We usually visit  WDW the very end of September for 2 weeks.  The crowd levels are always low and park lines are usually no wait. Buses and boats are never full and there is aways one waiting or just pulling in. 

Next year we will be visiting for 20 days stating at the end of Jan and into the very first weeks of Feb. I have never been during this time and although the crowd predictors say very low crowds, I am seeing where people are  writing in that this is not the case anymore.  Due to the rise in over seas visitors the crowd levels are actually quite high. This has me a little bit worried and I am looking to you all, seasoned experts for advice.

During our winter stay what should I plan to expect with buses and boats? Can Magic Kingdom and Epcot still be done in a day, seeing everything?  Are weekends crazy at the fort and parks? 

I am a major planner.  We are a large group and I like to be aware of what I am getting into well in advance. We move pretty quick considering our size and do not tote the kitchen sink where ever we go. All tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. I have gone through and read everyones TR that pertain to this time and search blogs for info as well. I am a seasoned WDW brat just have not been in a long while.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The official policy is that you aren't supposed to park at another resort to go to a park.  There are times of the year when they are strict about this, and will only allow guests registered at that r

TCD is referencing Josh... my work here is done! 

I have both of those items. They're only included in the deluxe package, however. 

MLK Weekend is usually pretty busy

Marathon Weekend is usually pretty busy and traffic is a nightmare on race days

The week days other than around those times shouldn't be that bad.

Plan for all extremes of weather. The chances for frigid temps are high.

We usually visit  WDW the very end of September for 2 weeks.  The crowd levels are always low and park lines are usually no wait. Buses and boats are never full and there is aways one waiting or just pulling in. 

I am a seasoned WDW brat just have not been in a long while.

Just so I have a better understanding of your perspective, when is the last time you spent 2 weeks in September at WDW?

TCD

Just so I have a better understanding of your perspective, when is the last time you spent 2 weeks in September at WDW?

TCD

It has been a long time sadly. The last time we were there for two weeks was September 2003. We had two small children at the time.

So much has changed I am nervous that I may be going in thinking and expecting one thing and I am dead wrong. We want to be pretty flexable so we can go to a water park on the off chance there is a warm day. Is is reasonable to think that I coud get last minute FP the night before we go to a park?

I use WDW transportation whenever possible.  I don't want the hassle of finding a park space, keeping track of kids in a parking lot, remembering where I parked, esp. when we are all tired.

I fully understand this but I also don't want to spend an hour on a bus ride that would take me 10 if I drove. FOr instance TL and BB waterparks, everyone says avoid the buses because it is by far easier and faster to drive.

Except for things like Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and the Anna and Else meet and greet, yes getting FP the day before or even the morning of is quite doable.

For example, Sunday morning, my DH and I decided we were going to go to Epcot, so I got on the computer early that morning, and was able to get us Soarin FP+ for later that afternoon, then we also happened to get Nemo and Journey (not necessary, but they were the other attractions on that side of FW.)

It has been a long time sadly. The last time we were there for two weeks was September 2003. We had two small children at the time.

OK, that's what I wanted to know.  Because you said how the last two weeks of September were low attendance times and you were used to no waits for lines.   WDW hasn't been like that for a long time.  WDW doesn't like slow times, so they've introduced all kinds of initiatives to fill the hotel rooms and parks.  There are way more Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween parties then there ever used to be.  And, they offer a Free Dining promotion that attracts guests in droves.  They have introduced a lot more racing events, and those are a big deal now.  They schedule these during times that traditionally would have been "slow" times, and they're not slow anymore.  Also, there are many more groups that show up in the parks.  This past weekend, I couldn't understand why the MK was closing at 9 pm on Friday night.  As we headed out, droves of young girls were streaming in for a private after-hours party.  The thing is, the "after" hours would have been normal park hours but for that special event.

All of that being said, there are still slow times, just not what you may have experienced back in 2003.  Things have changed.

So much has changed I am nervous that I may be going in thinking and expecting one thing and I am dead wrong. We want to be pretty flexable so we can go to a water park on the off chance there is a warm day. Is is reasonable to think that I coud get last minute FP the night before we go to a park?

During most times of the year, you can easily get FP+'s for all of the attractions the night before you intend to visit a park.  The only exceptions are for the Mine Train ride and the Anna and Elsa meet and greet at the MK, and Toy Story at DHS.  Everything else has plenty of availability.  And, there are times that you can even get the hard ones I just mentioned the night before.

I fully understand this but I also don't want to spend an hour on a bus ride that would take me 10 if I drove. FOr instance TL and BB waterparks, everyone says avoid the buses because it is by far easier and faster to drive.

I am not sure where you're hearing that it took someone an hour to get to a waterpark from the Fort. 

I ride the Disney buses all the time.  For the parks, the bus is often faster, because you don't have to take the time to park and ride the tram to the front entrance.

TCD:  Your trip to DL during the week is what we are used to. Low to no crowds. You show up at rope drop and can do all of adventure land and frontier land well before any sort of line appears. 

Those days are long gone.

You are remembering the days before there were internet boards revealing all of the secrets to a successful park visit.  Crowds now show up for rope drop.  Rope drop is still a good thing, but you are not going to do all of Adventureland and Frontierland before crowds show up.  Even though it's more crowded,  rope drop is still worth doing.

TCD

On the subject of the new reality of crowds at Disney World, there's a very good entry right on topic on the EasyWDW blog: http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorized/january-28-walt-disney-world-wait-times-and-the-reality-of-the-lowest-crowds-of-the-year/#more-15115

The author provides actual data of wait times on January 28, 2015, which should have been one of the slowest days of the year.  This chart shows the wait times of all the MK attractions throughout that "slow" day:

mk12815.jpg

The author concludes with this statement:

Behold it. Cherish it. Magic Kingdom was the most recommended Park on what should be the 9th or 10th lowest attended day of the year. It really doesn’t get much better than what you’re looking at, including that 90-minute peak wait at Peter Pan’s Flight and Haunted Mansion hitting 35 minutes. This is the reality of the post-FP+ era.

I agree with what this blogger says- we are in a new era.

Your memories of visiting the MK and walking on to rides whenever you liked is just that- a memory.

Look at the wait times on that chart for the first couple of hours in the park- those aren't walk-ons, but they're not bad either.

So, reserve your three FP+'s, hit rope drop, and hope for the best.

TCD

On the subject of the new reality of crowds at Disney World, there's a very good entry right on topic on the EasyWDW blog: http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorized/january-28-walt-disney-world-wait-times-and-the-reality-of-the-lowest-crowds-of-the-year/#more-15115

The author provides actual data of wait times on January 28, 2015, which should have been one of the slowest days of the year.  This chart shows the wait times of all the MK attractions throughout that "slow" day:

mk12815.jpg

The author concludes with this statement:

Behold it. Cherish it. Magic Kingdom was the most recommended Park on what should be the 9th or 10th lowest attended day of the year. It really doesn’t get much better than what you’re looking at, including that 90-minute peak wait at Peter Pan’s Flight and Haunted Mansion hitting 35 minutes. This is the reality of the post-FP+ era.

I agree with what this blogger says- we are in a new era.

Your memories of visiting the MK and walking on to rides whenever you liked is just that- a memory.

Look at the wait times on that chart for the first couple of hours in the park- those aren't walk-ons, but they're not bad either.

So, reserve your three FP+'s, hit rope drop, and hope for the best.

TCD

I've said before that your boyfriend does a good job.

In this instance, his post about wait times on what historically should have been a slow day is right on point for this thread.

TCD

I find those charts fascinating. I just wish they were cataloged in a way easier to find later. 

Kristie- Check out these cheat sheets. DIT used his touring plans over his Christmas trip and was able to keep pretty close to them even with his large crew. He was impressed. http://www.easywdw.com/category/cheat-sheets 

Kelly, I never would have found josh without you pointing the site out to me and our vacation was soooo much better for using his site - not just the cheat sheets, but the advice from the other people on the forum.  

I also like his maps better than any others I have seen. 

sniff   :'( sniff   :'(    bawwwwww  :TantrumSmiley:  :TantrumSmiley:  :TantrumSmiley:

You all have confirmed my thoughts as of late. As I began researching and planning this trip I began to wonder if all I was reading was true. Certainly it could not have changed THAT much but sadly I am convined now that the good ol days are gone. 

sniff   :'( sniff   :'(    bawwwwww  :TantrumSmiley:  :TantrumSmiley:  :TantrumSmiley:

You all have confirmed my thoughts as of late. As I began researching and planning this trip I began to wonder if all I was reading was true. Certainly it could not have changed THAT much but sadly I am convined now that the good ol days are gone. 

Chin up.

Things are different, for sure.

But WDW is still a great place to visit.

I just renewed our annual passes.

The big change now is that winging it isn't a good strategy.  You said you like to plan, so you know have the opportunity to do plenty of that.

TCD

I find those charts fascinating. I just wish they were cataloged in a way easier to find later. 

Kristie- Check out these cheat sheets. DIT used his touring plans over his Christmas trip and was able to keep pretty close to them even with his large crew. He was impressed. http://www.easywdw.com/category/cheat-sheets 

Your boyfriend's site is nice but not easy to gain info from. I am a little OCD in this area. However his info seems to be the best out there as even Marty told me to check him out.  So I will spend a bit more time. 

Chin up.

Things are different, for sure.

But WDW is still a great place to visit.

I just renewed our annual passes.

The big change now is that winging it isn't a good strategy.  You said you like to plan, so you know have the opportunity to do plenty of that.

TCD

Thanks!!! I guess it is off to the charts, blogs, and books for me.  One more thing, and I know I have said it before in other post, but after reviewing dining spost the DDP has totally messed up what was once great places to eat. That too is a big change.

Thanks!!! I guess it is off to the charts, blogs, and books for me.  One more thing, and I know I have said it before in other post, but after reviewing dining spost the DDP has totally messed up what was once great places to eat. That too is a big change.

Yup, the DDP has changed everything that was once good about Disney restaurants.

I've told stories before about how when my girls were younger, we could walk into Le Cellier , or many other Epcot full service restaurants, for lunch, and have a very nice, reasonably priced meal.  No reservations were ever needed, and there was never a wait.

Forget that now.

TCD

I'm just upset about the entire fast pass, reserve everything months in advance scenario.

I understand that Ma and Pa Kettle from Wisconsin with their 12 little Kettles want to hit everything at WDW in 3 fun filled days since they have saved 10 years to get there and Ma's health is failing and they will never be able to come back again.

But I still hate the fact that you just can't go and have unplanned fun (for the majority of the time it seems).

Everyone used to be equal, you all stood in line and waited your turn.

But like others have said, the bean counters hated that, because if you are waiting in line, you're not spending $$$ on food and souvenirs.

I'm just upset about the entire fast pass, reserve everything months in advance scenario.

I understand that Ma and Pa Kettle from Wisconsin with their 12 little Kettles want to hit everything at WDW in 3 fun filled days since they have saved 10 years to get there and Ma's health is failing and they will never be able to come back again.

But I still hate the fact that you just can't go and have unplanned fun (for the majority of the time it seems).

Everyone used to be equal, you all stood in line and waited your turn.

But like others have said, the bean counters hated that, because if you are waiting in line, you're not spending $$$ on food and souvenirs.

Good post.

There's nothing you or I can do about it, though (other than to choose not to go to WDW).

The new system is still fair.  Everyone gets a crack at three FP+'s.  You have an advantage, though, because the majority of guests still show up with no plan and no clue.

While they're trying to figure out which end is up, you'll be riding rides and getting things done.

You can still go on the fly in the early mornings.   Then schedule your FP+'s for the afternoon/evening.  It's not horrible.  You just need to figure out what works for you.

TCD