Just Got Back; Need to Brag on the Mouse

We just got home from 2 weeks in Florida, the first 5 were spent camping at the Fort. Well, we had planned on camping at the Fort. But it gets better, I promise.

For any who were at the Fort the last full week in June, you might remember that Thursday afternoon brought a deluge. I arrived via plane (and Disney's Magical Express). My wife and daughter arrived via car. The original plan was for them to get to our campsite (1508) and begin setting up. I'd join them to finish and then we'd go to dinner over at the Settlement.

What actually happened was I was dropped off at Outpost. You couldn't see the curb because the water was so deep when I stepped out of the bus! Found out my family had not checked in as they were had just gone on the Turnpike at Wildwood. So, in checking in, I kindly asked the manager that, since it was going to be impossible to set up out tent and gear in this kind of weather were there any other options. They checked. It turned out there was cabin available, which they put me (along with my family when they finally got to WDW) for the night. Awesome.

Friday morning, we got our stuff out of the cabin, went had breakfast at Ohana, and came back to set up our tent. After gear was set up, we walked across the street to the Meadows pool. We had a great time. We went back, showered, changed. Went back to the Poly for the Spirit of Aloha Show--a great show if you haven't seen it!

We settle down. I get my 6 year old to sleep. My wife and I are sorting through some of our gear while settling down for the evening. Then we hear a loud "CRACK" above us. Apparently, the storms the night before weakened the limbs above us. I called the Outpost and they sent someone out. The kind man confirmed that, yes, the limb was cracked.

Thirty minutes later (its now 10:30pm) I get a call on my cell from the manager at the Outpost saying that we cannot stay out our campsite. They tell me they have booked me into the 1700 loop but were, for the night, setting up one of their tents they rent to groups over in the 2000 loop. We were to collect all of our gear, with their assistance, and move there. We could come back in the morning and move our tent to the new site and set up our gear.

Half asleep, and a bit panicky, I initially said okay. But the more I thought, the less satisfied I was. Needless to say, my wife was not pleased and my child was grumpy. So I get in the car and head to Outpost. Politely, I asked to speak to the manager, explaining that we were only going to be at Disney for 2 more days and we didn't want to waste any more time taking down and putting up camping gear. I followed with observing it was now pushing 11pm and I suggested that I wanted my child to get back to sleep as soon as possible, asking was there anything that could be done.

The manager said, "how can I fix this", in which I replied asking if there was any rooms available for the length of our stay at the resort. I asked that they not charge me rack rate and credit my fees paid for the campsites, and I'd pay the difference. The goal was to get my child back in bed as soon as possible, either at the Walt Disney World Resort or at another hotel after they refunded the full amount of what I'd paid.

I wait 5 minutes. The manager returns saying my Magic Band had been updated to open room XXXX (only because I can't remember) at the Port Orleans Riverside resort. She wishes us a magical evening saying that there'd be no extra charge.

Sure, the room was literally most inconvenient (foot-traffic) wise on the whole resort but I was stunned with the hospitality Disney provided. They helped me move dining reservations around base upon stay at POR. 

The rest of our stay was wonderful. We didn't do any parks. We hung out at the pools, ate some wonderful meals--Chef Mickey's brunch, California Grille, the Hoop-Dee-Do Review, Sanaa, and even Dole Whips at the Pineapple Lanai! When we continued our vacation over at New Smyrna Beach, we were sad to leave Walt Disney World.

Oh, and if anyone cancels there week between Christmas and New Year's reservation, let me know. We still want to try camping and hanging out at the Fort!

edit.... Oh, and one more thing. As I a said to a friend who is being lured by all that is shiny at Universal, "You won't get that kind of service from Comcast!"

Yay for the mouse!  Happy to hear that you were safe and that all ended well!!   Sometimes no parks and just hanging out... really is the best plan!   Throw in some good food and hey... not too shabby   :)

As for Christmas/New Years... sorry, I'm ahead of you on that request.  Haha   ;)