We finally bit the bullet, and have made reservations for our first trip, for November 2015.  We were disappointed to read in several places that memory maker couldn't be purchased without a package - not true....we were able to buy it even before linking our tickets, and on the strength of a FW reservation.  There are a bunch of options on the Disney website to link memory maker to tickets - do we need to do that?   Or if we travel together (there are six of us going - 2 adults, and 4 kids), will these be linked automatically by Disney?

Im confused by your question.

The only thing you need to do is link Memory Maker to your My Disney Experience account and designate an owner, the one who will downlaod the photos. Once that is done, youre all set. When the photos show up in your account, you can download them.

If everyone is listed under one account, you have nothing more to do. If there seperate accounts for certain individuals, link the accounts under friends and family and be sure to click the share photos option. Any family member can use their magic band to associate photos to the account. If you can see the photo in your account, you can downlaod it.

Memory maker does not need to be linked to tickets or magic bands. Just the MDE account.

You can use your magic band, park ticket, or traditional photopass cards to collect photos during your visit.

Remember that ride photos are automaticaly associated to your account if you wear your magic band on the ride. No need to stop at the kiosk after the ride.

And just an FYI, you do not need tickets, or even a reservation to purchase memory maker. Just an MDE account. You can pre purchase it, buy it during your vacation, or even wait until you get home after your vacation to buy it.

Theres even a 1 day memory maker option for those who buy a 1 day park ticket.

No. Once you download your first photo, you have 30 days to download any photos in your account unlimited. After 30 days, the download entitlement ends and you must purchase memory maker again.

Remember, photos expire 45 days from the date taken.

I noticed yesterday that on some rides that take your photo they will show up at the kiosk and you have a certain amount of time to scan your magic band. Is that for people that don't have memory maker and they scan to purchase the photo? Or do you have to scan it for it to go on your memory maker?

I have memory maker, and scanned for the photos but didn't think about it until reading this thread. Tomorrow I'll ask a cast member if I happen to ride a photo taking ride.

I noticed yesterday that on some rides that take your photo they will show up at the kiosk and you have a certain amount of time to scan your magic band. Is that for people that don't have memory maker and they scan to purchase the photo? Or do you have to scan it for it to go on your memory maker?

I have memory maker, and scanned for the photos but didn't think about it until reading this thread. Tomorrow I'll ask a cast member if I happen to ride a photo taking ride.

If you have magic bands it will automatically link the ride photos to your account. 

The kiosks are for those who do not have magic bands. You can associate the photos to your park ticket or memory maker card.

If you have a magic band just walk off the ride. Nothing more needs to be done.

And some rides have photos and videos that can be only associated to a magic band. Like the mine train.

• 6 months later...

How long does it take for the ride photos to show up. The girls and I rode Space Mountain this morning. We saw the photo when we got off the ride, but do not see it in our photos.

If you are looking on MDE there have been issues with the photos showing up on there. I believe the general wording is up to 24 hours for the pictures to load.

We finally bit the bullet, and have made reservations for our first trip, for November 2015.  We were disappointed to read in several places that memory maker couldn't be purchased without a package - not true....we were able to buy it even before linking our tickets, and on the strength of a FW reservation.  There are a bunch of options on the Disney website to link memory maker to tickets - do we need to do that?   Or if we travel together (there are six of us going - 2 adults, and 4 kids), will these be linked automatically by Disney?

We went spring break 2014 with 2 other families.  There was so much conflicting info at the time about what we could and couldn't do. It seemed no one knew anything.  We were all 3 linked together on MDE and couldn't find out if we could share one, so we each bought it because we didn't want to chance missing out on the pics.  Of course after the trip we all had access to all the pics.  We had also read that you could only get pics (esp. ride pics) if you were with the owner of the MM and not like across the park from them with another kid.  Not true either.  

Sad that a year and a half later there still isn't very clear info.

We went spring break 2014 with 2 other families.  There was so much conflicting info at the time about what we could and couldn't do. It seemed no one knew anything.  We were all 3 linked together on MDE and couldn't find out if we could share one, so we each bought it because we didn't want to chance missing out on the pics.  Of course after the trip we all had access to all the pics.  We had also read that you could only get pics (esp. ride pics) if you were with the owner of the MM and not like across the park from them with another kid.  Not true either.  

Sad that a year and a half later there still isn't very clear info.

That's pretty pathetic on Disney's part.

They really botched the whole Photo Pass/ Memory Maker thing.

Now, they're forcing it on Annual Passholders by making it a "free" perk. 

Whoever is in charge of this really wants to try to make it work.

They ought to go back to the drawing board and CLEARLY communicate what the program is and how it can be used.  It might help their sales.

TCD

I have another question. If someone is one of our managed accounts shouldn't their bands work for ride photos? Steve is listed as one of my managed accounts. Last night we rode Space Mtn. He was in the car directly behind ours. His photo is not showing up in our photos. Also the girls met the witch from Snow White. They had some photos taken and Jessica had her band scanned. Those also are not showing up. Yet when Steve took Jessica to meet Tinkerbell those photos did show up when he scanned his band. So I guess I need to know who should I contact about missing photos.

That's pretty pathetic on Disney's part.

They really botched the whole Photo Pass/ Memory Maker thing.

Now, they're forcing it on Annual Passholders by making it a "free" perk. 

Whoever is in charge of this really wants to try to make it work.

They ought to go back to the drawing board and CLEARLY communicate what the program is and how it can be used.  It might help their sales.

TCD

Agreed.

Thanks for asking and thanks to the others for answering.  This was on my list of things to clarify.    When we did Belle, we were given a card and that is how I linked the photos when I got home, but that was a few years ago before magic bands.

How do I see photos from Enchanted Tails with Belle?

I believe they give you a card you have to link to your photopass account for those. All the pictures taken at that same show will be visible. Meaning not just yours but other guests as well.

Yeah I am having trouble linking.

Kristie PM the 16 digit number on the card and I will add it to our "Family" Memory Maker.