We haven't camped that much, outside of the Fort... but I will say that locally we like Stone Mountain (nice activities/amenities for kids) and Bald Ridge at Lake Lanier is pretty darn awesome :)

Edited to add Riverbend in Hiawassee, Ga :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most any of the Kentucky State Resort Parks.  There are several, and we have had good experiences at all of them we have visited.  They all have campgrounds as well as lodges which have rooms and good

The Fort   Fort Desoto   St Pete FL

Hoping we're not limiting to east coast/midwest.  FAR west..Arizona...just in case anyone ever takes it into their head to ramble far afield...Kartchner Caverns State Park in Benson, AZ.  Also, Dead H

Posted Images

If you are looking to travel north, Peninslua State Park in Wisconsin is fantastic!  Located right on the bay and very near Lake Michigan.  Pretty much everything you are looking for in a smallish area.  The area around the park is really really nice.  Within an hour or so drive there are a few great parks worth the drive.  Whitefish Dunes and Cave Point.  The whole area is worth spending a few days traveling around!  

We also traveled with our kids last summer to South Dakota and camped just outside of Custer, at Horse Thief Campground and resort.  Definitely a campground and not a resort, but it was exactly what we were looking for.  We were for sure roughing it...sleeping in the tent through crazy and fairly chilly stormy nights...cooking all our meals over the campfire.  It was a great experience for our little family.  The best part was that the pool was all ours because it was too cold for most people (but not for us crazy Wisconsinites).  

I have a couple in Massachusetts...Normandy Farms (Foxboro MA)  is resort camping and has been rated one of the top campgrounds in the country......4 pools (1 indoor)...Frisbee golf, dog park, very nice facilities.. right near Patriot place..restaurants, shops...Sites are kinda close together though and rates are in the $80+ range...Horseneck Beach (Westport MA) state run campground...No frills but right on the beach...Need to book way in advance...We have a nice little campground  (Lebanon Maine) that we go to every year called Flat Rock Bridge...Not too fancy but clean and offers full hook up and has 2 pools one of which has a pretty cool water slide...Another neat feature is a river which runs the length of the campground allowing you to lazily tube or raft about 2 miles or so and at the end is a small rock dam with a rope swing!!..WAY COOL!!...Its an easy walk back to the campground...

• 1 year later...
On 5/29/2015 at 5:33 PM, Santa ... Shannon said:

We love Mama Gertie's near Asheville, very peaceful and THE BEST maintained park we've ever been to. Also really like Moonshine Creek south of Waynesville in the middle of nowhere in the woods and mountains... which is the appeal.

It has been a long time since this thread but wanted to say thanks for posting about Mama Gertie's. We just got back from Asheville and stayed there during our visit. I think it is the cleanest campground I've stayed at in years. It was also very quiet which we like. The only thing I think folks need to be aware of is although all of the sites are level, the entrances/exits of some are at such an angle that it is impossible to load/unload the bars on an Equal-i-zer hitch. This isn't a big deal to me now that I know as I can handle the bars in the parking lot before going to and upon leaving the campsite but was a bit of a surprise when I was ready unhitch the first time.   

On 5/29/2015 at 4:12 PM, Mtnmanky...aka Leon said:

(I could be shameless and mention Singing Hills in Cave City, which my brother and his wife own and run...small, quiet, great stop over near Mammoth Cave, but that would be a biased report and so I won't do that!)  :facepalm:

My wife and I stayed there a while back and it was really nice.

We are only a few months into owning our camper but so far

Yes list

Stone Mountain - our go to, close, fun for kids and easy

Bald Ridge, Cumming GA (thanks Nacole and Mike)

Campfire Lodgings, Asheville NC 

OK LIst

Pine Mountain - not bad, just not worth the drive for us

No list

Fort Yargo, sadly only 10 mins from our house but no assigned spots, very tight

We kind of feel the same way about Yargo. We have friends that love it there, but I can't spend an hour packing my truck, drive twenty minutes and then spend a couple hours setting up. Just doesn't seem right to me. I might think differently if we had a trailer, but it takes us a long time to set up our tent and everything else at the site.

The only campground in Georgia we've tried so far is Fort Mountain state park. It was decent - lots of hiking trails, a pond nearby. But man, those bathrooms are nowhere near as nice as the Fort.

In October, we'll be trying Chattahoochee Bend state park. The friends that like Yargo found that one. They actually have tried quite a few of the state parks already. They picked that one because it's somewhat close to the areas where they are filming Walking Dead (they probably won't still be filming in October, though - I don't know how late they film). They took pictures when they went to check and it looks like a pretty nice campground. Bathrooms look pretty decent.

In Florida, besides the Fort, we have two we love:

Ft. Desoto in St. Pete.  I love it here because you can camp right on the water and its super easy to go kayaking and fishing right from your campsite.  Also, the beaches are beautiful and its a great place to run or ride bikes.  A lot of times we camp for a week here, my husband will set us up and he will commute from the campsite to work, or work from camp.  We go here several times a year.

Topsail Hill in Santa Rosa Beach is another favorite.  I thought our gulf beeches were the best until we saw the beaches around Destin.  Gorgeous!  This campground is nice and clean.  It was a private campground at some point I think before the State of Florida took it over.  Some of the campsites could use some repairs as the slabs on several are cracked and breaking apart.  You have to plan to get to the beach because you can't drive to it and it is about 3/4 a mile from the campground.  They do have a bus that takes people down.  We just use our bikes and tow an old baby trailer my husband took apart and made it a fishing cart.  We've gone early in the morning and late at night and seen deer and other wildlife.  We can't go up that way this year, but planning to go next year for July 4th week.  if you go, plan to take the 2 hour drive to Pensacola to visit the Naval Air Museum where the Blue Angels practice.  Worth the drive, and it is free!!  My kids enjoyed it way better than the air museums in Washington, D.C.