How far in advance do you book (non fort)

I have been playing phone tag with a campground in NJ to book for the end of July. I finally reached the lady today and booked their last sewer site for the week I needed. She said most people book the year before. This had me thinking how far in advance do you book your non Fort summer stays?

I just checked there for March 2016 and couldn't get more than a mediocre site.

If I'm on the computer 18 months to the day I still usually can't get the site we want.  Need to book it earlier for a longer time and then cancel what we don't want.  The only downside is they require a weekly deposit.

Up here we have to book a good 2 months out for any decent campground spot, more for the good CG's

The

only other campground we frequent (Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach, SC) we have to book 18 months in advance to get a good site.

Not to hijack, but Gwen we did pirateland in 2013 and plan to do it again this year- should we look at ocean lakes instead??

Up here we have to book a good 2 months out for any decent campground spot, more for the good CG's

The

only other campground we frequent (Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach, SC) we have to book 18 months in advance to get a good site.

Not to hijack, but Gwen we did pirateland in 2013 and plan to do it again this year- should we look at ocean lakes instead??

Rennie it's hospitality creek. The only reason we are going is Adam is going to a day camp for food allergies down around there and I don't want to drive back and forth all week. So I asked j&j camper rental if I could borrow their camper for the week.

Does that translate to Mom and Dad?

While you're at Pirateland, drive down and check out Lakewood and Ocean Lakes.  Of the three, we like Pirateland the least.  Lakewood is okay, but the sites are end to end, meaning half the units have to back in and have their curbsides away from the beach.  And the only time we ever stayed there, we were assigned a site with a low-hanging branch that hit the top of our TT.

Gwen, is Ocean Lakes near some must see spots?  Or do you stay at the campsite and relax?

There is so much to see and do in the Myrtle Beach area!  Nearly 100 golf courses.  Some amazing restaurants.  Outlet shopping.  Amusement park.  You can find about anything there.

We don't stay at the campsite very much.  We're usually on the beach most of the day.  And if we're not on the beach we're out shopping, eating, playing golf, etc.

Hijack... To me, Ocean Lakes is everything people hate about the Fort. TONS of drunk kids on golf carts, and you're on top of your neighbor, thumping loud music, etc.  We liked Myrtle Beach Travel Park much more. 

Kelly, that's only in the summer.  We visit after Labor Day and in the spring, and it's great.  As for being on top of your neighbor, yes, there are some sections like that.  But there are also some really large sites.  And OLFC lets you make reservations for a specific site.  That's one reason we have to make them 18 months out.

Also, we prefer South Myrtle over North Myrtle.  The beach is wider on the southern end, and the water gets deep more gradually.