Does The Internalional Gateway Open At The Same Time The Main Gates Do? We Thought Another Option Would Be To Drive To The Boardwalk In The Morning And Park. Then We Would Not Have To Worry About Time.

The official policy is that you aren't supposed to park at another resort to go to a park.  There are times of the year when they are strict about this, and will only allow guests registered at that resort or with a dining reservation (they will check) to park.  I don't think showing up in the morning with a dinner reservation will fly.

As with all things Disney, there can be a big variation between official policy and what actually happens.

That is the path I take- cutting through the hotel.

I wanted to see how long of a walk that is, so I mapped it.

I also mapped the walk from the 1300 loop to the Fort boat dock.

Coincidentally, both of those are a 3/4 mile walk:

1300%20to%20dock_zpsj7bofqhw.jpg

contemp%20dock%20to%20MK_zpsj51cjson.jpg

I don't mind walking, but walking both of these routes would add 1.5 miles to a busy park day.  I wouldn't do it if I had young kids.

TCD

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The official policy is that you aren't supposed to park at another resort to go to a park.  There are times of the year when they are strict about this, and will only allow guests registered at that r

TCD is referencing Josh... my work here is done! 

I have both of those items. They're only included in the deluxe package, however. 

Then it sounds like I am just going to have to pay close attention to times that evening. 

We are used to long hiking but I agree why if I don't have to.

Another question. Is there a bus that runs to the water parks from the Fort or will I need to transfer somewhere?

Another question. Is there a bus that runs to the water parks from the Fort or will I need to transfer somewhere?

You can catch a bus to Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon right from the Outpost at the Fort.  Those buses typically will share a route with another destination such as Animal Kingdom for BB and Downtown Disney for TL.  But, you don't have to change buses, and the waterpark may be the first stop anyway.

If you're visiting in January, it's likely that one of those parks will be closed for annual maintenance.  They shut each of the parks down for an extended period during the colder months.

Lately, there's been some funny business with the Typhoon Lagoon bus in the afternoons, where they make you switch buses at Epcot, or some such nonsense.  I think that's a temporary thing which has something to do with the Downtown Disney construction.

TCD

Would It Be Faster Just To Walk The Settlement? Also Are There Detailed Maps Showing That Path From The Cont. Boat Dock To MK? I Think I Remember But Mercy It Has Been A Long Time.

Based on our trip this past October I would say it was more or less a wash from the 1300 loop where we were located. It always seemed to take about 5-10 minutes before a bus would show up and another 5-10 to get to The Settlement. We walk fairly fast and would be at the docks in 15-20 minutes.

You Said For The MK Rope Drop You Go Through Bag Check And Then Tickets? After That You Watch The Opening Show?

Yes.  There's an opening show performed each morning from the train platform.  You can see the show from outside the bag check area, but if you watch the show from there, you'd have to go through bag check and the ticket scanners before you can head down Main Street after the show ends.

If you're there for rope drop, you want to be able to head down Main Street as soon as the show is over.

Hard core folks don't bother watching the show- they get as close as they can to the entry tunnels so they can be in front of the rope drop mob.

TCD

WOW!!  I have shown the children the opening show on youtube so we may be able to skip it. I remember when you could make it all the way to the hub and then you were stoped until rope drop. They made a grand announcemet and then a brave CM would risk life and limb to cross in front of the waiting stampeed to unhook the rope. At that point it was every man for himself as you did a run/walk to your favorite attraction. We always went to the left so for us it was either BTM or Pirates. So now that all begins at the tunnels? Kind of makes you rush through Main Street. I guess you can enjoy it on your way out.

Based on our trip this past October I would say it was more or less a wash from the 1300 loop where we were located. It always seemed to take about 5-10 minutes before a bus would show up and another 5-10 to get to The Settlement. We walk fairly fast and would be at the docks in 15-20 minutes.

We will be at the Fort for about a week before our first park visit. I plan to try both routes. We move pretty quickly as well but I don't want to wear out the little guys too early in the morning.

WOW!!  I have shown the children the opening show on youtube so we may be able to skip it. I remember when you could make it all the way to the hub and then you were stoped until rope drop. They made a grand announcemet and then a brave CM would risk life and limb to cross in front of the waiting stampeed to unhook the rope. At that point it was every man for himself as you did a run/walk to your favorite attraction. We always went to the left so for us it was either BTM or Pirates. So now that all begins at the tunnels? Kind of makes you rush through Main Street. I guess you can enjoy it on your way out.

Now everyone is held out in front of the train station, and they don't let guests in until the opening show is over.

The crowds now head to the Mine Train or the Anna and Elsa meet and greet.  That's not a bad thing-with the majority of guests focusing on that one area of Fantasyland, you can enjoy no crowds in some of the other lands until everyone else shows up.

TCD

That is too bad.  Like I said, you miss the magic of main street.  I can never pass down that way without getting teary-eyed. So do the CM's then walk the crowd down main street or is it a free for all?

I don't know.  It's always been a free for all stampede when I've been, but I heard they started walking the guests looking for Anna and Elsa and Mine Train behind a rope.

I was looking over the wait times sheet you posted for me and noticed that just like always people head to Fantasy World first. I am glad to see that this trend has continued.  My normal routine will not be messed with then. 

That's the way to do it.  Go to where the people aren't.

TCD

Last summer, I kept telling my kids that I would be dancing and singing this song when we got to Main Street: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eKgZBAKzS0

Instead, I just sang a few bars as we quickly made our way to Space Mountain.  :lol:

CMs with a rope walk people down Main Street. 

I think this part of my July trip report will really help you. I did MK RD on July 4th using Disney transportation. I did have a cart. 

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/13221-gdf-and-z-ditch-daddy-and-dash-to-disney/page-4 Scroll down a bit to where I start posting about the 4th. 

Last summer, I kept telling my kids that I would be dancing and singing this song when we got to Main Street: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eKgZBAKzS0

Instead, I just sang a few bars as we quickly made our way to Space Mountain.   :lol:

Exactly!! :lol:

CMs with a rope walk people down Main Street. 

I think this part of my July trip report will really help you. I did MK RD on July 4th using Disney transportation. I did have a cart. 

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/13221-gdf-and-z-ditch-daddy-and-dash-to-disney/page-4 Scroll down a bit to where I start posting about the 4th. 

I am such a dork! I can't even read a TR without getting all full of emotion. Truly it can only mean one thing, WDW is my happy place.  

OH MY WORD I think I would die if crowds looked like that!  Mercy what a nightmare.  I know they won't so I can continue breathing  :P  Anyway thanks for post it was helpful.  I read your other TR which have also been helpful.  

Since we are chatting help me understand the kid swap a bit better.  We are going to divide into two groups, one of 6 and the other of 4. While one group rides the other watches the littles. Knowing that tell me all your deep dark secrets  ;)  

BTW going by your TR you and I would be sooooo much trouble at the parks. I too am a major kid at heart.

I am such a dork! I can't even read a TR without getting all full of emotion. Truly it can only mean one thing, WDW is my happy place.  

OH MY WORD I think I would die if crowds looked like that!  Mercy what a nightmare.  I know they won't so I can continue breathing  :P  Anyway thanks for post it was helpful.  I read your other TR which have also been helpful.  

Since we are chatting help me understand the kid swap a bit better.  We are going to divide into two groups, one of 6 and the other of 4. While one group rides the other watches the littles. Knowing that tell me all your deep dark secrets  ;)

BTW going by your TR you and I would be sooooo much trouble at the parks. I too am a major kid at heart.

Keep in mind about that crowd... it was July 4th! Did you see how much I was still able to do before the crowd? Planning helps! I'm glad that and the other report were helpful. I've been known to get emotional from time to time too. :)

When Jason and I parent swap, we book a FP+ for both of us. We each use the FP to ride then and pocket the rider switch pass for a ride at another time. Those are always good until the end of the month and are good for 3-4 people depending on the ride. Sum of All Thrills is only good for 2. Depending on how you want to manage FPs, you could book the little kids for something else or book them for a ride they're too small for and have someone who is tall enough borrow their band for that ride. Hopefully that makes sense. 

An example: I book Rockin Rollercoaster for Jason, Z, and me. Jason rides with his FP, but we show Z, so we get a rider switch pass as well. We pocket that. I ride with my FP. Then, Jason can use Z's FP for a second ride, and I can use the rider swap for a second ride. 

An example: I book Rockin Rollercoaster for Jason, Z, and me. Jason rides with his FP, but we show Z, so we get a rider switch pass as well. We pocket that. I ride with my FP. Then, Jason can use Z's FP for a second ride, and I can use the rider swap for a second ride. 

Good work.

I need a short kid.

TCD

Good work.

I need a short kid.

TCD

Or just meet up with us. The rider swap is good for more than 1. Ha ha! Sometimes I bring some extra folks with me. I did it for a couple wearing wedding Mickey ears a couple trips ago. Saved them from a 2 hour line at Space. 

Or just meet up with us. The rider swap is good for more than 1. Ha ha! Sometimes I bring some extra folks with me. I did it for a couple wearing wedding Mickey ears a couple trips ago. Saved them from a 2 hour line at Space. 

That was nice of you- like the good old days when you could give people your extra paper FP's.

Those Rider Swap passes are a very sweet deal.

TCD

That was nice of you- like the good old days when you could give people your extra paper FP's.

Those Rider Swap passes are a very sweet deal.

TCD

Tim gave me a rider swap pass when his family left, and I gave one to Ray when we left. You just have to have a short kid to be nice these days.