the worst part was people driving carts thru the loops while the kids were trick or treating.  The loop roads were clogged with people walking  and then you had people driving thru sightseeing and some were even driving the kids from site to site.

With Halloween on a Saturday and the Fort selling so far in advance, I expect this year to be a even more insanely crowded.

Agree on the carts. Two years ago we were in 500 and lots of people were using them to shuttle the kids around from loop to loop and it was a complete zoo.  We had 40 lbs of candy and at one piece per kid, ran out in an hour. When we tried to bug out after that on our own cart, it took us almost 20 minutes to crawl halfway around the loop to get out.  And that was with Halloween during the week.  :blink:

800 and 900 couldn't have been more insane than 700 last year.  We couldn't have gotten a golf cart through there if our lives had depended on it.  It's a wonder people weren't trampled.

As for the EMTs in 600, a man moved a golf cart and thought he was in forward, but he was actually in reverse and accidentally hit a child.  A fistfight nearly erupted between the father and the driver.  Thankfully the child was okay, but the authorities had to be brought in.  We were in 702 and had a bird's eye view of everything.

I don't pass out candy.  If the ToT'ing were restricted to Fort guests, I would.  But Halloween is on Saturday night this year, and I don't take kindly to feeding half of Orlando.

800 and 900 couldn't have been more insane than 700 last year.  We couldn't have gotten a golf cart through there if our lives had depended on it.  It's a wonder people weren't trampled.

As for the EMTs in 600, a man moved a golf cart and thought he was in forward, but he was actually in reverse and accidentally hit a child.  A fistfight nearly erupted between the father and the driver.  Thankfully the child was okay, but the authorities had to be brought in.  We were in 702 and had a bird's eye view of everything.

I don't pass out candy.  If the ToT'ing were restricted to Fort guests, I would.  But Halloween is on Saturday night this year, and I don't take kindly to feeding half of Orlando.

It's funny how nothing ever changes at the Fort.

This is a photo from Halloween night, 2010- 5 years ago. Halloween was on a Sunday then.  We were on the 700 loop, and you can see the non-stop line of people and carts coming around the loop:

101_0397.jpg

It wasn't long after that that it got dark, and there was total gridlock on the loop.

There was a medical emergency that occurred at the 3-way, and an ambulance was called in.

The idiots in charge did nothing to direct traffic, so we had people coming around the loop the wrong way, and small kids and parents in the dark dodging golf carts:

101_0408.jpg

As far as I know, no one got hurt.

I think it was the year before that a child was seriously hurt in a golf cart accident on Halloween night on the 700 loop.

Good luck this year.

As long as I'm sharing photos- how about this kid in the Avatar costume?  This was in 2010, long before there had been any announcement about Avatarland.  I wonder if there will be more blue people this year?:

101_0393.jpg

TCD

It's funny how nothing ever changes at the Fort.

This is a photo from Halloween night, 2010- 5 years ago. Halloween was on a Sunday then.  We were on the 700 loop, and you can see the non-stop line of people and carts coming around the loop:

101_0397.jpg

It wasn't long after that that it got dark, and there was total gridlock on the loop.

TCD

Multiply the people by about 1,000 times and you'll have a picture of what 700 was like last year!  I couldn't believe how insane it was.  I should have taken pictures.

And that's why this year we're planning to park ourselves, our candy, and some beverages where we plan to stay for awhile -- at Kelly's site.  8)

As long as I'm sharing photos- how about this kid in the Avatar costume?  This was in 2010, long before there had been any announcement about Avatarland.  I wonder if there will be more blue people this year?:

101_0393.jpg

TCD

Impressive!  Hey that kid should be just about old enough to get a job when AVATARland opens. 

Two years ago there were some truly gruesome costumes to come by our site TOTing. If your daughter is really that sensitive you might want to keep your head on a swivel.

Yeah... we're trying to plan for that.  Not sure that we'll actually hand out candy... so as to not attract people to our site.  We'll probably take the kids to see some Fiends and then have a family movie night inside the RV :)

Yeah... we're trying to plan for that.  Not sure that we'll actually hand out candy... so as to not attract people to our site.  We'll probably take the kids to see some Fiends and then have a family movie night inside the RV :)

See, if everyone followed the rules ( ha ha,) people wouldn't stop at your site if you hadn't registered that you were participating in giving out candy, gotten a sign, and got your site listed on the loop trick or treat map they hand out.

See, if everyone followed the rules ( ha ha,) people wouldn't stop at your site if you hadn't registered that you were participating in giving out candy, gotten a sign, and got your site listed on the loop trick or treat map they hand out.

Ha Ha is right.

All of those locals parked in the parking lot and invading the Fort for the free candy don't need no stinking trick or treat maps.

TCD

Change your reservation to a partial site, pack a tent and come one down.  There were very few decorated sites in the 1500 loop last year, and the few that decorated were very mild.

I threw a string of blinking bats and another of blinking eyes in the bushes in front of the site and that was a lot compared to most of the others.

Im doing a light show like I did for christmas but Halloween themed   doing more of a goofy friendly theme and hoping it won't be scary.

Ooh - looking forward to seeing it!

You believe in unicorns, don't you?

Okay... so maybe we need to be better prepared for the 31st.  We're hoping for the 100 loop, so it sounds like people just walk into your site... even if it's obvious that you're not handing out candy?  Or do campers (who are handing out candy) set up chairs at the front of their sites and people simple walk the loops?  

Most people handing out candy setup at the end of their site along the road and folks just walk the loops.

Possible that if you're sitting out some stray kids may wander over to you if you're easily visible, although not super likely. If you're not outside you should be fine.  People don't generally go around knocking on camper doors.

Most people handing out candy setup at the end of their site along the road and folks just walk the loops.

Possible that if you're sitting out some stray kids may wander over to you if you're easily visible, although not super likely. If you're not outside you should be fine.  People don't generally go around knocking on camper doors.

Sounds good :)