I am in the camp that says it was dumb to remove them.

I know a lot more about Disney World than the average person, but I couldn't tell you what color the monorail was that was involved in the fatal accident.

The fact that these mugs made it on to the shelves indicates that a lot of people in the Disney organization didn't make a connection between the color of the monorail depicted and the accident.

What's the big deal about depicting a purple monorail?

TCD

Ebay has them listed from $150 to $2500.

I figured that was going to happen.

I know a lot more about Disney World than the average person, but I couldn't tell you what color the monorail was that was involved in the fatal accident.

I'm fairly sure most people that actually purchased or saw these mugs wouldn't have made the connection either.

Thank the internet for this one.  Because somebody made the connection, and then made a "thing" about it publicly (see "internet"), now everyone makes the connection, and the only thing Disney can do PR-wise is pull them.

I am really thinking it was for the sake of the monorail cast that they changed the color(s). I know a few drivers and many still have the "driver" black band (we remember) in their email signature.  The whole situation really hit them hard.

I made the connection because I rode in the front of the purple monorail that day. I wouldn't have pulled them but I do think they should have stuck with a color currently operation.

But that could be a monorail in current operation. It's a rendering of Epcot all in purple and blue shades. Nothing is the color that it actually is in real life. 

And that may be true but I see purple and my

Mind thinks of that monorail. Like I said I wouldn't have pulled necessarily but it definitely brings that moment in time to mind for me.

And really, since someone died, and it wasn't all that long ago, and Disney made the pretty big step of retiring the 2 color schemes because of the accident, there really should have been some awareness by the design team before they locked in the color scheme for the mug... if not the actual designer, certainly someone up the approval chain before it actually got to production.

And really, since someone died, and it wasn't all that long ago, and Disney made the pretty big step of retiring the 2 color schemes because of the accident, there really should have been some awareness by the design team before they locked in the color scheme for the mug... if not the actual designer, certainly someone up the approval chain before it actually got to production.

OK, now that I agree with.  I don't think I would have retired the monorail colors in the first place, but since they made that decision, then you're right- someone in the company should have thought of that when approving of the coffee cup image.

TCD

• 2 months later...

From the Orlando Sentinel - follow the link for photos...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/theme-park-rangers-blog/os-disney-epcot-starbucks-mugs-20150415-post.html

Epcot: Starbucks 'You Are Here' mugs for sale again

The Starbucks location within Epcot is again selling the popular "You Are Here" mugs.

Walt Disney World stopped selling the collectible mugs in January, soon after their introduction, because their graphic design included a purple-striped monorail train, one that resembled the vehicle involved in a 2009 collision that resulted in the death of cast member and driver Austin Wuennenberg.

The redesigned units returned to the shelves on Tuesday. The parts of the monorail that previously were purple are gray on the new mugs.

The new Epcot mugs sell for $14.95 and are only available in the Fountain View store in Future World, near the Fountain of Nations.

For years, Starbucks has had a series of "You Are Here" mugs particular to a city or state. They frequently feature distinctive architecture of the area.

Specialized "You Are Here" mugs for Magic Kingdom (featuring Cinderella Castle, Mad Tea Party. others) and Disney's Hollywood Studios (Tower of Terror, Great Movie Ride) are available at the Starbucks outlets in those theme parks.

Disney's Animal Kingdom also will have a "You Are Here" version after Starbucks opens there.  Disney has not yet announced when or where that will be within Animal Kingdom.

• 2 months later...