We have a small Coleman pop up with 1 fold out step.

The drop from the floor to the first step had been a problem for my wife in the past, but she recently hurt her knee and I can see it being a much bigger issue when we camp the end of the month.

Are there any simple small ramps out there, or even steps that would slide over the current step?

Even before she hurt her knee, I was thinking of making a couple of small 2x4 plywood topped boxes to add an extra step or two sort of like 1/2 steps, 1 on the fold out, and 1 on the ground.

But I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel and was wondering if there are simpler fixes around that anyone knows of ?

Don't take this the wrong way but what about the steps they make for older dogs to get up on the bed. Not sure the specs but something like that maybe?

And again not making any comment about your wife here. Lol

I had started looking at them, but the couple of simple ones I saw didn't have a weight limit listed.

On another camping forum several folks reccommend this for both two and four legged famuly members.

http://www.solvitproducts.com/page/info/pet-ramps

Looks good.  Just don't know if the steps would work/fit over top of the current step.  I'll have to take some measurements when I open it up.

And I don't think the ramps would have a place to anchor, but it looks impressive.

Looks good. Just don't know if the steps would work/fit over top of the current step. I'll have to take some measurements when I open it up.

And I don't think the ramps would have a place to anchor, but it looks impressive.

Why does it have to go over the current step?

Doesn't the current step fold under the trailer?

Iirc code says a step rider should be 8.25".

When grandma started having trouble getting the two front porch steps I built a set of steps that had three lower risers and longer runs. Well it was still hard for her to get up them. Then I built her a ramp. The ramp was 8' long and 42" wide. The too of the porch was only 20" high. But she still had trouble get up the ramp. I didn't know what to do until she said "I just need something to hold on to."

Light bulb!!!!

I added a hand rail to and that solved the problem

Was solved.

I don't if a sturdy hand rail would help your DW or not. But I hope it helps.

If you give me some measurements and picture of what you have I can try to draw something up for you.

We have a Coleman popup as well and what we have started doing is going out the door sideways with the swinging door to our back and hold onto the door frame going down the first step. There is a small ledge that the top sits on when closed that I use to brace on when going down the last step.   There is a campground that we go to from time to time that we have to put boards under the tire on the door side to level the trailer and this makes the first step going in extra high. When I know we are going there I bring 2 concrete stepping pads and stack them to make a third step so it's not so high.

I too have knee problems.  Tore cartilage in one knee several years ago and now have arthritis in both knees.  Have trouble getting up a step that is more than 6" without something to hold onto on each side.  Rails are important.

We did buy this step which helps me a lot getting into the moho:  http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/aluminum-folding-step/38293

I have that same step as Gwen and have a taller one from Harbor Freight that it slip half way under making 2 small steps to enter camper. I also made a hand rail that mounts on camper for added security for us older folks.

Why does it have to go over the current step?

Doesn't the current step fold under the trailer?

Iirc code says a step rider should be 8.25".

When grandma started having trouble getting the two front porch steps I built a set of steps that had three lower risers and longer runs. Well it was still hard for her to get up them. Then I built her a ramp. The ramp was 8' long and 42" wide. The too of the porch was only 20" high. But she still had trouble get up the ramp. I didn't know what to do until she said "I just need something to hold on to."

Light bulb!!!!

I added a hand rail to and that solved the problem

Was solved.

I don't if a sturdy hand rail would help your DW or not. But I hope it helps.

If you give me some measurements and picture of what you have I can try to draw something up for you.

The step is the side on the camper where the door goes. Side flops open and inside is solid for the step.

I don't have a lot of extra room, so I need something compact. ,the pup,is only 8x8.

I'll try to take some measurements.

I have that same step as Gwen and have a taller one from Harbor Freight that it slip half way under making 2 small steps to enter camper. I also made a hand rail that mounts on camper for added security for us older folks.

Railing would be good, but nowhere to anchor it to the pup.

Here's a really quick drawing I came up with. It's simply two 2x8x4' with three or four threads. It would just sit in the door opening. And would store on the floor of your pop up.

It could be made with 2"x8" stock, L brackets and some screws. Easy peasy, lemon squeasy.

image.jpg1_zpssqemzxom.jpg

Here's a really quick drawing I came up with. It's simply two 2x8x4' with three or four threads. It would just sit in the door opening. And would store on the floor of your pop up.

It could be made with 2"x8" stock, L brackets and some screws. Easy peasy, lemon squeasy.image.jpg1_zpssqemzxom.jpg

a

Looks great, thanks for the quick response.

I installed a socket on side off camper, through bolting at top close to inside cabinet, large washer on inside, for support. Hand rail slips out for travel and rides on floor inside door. Not stout enough for pulling on, but provides support for us older folks who are not a steady as we once were. Tom

I installed a socket on side off camper, through bolting at top close to inside cabinet, large washer on inside, for support. Hand rail slips out for travel and rides on floor inside door. Not stout enough for pulling on, but provides support for us older folks who are not a steady as we once were. Tom

good idea, thanks

Not to sure how sturdy the pup is, its an 85, but who knows, it might be stronger than the newer ones ! :P

There is nothing solid on the side of my 02 Taos to bolt. My pull out step is to short to add an intermedite step.

You could make your own steps with a handrail and loop straps around the step mount to hold it steady/too the trailer. You are goign to need to have a way of leveling the steps to the ground though.

But if there is a big slope to the sight, you are going to have isues with the trailer to step heights.

Would a bigger step solve the issue? You could make a step that would side over/bolt the exitsing step. It would need a suppeor on the end to prevent from twisting the step mounts.

There is nothing solid on the side of my 02 Taos to bolt. My pull out step is to short to add an intermedite step.

You could make your own steps with a handrail and loop straps around the step mount to hold it steady/too the trailer. You are goign to need to have a way of leveling the steps to the ground though.

But if there is a big slope to the sight, you are going to have isues with the trailer to step heights.

Would a bigger step solve the issue? You could make a step that would side over/bolt the exitsing step. It would need a suppeor on the end to prevent from twisting the step mounts.

There have been a lot of great suggestions.

Previously, before she really messed up her knee, I was going to try to make a couple of half steps (look like a shoe box) to break up the drop from the doorway to the first step, then another one from the step to the ground using a simple 2x4 frame, a piece of plywood for the top, and some non slip strips on the bottom.  I'm going to be at Disney this weekend, so I won't have time to mess around with it until the following weekend.... or unless I get a burst of energy to work on it after I get home from work at night.....

good idea, thanks

Not to sure how sturdy the pup is, its an 85, but who knows, it might be stronger than the newer ones ! :P

My pup is an 1989 Jayco. If it is not solid enough, a bracket might be welded to the frame for support.