First Time at the Fort, Resort(s) Only

Hello all, 

Something of a lurker. 

Let me begin by saying I've enjoyed everyone's post and wisdom.

The family--me, wife, 6 year old daughter--is going to be making yet another pilgrimage to Disney, this time staying at Fort Wilderness for the better part of a week. We've done Disney several times. We've stayed in the bubble (Port Orleans Riverside) and outside the bubble (Windsor Hills). This time, we're going to be stopping at the Fort on the way to a friend's condo at the beach. 

The goal of this trip is to go at a slower pace and take in some of the non-park activities at WDW. My questions are these:

1. I'd love to hear your suggestions for non-park activities, both at Fort Wilderness and other resorts. We're doing to dinner shows at both the Polynesian and Fort Wilderness (the back yard BBQ is full). We're also looking forward to evening activities around the campfire and movie screen.
  2. Where to get reservations for (both classification and where to request loops--I'm assuming it works like rooms where you fax a few days before your arrive to ask for a loop). We're tent campers (more like glampers!). We have a BIG REI Tent, foam pads, air mattress, strings of accent lights, etc.  We also like to put up a screen tent as a second living space.
  3. What are your can't mis glamping items unique to fort Wilderness. For example--do we really need special stakes or sand/ snow stakes or the sand/ snow anchors that some recommend?

Once again, thanks. I look forward to hanging out with any that will be around in late June!

Just want to say Welcome!  I've been a tent camper in the past with the Boy Scouts (former Scoutmaster) but not a glamper- let others chime in.

Hoop-Dee-Doo is a Must-do.   The campfire and movie is a lot of fun - we usually take our own s'mores but they have kits for sale (at a premium) but make it easy if you are running low on space. 

Loop/Site requests - faxing or calling as described here always works well for me. http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/loopsite-requests-r125

:welcome2:

Nail stakes work, the plastic ones don't work too great, the sand is pretty hard packed.

If you're not used to heat and humidity, then a fan is a must.

Are you cooking at the site? Freeze crockpot type of meals ahead of time, then use a crockpot liner. Easy and quick clean up.

Good ice chest is a must.

Check out the evening wagon rides. ( not the carriage). Wagon rides are one of the best values at the fort.

Fishing, bike rides, walks, canoe rides are all fun.

They have poolside activities every afternoon.

Use the boat rides to Contemporary or the MK to relax and cool off.

Welcome!!

At 6 years of age, your daughter may still follow under Disney's height restriction for the pony rides; if so, that's a fun activity.  Watching the boat parade down on the beach is a must... as is simple time of walking the loops and saying "howdy" to other campers.

You didn't mention when you were going but yes... if it's during the summer, a fan (at least one) is a must!

Enjoy your stay and again... welcome :)

Welcome!!

I was going to suggest the same as Yvonne for possible resort activities.  :)

We also enjoy ...

poking around Downtown Disney

hopping a boat to the Contemporary then touring around the monorail resorts

taking a trip out to Animal Kingdom Lodge to wander around, see the animals on the savannah, grab a nice meal

touring around the Boardwalk resorts

Welcome!!

I was going to suggest the same as Yvonne for possible resort activities.  :)

We also enjoy ...

poking around Downtown Disney

hopping a boat to the Contemporary then touring around the monorail resorts

taking a trip out to Animal Kingdom Lodge to wander around, see the animals on the savannah, grab a nice meal

touring around the Boardwalk resorts

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we're going to be doing a lot of resort hopping (but no pool hopping  ;)

Welcome!

I have not actually done this, but it sounds like a fun activity for a family not planning any park days.

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/15259-art-of-animation-teach-to-draw-classes/

Great idea. Thanks to much!

Welcome!!

At 6 years of age, your daughter may still follow under Disney's height restriction for the pony rides; if so, that's a fun activity.  Watching the boat parade down on the beach is a must... as is simple time of walking the loops and saying "howdy" to other campers.

You didn't mention when you were going but yes... if it's during the summer, a fan (at least one) is a must!

Enjoy your stay and again... welcome :)

We'd thought about  the pony rides. She's tall (like her Daddy) so we'll have to see. 

Welcome!!!!  :)

Thank you!

Nail stakes work, the plastic ones don't work too great, the sand is pretty hard packed.

If you're not used to heat and humidity, then a fan is a must.

Are you cooking at the site? Freeze crockpot type of meals ahead of time, then use a crockpot liner. Easy and quick clean up.

Good ice chest is a must.

Check out the evening wagon rides. ( not the carriage). Wagon rides are one of the best values at the fort.

Fishing, bike rides, walks, canoe rides are all fun.

They have poolside activities every afternoon.

Use the boat rides to Contemporary or the MK to relax and cool off.

Thanks for the heads up with nail stakes. That what we use. We'll take an ice chest but we're gonna enjoy meals around the resorts.

If you are going during summer months, you might want to consider an air conditioner.

I've looked at these. I'm challenged by either that kind of investment for such a short use and that we're already up against the cusp of what we can take in our car.

2sgn056welcometrain.gif

Thank you!

I just use the nail stakes

Thanks for the heads up!

I would think of bring some type of fan that you could use in or out of the tent, think it would be a big help at least for sleeping.

Great idea. Thanks!

Just want to say Welcome!  I've been a tent camper in the past with the Boy Scouts (former Scoutmaster) but not a glamper- let others chime in.

Hoop-Dee-Doo is a Must-do.   The campfire and movie is a lot of fun - we usually take our own s'mores but they have kits for sale (at a premium) but make it easy if you are running low on space. 

Loop/Site requests - faxing or calling as described here always works well for me. http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/loopsite-requests-r125

:welcome2:

Thanks for the welcome and suggestion. Book Hoop-Dee-Doo for Thursday. Right now, I'm thinking of foregoing renting a golf cart and stepping up to a preferred site. I think that for our purposes, the risk of being over in the 2000 loop would be either loud or so far away.... and a 6 y.o.'s legs might not take to well to that.

Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations thus far. Keep 'em coming, please!!!  

Even of you plan on eating most of your meals out, there's still going to be the need for snacks and drinks, especially in the summer months. You can go broke buying Disney drinks. If you need to purchase ice, either go off site it or get it from the meadow trading post. The ice machines at the bathrooms are not that hard of ice and it melts quickly.