Have I lost my mind? {aka the time I planned a trip for July 4}

Hello all ... need some input from the experts :) 

We are seasoned Disney travelers -- visited the Fort several times, at different times of the year. The majority of our trips have been taken during Fall Break in October, but now our son is in college and we have to mix it up this year. 

Sooooo ... tell me about July 4 at the Fort. How bad is it? We've been there on other, minor, holiday weekends like Columbus Day ... but I have a feeling that July 4 is much, much worse. We'll be in a cabin. Do not intend to do parks on Friday or Saturday. 

Give it to me straight. Have I completely lost my mind? Should be consider the first weekend in June instead?

I've been to July 4th at the Fort a few times. It's fun!! Don't remember how much park time I spent, if any.

we don't intend to go to the parks on the holiday ... unless we go to Epcot. But I think hanging out at the Fort sounds much better. LOL ... wondering what the situation is with the locals? seems like I've read they like to visit on holidays. 

we don't intend to go to the parks on the holiday ... unless we go to Epcot. But I think hanging out at the Fort sounds much better. LOL ... wondering what the situation is with the locals? seems like I've read they like to visit on holidays. 

We've never been on a major holiday... but I would imagine that the parks would be insane!  Outside of that, I would think the Fort would be packed...but fun.  HOT... but fun :)  

I cannot believe that no one has answered the question asked.

Of course you have lost your mind. Don't worry though you are in good company. The rest of us have lost ours too.

As for a July 4th trip, please take lots of pictures and share your experience with us.

I cannot believe that no one has answered the question asked.

Of course you have lost your mind. Don't worry though you are in good company. The rest of us have lost ours too.

As for a July 4th trip, please take lots of pictures and share your experience with us.

I can't imagine a July 4th trip being more insane than a Halloween trip, which seems to be a "holy grail" at the fort.  That being said, we're planning to be at the Fort during Halloween during 3 of the past 4 years at the Fort.  Yes, we have lost our minds too.

The crazy locals who are cast or retired cast are blocked out of Epcot and MK.  So that should give a hint as to how full those parks already are. WDW doesn't need us ;)

Elbow to elbow but the fireworks in both parks is spectacular!  The Fort beach should have a great view of the MK fireworks.

Yes you are crazy. But aren't we all? The Fort is loaded with locals usually on this holiday and they can get rowdy but the Fort popo has cracked down on the rowdies in the past years. I have been there pretty much there on the forth for the past 9 years except one. It is loads of fun though and there is lots to do so don't feel like you are missing anything by not going to the parks. Just remember to plan on anything that you do will take extra time because of the extra people around. Have a ball! I don't know if we are going to get to the Fort this year or not as it is up in the air but we are certainly going to try!

I'm leaning more and more towards July 4 over early June ... we know well enough to stay out of the parks (at least the MK) on July 3 & 4. Those would be our Fort days. We've done late June & late July before, so we remember the heat. We hate it, but we know to be prepared. One upside is that our kids are older now ... late nights are much more doable. That helps. Summer is going to be more crowded than our usual October, regardless. That's just part of the trade off to vacationing with a college kid. Thank goodness he still likes to travel with us ;) 

Thanks for all the input!!