What type of camping unit are you using? Bluewater Key Resort has restrictions prohibiting tents, pop-ups, truck campers and even hybrids, and requires that travel trailers be at least 24' long to camp there.http://www.bluewaterkey.com/

TCD

i meet the camper rule, but can't find their pet restrictions. Not sure if Niko would be welcome. $155 per night in season is a bit steep. At that price FW is a bargain.

We saw lots of pets- they have a dog run. And yes, it is VERY expensive. For my wife, I, our kids, and my in-laws, it was right about $199/night. BUT- we had a waterfront site with our own boat dock and went swimming on Christmas Day. The sites have vegetation that keeps them private between each other. I would go back. And it was still a fraction of the price of what my wife's aunt and grandmother paid for a tiny hotel room.

As for places to stay, they don't allow arrivals after 5pm or something like that. We decided to stay a night in Miami at Larry and Penny Thompson Park so that we would have an easy drive in on our arrival day.

Coming home, we made it to Jacksonville the first night of driving. I know that's too Far East for you, but it gives you a ballpark of how far up Florida is realistic.

Depending on if you want to spend most of your time in Key west or not I would also look at some of the other keys. If I remember correctly the farther from Key West the cheaper things got. There are also some state parks and such. Not a horrible distance to Key West though might be a pain driving or taxiing if you plan on spending a lot of time on Duval.

As for on the way down depending on what you consider halfway and what time you would like to get into the keys anywhere between Ocala and Naples would be a good stopping point. There are a few state parks not far off 75 plus plenty of little parks scattered about. If you are taking the turn pike there is a small park right at the beginning of the turn pike called Villager rv park in Wildwood Fl, we stayed there when we picked up our new trailer. It is nothing special but a decent place to spend the night right off the turn pike was 24.00 a night for full hookups (no cable, but wifi that worked well).

If you are going during the winter I would definitely plan on booking well ahead of time and if in the end of July beginning of August is lobster season in the keys and prices sky rocket around that time.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if you need help with this still but the Big Pine Key fishing camp is AWESOME!! They do not have a website but the people are wonderful, the cleanest restrooms and showers I have ever seen at a campground, boat dock, small beach, daily activities and nightly socials. About 30-45 mins from Key West.

Great info - thanks!

And WELCOME :wave1: