My daughters watch the various tiny house TV shows.

To me they make absolutely no sense since it seems like they are reinventing the wheel.

They spend a ton of money on a small shell, then another ton designing ways to store/hide all of their essentials.

Why not just purchase a travel trailer or park model trailer.  They are made to be moved, and already have all the storage built in and they cost a lot less!

My daughters watch the various tiny house TV shows.

To me they make absolutely no sense since it seems like they are reinventing the wheel.

They spend a ton of money on a small shell, then another ton designing ways to store/hide all of their essentials.

Why not just purchase a travel trailer or park model trailer.  They are made to be moved, and already have all the storage built in and they cost a lot less!

We watch all those shows too.  I don't get the ones on wheels either.  Especially given how heavy they are and that none of those folks ever seem to have a vehicle capable of towing them.

That said, these people have been fun to follow and were even in the Orlando area recently...

http://tinyhousegiantjourney.com/

I would L-O-V-E a tiny house - although my idea of "tiny" is about 700-800 sq feet and I'd want it on a nice big chunk of land - preferably with a stream or brook on it somewhere.

DH and I even have a loose plan kicking around for this sometime in the next few years - downsize a bunch, cut our cost of living in half (or less) and do more instead of have more.  Now to get all the pieces to fall into place...

I guess you sleep sitting up?

I know, right??  What is that!?

That was our thought too...

That said, these people have been fun to follow and were even in the Orlando area recently...

Some of their pictures are AWESOME!!! 

So they quit their jobs built a tiny house and are driving around the country.

Must be nice.  Do they ever say where their $$ comes from to pay to live?

I see her parents followed them to Orlando.  Is mom and dad paying for their adventure?

No matter how you look at it, it must be costing them about $200 a week or more in expenses.

They were featured on one of the Tiny House episodes.  They're from L.A. He's a (now former) engineer turned landscape photographer. She used to work in the film industry and is an aspiring writer. I don't remember if they sold a house as part of the deal, but it seems that on top of whatever savings they may have had, they're finding ways to monetize their journey (possibly through the blog) on top of whatever they may be making as a photographer/writer.

They've been traveling around for quite a while now, so they've found some way to make it work.

Found this from an article while they were still building...

Why try and live in a space this small?
Guillaume:
"Well,  to redefine the American dream in a way. Today, houses are basically unaffordable in big cities, and we didn't want to get stuck into a 30-year loan and live paycheck by paycheck to make sure that we can afford our house that we barely use. We decided to take another approach. I am a photographer, and Jenna is a writer, and we aren't planning on making a lot of money, and we want to still live nicely in a little place that feels cozy and warm. So we decided to build this little house and put it on a trailer and maybe travel with it."

http://www.scpr.org/programs/take-two/2014/05/13/37404/the-tiny-house-movement-comes-to-los-angeles/

Follow up article from about 6 months after they hit the road.

http://www.scpr.org/programs/take-two/2014/12/30/40907/la-couple-takes-their-tiny-house-on-a-year-long-ro/

I stick built a 10X12 salt box shed for under a third of the price in the craigslist link and it has a lot more character not to mention room. It is all built on standard 16" centers and uses real lap siding. It wouldn't cost that much to add a window or two and electricity. If I ever needed to move it all would have to do is rent a roller bed truck and it done.

Now add a kid or two and all the needed accessories and we will see how their tiny dream house works for them!  :lol:

I stick built a 10X12 salt box shed for under a third of the price in the craigslist link and it has a lot more character not to mention room. It is all built on standard 16" centers and uses real lap siding. It wouldn't cost that much to add a window or two and electricity. If I ever needed to move it all would have to do is rent a roller bed truck and it done.

You could definitely build something pretty darned spiffy for a LOT less than what some of these are going for. Prices for prefabs and kits are all over the map, and some are more than the cost of a regular 2-3 bedroom house.  Of course also depends on how custom you get.  For a lot of the ones on the show they build a lot of custom furniture and cabinetry for them as well.

Now add a kid or two and all the needed accessories and we will see how their tiny dream house works for them!  :lol:

LOL!  The show has had a few families with kids.  Now those get interesting!

We watch all those shows too. I don't get the ones on wheels either. Especially given how heavy they are and that none of those folks ever seem to have a vehicle capable of towing them.

I would L-O-V-E a tiny house - although my idea of "tiny" is about 700-800 sq feet and I'd want it on a nice big chunk of land - preferably with a stream or brook on it somewhere.

DH and I even have a loose plan kicking around for this sometime in the next few years - downsize a bunch, cut our cost of living in half (or less) and do more instead of have more. Now to get all the pieces to fall into place...

I could sell you a 704 sq ft house near a lake. The land part would be an issue.