What Does it Cost to be a Full-Time RVer?

With 5 cars plus the motorhome, and 3 teenage drivers, I don't even want to know how much I am paying.

Considering that you live in Tennessee, and I'm in Florida, I'll bet I have it much worse than you do.

And if that's not bad enough, you should see what it costs me for homeowner's insurance.

TCD

With 5 cars plus the motorhome, and 3 teenage drivers, I don't even want to know how much I am paying.

Considering that you live in Tennessee, and I'm in Florida, I'll bet I have it much worse than you do.

And if that's not bad enough, you should see what it costs me for homeowner's insurance.

TCD

I'm sure you're right. And you should see the electric rates I pay. I love the TVA. Tennessee has a low cost of living for sure.

TCD

But we have sunshine equity TCD !  At least that's what everyone tells you when you complain about the cost of living down here.

When we first moved here in 78, prices for the most part were definitely cheaper overall.

Meat was more expensive, but cheaper produce offset that.

Rents, utilities, insurance, etc. were all a lot cheaper than NY.

But not anymore.  Our automotive and homeowners insurances are probably close to the highest in the US.

Our sales tax has crept up there, but our wages have stagnated a long time ago.

But not anymore.  Our automotive and homeowners insurances are probably close to the highest in the US.

Sadly, the Florida government has been bought and paid for by insurance companies and other special interest groups. And, Duke Energy has had the unhampered ability to gouge its customers (of which I am one) for years. 

It's an absolute shame.

TCD

Sadly, the Florida government has been bought and paid for by insurance companies and other special interest groups. And, Duke Energy has had the unhampered ability to gouge its customers (of which I am one) for years. 

It's an absolute shame.

TCD

Yeah, the good weather is a plus, but sunshine doesn't pay the bills.

If you're working all the time trying to make ends meet, you don't have time or the $$ to enjoy the benefits of living down here.

Yeah, the good weather is a plus, but sunshine doesn't pay the bills.

If you're working all the time trying to make ends meet, you don't have time or the $$ to enjoy the benefits of living down here.

That is so true!

I have to tell people that all the time when they ask why I left Florida to move to Louisiana. 

WBI

Rents, utilities, insurance, etc. were all a lot cheaper than NY.

Snow aside, one of the reasons we like southern NH is that our cost of living is relatively low compared to much of the Northeast, even though we're still only 45 minutes from the ocean, mountains and Boston.

No sales tax, no state income tax - and no chance of getting elected governor if you even hint at either. 8)

Car insurance, cost of groceries, etc. are all relatively low.  The 2 places they get us are real estate taxes, which vary greatly town by town (ours runs about in the middle) and annual auto registration - although that's still much less than 5 minutes over the line in MA.

I know that TX is a popular residency state for full-timers, but I'm not exactly sure why that is.

Snow aside, one of the reasons we like southern NH is that our cost of living is relatively low compared to much of the Northeast, even though we're still only 45 minutes from the ocean, mountains and Boston.

No sales tax, no state income tax - and no chance of getting elected governor if you even hint at either. B)

Car insurance, cost of groceries, etc. are all relatively low.  The 2 places they get us are real estate taxes, which vary greatly town by town (ours runs about in the middle) and annual auto registration - although that's still much less than 5 minutes over the line in MA.

I know that TX is a popular residency state for full-timers, but I'm not exactly sure why that is.

What does yours run?

2000 Durango about $45

2002 Ram 1500 2 dr  $50

1995 Corolla $40

800 pound 1988 pop up $30

Ok I looked at our policy. We are paying $1657.32 every six months which comes to roughly $276 per month. That is for 3 vehicles and our travel trailer. There are 3 drivers one being an almost 19 year old son. The vehicles are 2001 Dodge 1500, 2002 Honda Odyssey and 2010 Kia Forte.

What does yours run?

2000 Durango about $45

2002 Ram 1500 2 dr  $50

1995 Corolla $40

800 pound 1988 pop up $30

Don't forget that those are half what they were last year and for years before that.  Our vehicle registration fees suddenly were reduced by 50% when Rick Scott figured he needed to throw voters a bone, and pushed that "tax cut" through in time for him to use it to get reelected.  They'll be back up to where they were before you know it.

TCD

Don't forget that those are half what they were last year and for years before that.  Our vehicle registration fees suddenly were reduced by 50% when Rick Scott figured he needed to throw voters a bone, and pushed that "tax cut" through in time for him to use it to get reelected.  They'll be back up to where they were before you know it.

TCD

I thought the average reduction was $25?

Dang that guy.  He tricked me into voting for him.

TCD

You could be right, but I don't remember my truck costing $100 last year.

I know he did away with the discount if you renewed for 2 years.  They asked me last week if I wanted to do 2 years and the price was the same as 1 year but double.

As it was, it cost me $250 to renew 2 vehicles, a pop up, and add the Toyota (and I had a plate, so no impact fees).

Cost me another $80 today to transfer a plate to a different vehicle.

I'd better get a damn Christmas card from our tax collectors office this year!

It's an absolute shame.

TCD

Now you did it. Had to bring up Duke Energy didn't you.  :soapbox: 

When I was still under Progress Energy, Florida Power and Light to y'all down that way, I always enjoyed the lower rates I had over Duke customers. Then one day a bunch of state regulators agreed with Duke it would be good for them to buy out Progress Energy and that they would keep everybody's rates the same. Ha. Overnight mine went up about 15%, perfectly timed with the change of name on the billing statement. Now they want the customer to pick up the tab for their negligence with managing coal ash ponds although the only beneficiaries were the shareholders.

When I was still under Progress Energy, Florida Power and Light to y'all down that way, I always enjoyed the lower rates I had over Duke customers. Then one day a bunch of state regulators agreed with Duke it would be good for them to buy out Progress Energy and that they would keep everybody's rates the same. Ha. Overnight mine went up about 15%, perfectly timed with the change of name on the billing statement. Now they want the customer to pick up the tab for their negligence with managing coal ash ponds although the only beneficiaries were the shareholders.

Down here Duke customers have been paying for a nuclear plant that is never going to be built!