Pictures from Matthew's Mission Trip to Indonesia

If you all are interested, I will post more.  The group is sharing a cloud, and Matthew is downloading the pics and posting to Shutterfly.  I can download his pics, but because they had to change their itinerary I can't identify all the locations.  And I'll add that there were clearly no professional photographers in the group!

I'll start off with Matthew's recent post to FB:

Here are a few of my favorite photos from Southeast Asia. The first is a cove that we camped at after the first hike through villages.  

10945864_10152734086926559_5103768875706

The next photo was taken the second day while eating a snack on the cliffs.

10830429_10152734088531559_6854321330895

The third was a popular spot for students to visit on the weekends. Had a good time practicing their English with them and talking about why we were there.

10151939_10152734090491559_1876251626575

The last picture is where the hiking started. Not only was it beautiful, but it gives you an idea of the terrain we were on. The people were amazing, and I miss the place already!  (I think this is Pok Tunggal Beach too.)

10922403_10152734097371559_6988253637646

Nacole, I have no idea.  Good catch!  Will try to research tomorrow.  I'm pretty sure the last photo is Pok Tunggal, and there are no lines in that pic.  The first pic must be the second beach ... either Ngetun or Timang Beach.   After that first day of hiking,  when Jack, his FIL barely made it and another of the guys with asthma couldn't manage the hike at all, they abandoned their intinerary and just did what they could ... traveling from place to place by car.

Beautiful! I'd love to see more. 

Absolutely beautiful!!!

I'd love to see more pic.

Thanks!  I'm trying to get more pics posted.

Oh, wow!  What gorgeous pictures!  Was it warm there?  I guess they are somewhere near or south of the equator so probably it was.  Post more pictures!

Thanks, but I can't take credit for them.  The guys on trip are sharing them.

They were south of the equator.  High 80s during the day and low to mid 70s at night.  But this is the rainy season ...

Absolutely beautiful!  Are they doing any one particular project for people there or just visiting them/evangelizing?  

Looking forward to more.

Janet, their intent was to travel from beach to beach, going inland to witness to the locals.  They were led to believe that they could manage it physically if they were in decent shape.  But the first day they hiked up and down 6 mountains, and Jack, Matthew's father-in-law, barely made it.  One of the other men has asthma and realized there was no way he could climb like that.  So they had to alter their plans to avoid all the climbing.

The last few days they were there, they planned to help out at a local orphanage.

I've downloaded some of the pics, and I'm getting them at 30 - 50 KB even though they were shot at a much, much higher resolution.  Not sure what's going on.

Please, please, please don't share these pictures with anyone else.  They all collaborated in a cloud upload, and I'm not sure who to attribute each picture to.

Okay, let's see what happens with these tiny pictures.

Market in Gunungkidul:

001Gunungkidul.jpg

Pok Tunggal Beach (overlooking the Indian Ocean):

002PokTunggalBeachoverlookingIndianOcean

003PokTunggalBeach.jpg

005PokTunggalBeach.jpg

006PokTunggalBeach.jpg

Jack:

008JackandPokTunggal.jpg

Beginning the climb:

009StartingtheHike.jpg

010Hiking.jpg

That's all for now.  The guys uploaded over a thousand pictures, but many of them are duplicates and it's taking time to weed through them.

Just awesome!

What a beautiful place.

Wow... unbelievably beautiful.  

Yes, it is unbelievably beautiful.  But at the same time it can be unbelievably ugly.  I'll try to add in some more "everyday" pictures.

I'm avoiding (for their anonymity/safety) pictures of the Indonesian pastors and the full-time missionaries who traveled with the group.

Time for more photos.

So the group spent their first camping night at Pok Tunggal Beach.  The next morning they climbed up and down six mountains.

011Group.jpg

013groupontrail.jpg

Going down into a village:

014headingintovillage.jpg

015beach.jpg

016surftooclose.jpg

A beach house with a view:

018beachhousewhataview.jpg

017inabeachhouse.jpg

That night they camped on this beach, but I'm not sure which one it was.

019beach21.jpg

020beach22.jpg

020beach23.jpg

The next day they traveled to Timang Beach.

020beach25mattreading.jpg

021Timangbeach1.jpg

This is Timang Island.  It's known as a nesting ground for lobster.

021Timangbeach2.jpg

If you are willing to pay 100,000 Rupiahs (that's $8.03 USD at today's exchange rate), the locals will allow you to enter this "cable car" and manually hoist you over to the island.

021Timangbeach3.jpg

Anyone willing to take this ride?