Anyone have any experience with a preferred route from the Atlanta area to Niagara Falls?  Google shows 2-3 routes, all around 14 hours  (Ha!)  The main routes go through Knoxville and Cincinnati  or Charlotte and Pittsburgh.  Just in the thinking stage right now, but sorta planning toward early to mid July.  Maybe 3-4 day up and the same back.  Time there depends on what we want to do and how healthy everyone stays.  Alternative plan:  Stay home and save money for the FORT.

We did it once a long time ago, from Lawrenceville. I don't remember the exact route we went. I do remember we stopped one time in North Carolina and slept in the truck (we left right after work, so didn't make it too far) and then stayed in a hotel in Erie, PA before getting to the Falls. We didn't really have much of a plan, though - we were just going on a road trip and trying to do as much as we could in a fairly short time (I think we only took a week to week and a half off from work). We did Niagara and then drove up to Toronto and then headed over to New York City. I wanted to stop in D.C. on the way home, but we ran out of time. Still haven't visited D.C. That's on my list!

Though we live in GA now, when we visited Niagara Falls we were living in Detroit so we went through Canada and only saw that side.  Everyone I have talked to about it says that the Canadian side of the falls is prettier anyway.  Are you planning to RV up and back or hotel?  Praying for health and safety for your gang!

Though we live in GA now, when we visited Niagara Falls we were living in Detroit so we went through Canada and only saw that side.  Everyone I have talked to about it says that the Canadian side of the falls is prettier anyway.  Are you planning to RV up and back or hotel?  Praying for health and safety for your gang!

My mom is from Dearborn so I also have only gone to Niagra Falls by traveling through Canada after visiting my grandmother and other relatives. Oh and I agree the Canadian side is much prettier.

My mom is from Dearborn so I also have only gone to Niagra Falls by traveling through Canada after visiting my grandmother and other relatives. Oh and I agree the Canadian side is much prettier.

Passports or other special travel cards are now needed to cross the border. DL and birth certificates don't work anymore.

And I do agree the Canadian side is much prettier, that is where we camp when we go as well.

Passports or other special travel cards are now needed to cross the border. DL and birth certificates don't work anymore.

And I do agree the Canadian side is much prettier, that is where we camp when we go as well.

Canuck side is much nicer. Not even close.

We did the trip last year with the camper...Stayed at the KOA on the Canadian side...Nice campground...Nothing fancy but clean facilities and close proximity to the Falls...There is a park app. a mile give or take from the Falls which we parked at and rode our bikes to the Falls each day...Parking is kinda crazy...Worth the trip though way cool...

We went a few years ago and stayed at Four Mile State Park on US side. Canadian falls are prettier, but we liked the activities on the U.S. Side. Also free parking at the falls lot if you stay at the state park. Also the U.S. Side sells a Passport that gives you access to 4 or 5 different activities at one price.

Best Regards,

Norm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Canadian side has adventure passes which imo are far superior to anything on the U.S. side

http://www.niagaraparks.com/niagara-falls-deals/?utm_expid=7544428-9.XdFePxAVQn-bDs7GRUuNjg.0&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.niagaraparks.com%2F

I have not camped on the Canadian side yet because I don't want to deal with taking animals across the border.

Not sure how much trouble it would be to go to the Canadian side with a motorhome, maybe a cargo trailer, a dog, and three kids only one of which has a state issued ID.  Which reminds me...I was told the DL issued in GA with a star in the corner is an EDL and will serve instead of a passport for Canada.  Don't know about Mexico.  I went to so much trouble to get it, it should be good for something besides cashing a check or buying a razor in a drugstore.   :P   

We moved toward the Falls from Stone Mountain in a roundabout way several years ago, but lost brakes in near Charlotte, generator in New York/Maine, gave up on the Falls to return home and lost the radiator and transmission in Scranton/Wilkes Barre.  Four kids, two adults, and medical equipment in a motel room 13 days waiting for corrective actions from the West Coast.. That room got smaller and smaller every day.   :(  

• 3 weeks later...

I see that you have cancelled your trip but in the event that you decide to do it another year I would suggest that after you see Niagara Falls, or before, take some time to visit the many falls in the Finger Lakes region of central NY.  There are wonderful NY State Parks that have beautiful falls and you can camp.  You would need to reserve ahead of time.  Additionally, the Finger Lakes region is home to many vineyards that have tours/tastings.  If you like to hike there are several state parks where you hike to the falls.  I would suggest Stony Brook Park, Dansville NY; Watkins Glen State Park, Watkins Glen NY, Robert H. Treman State Park, Enfield, NY (just outside of Ithaca), Buttermilk Falls State Park, Ithaca, NY; Taughannock State Park, Ithaca, NY as just a few nice places.  Can you tell where I grew up???