Once again Disneyland has better stuff

Seems like they almost always roll stuff like this out one at a time.  Maybe to test and shake the bugs out before they spend money on multiples?

I also wonder if they intentionally keep some things exclusive to particular parks to be able to say "see, you need to visit ALL our parks!"   8)

I don't think it's a conspiracy.  WDW and Disneyland are different divisions of the company, and are managed by different management teams with clearly different management philosophies.

Disneyland management has stayed true to Walt Disney's philosophy of striving the exceed the expectation of guests first, and hopefully making a profit after that.

WDW management reverses the equation, and puts profits above all else.  When they feel they have to, they'll throw a bone to the guests.

TCD

Disneyland management has stayed true to Walt Disney's philosophy of striving the exceed the expectation of guests first, and hopefully making a profit after that.

TCD

The part that WDW management doesn't get that when exceed the expectations of guests first the profits will come.

If you build it, and it's good, they will come. (With there money.).

The part that WDW management doesn't get that when exceed the expectations of guests first the profits will come.

If you build it, and it's good, they will come. (With there money.).

Exactly!

That's how Walt did it.  He risked his fortune to build a theme park that would stand above all others.  Not by a little bit.  By a lot.  He hired the best people he could find, called them Imagineers, and they did exactly what he set out to do.

And then he kept tinkering with it to make it better.

The current WDW management doesn't care about that baloney.  They spend their time thinking of the best ways to separate guests from their money, and are on the constant lookout for how they can cut corners to improve the bottom line. Some day, that philosophy will bite them in the butt, but none of them care about that.  They will just move on to the next company they can run into the ground.

TCD

I also wonder how much the different in guest demographics between DL and WDW comes into play?

I've always heard that the bulk of DL's guests are locals with APs, where at WDW there's way more emphasis on WDW being a "resort destination" - which presumably means people that don't come as often.

For DL, that may mean the need to add/update more things more often to keep the same people coming back over and over. 

I also wonder how much the different in guest demographics between DL and WDW comes into play?

I've always heard that the bulk of DL's guests are locals with APs, where at WDW there's way more emphasis on WDW being a "resort destination" - which presumably means people that don't come as often.

For DL, that may mean the need to add/update more things more often to keep the same people coming back over and over. 

I've heard this too, and it makes sense.

Disneyland certainly treats its AP holders way better than WDW treats theirs.  It is astonishing to see the discounts Disneyland gives to its AP holders.  As far as I could tell, every Disneyland food service location gives AP holders a 20% discount- even the quick serve locations.

Over at WDW, they don't give a Mouse's Butt about AP holders.  There's plenty enough suckers willing to come from all over the world and pay full price for things, so if the AP holders don't like it, WDW management doesn't care.  They don't need no stinking AP holders.

TCD

The other difference too is the sheer number of on property hotels.

I'd imagine not too many DL passholders are staying on property, so giving those folks better perks to keep them coming back, eating and shopping makes sense.

On the flip side, there's clearly a big focus as far as marketing at WDW goes, to getting "heads in beds" with the occasional passholder promo thrown in to fill the slower times.

The other difference too is the sheer number of on property hotels.

I'd imagine not too many DL passholders are staying on property, so giving those folks better perks to keep them coming back, eating and shopping makes sense.

On the flip side, there's clearly a big focus as far as marketing at WDW goes, to getting "heads in beds" with the occasional passholder promo thrown in to fill the slower times.

Good point.

The alleged passholder discounts for hotels at WDW are phony, though. Lately, it seems like there's a Florida Resident's discount always offered at the same time they offer passholder discounts, and they're the same.  As you noted, these discounts aren't really a perk for the passholders, they're just a ploy to get hotel reservations during slow times however they can.  I'm sure if they weren't drumming up enough business via the Florida Resident discounts, they'd come up with some other scheme.

TCD

One of my best friends since childhood. Still lives in SoCal and has been a DL AP for years. I asked him about update & additions to the parks.

He said they do such s good job updating the classics. That the changes don't change the feel of the rides.

He said one thing that loves about DL is that even though they've made changes, updates, and additions it still "feels" like it did when he was a kid.

Weird!

One of my best friends since childhood. Still lives in SoCal and has been a DL AP for years. I asked him about update & additions to the parks.

He said they do such s good job updating the classics. That the changes don't change the feel of the rides.

He said one thing that loves about DL is that even though they've made changes, updates, and additions it still "feels" like it did when he was a kid.

Weird!

Definitely sounds like they're catering to a very different audience than WDW.

I've always heard SoCal residents get a really good deal on AP's. Did you get that pricing?

And they only have two parks, but they have more attractions.

TCD

I texted my friend to find out what he pays. But I have not heard back from him yet.

I went to DL and WDW websites. I know Florida residences get a discount over non residents but I didn't see where there's one for SoCal residents. They do have an AP that gets you in 315 days out of a year. But for comparison I didn't use it.

WDW AP $696.51

DL AP. $779.00

I just found this on undercover tourist.

Southern California Select Annual Passport ($299; renewals $289) This weekdays-only pass is valid 170 pre-selected off-peak days of the year. All holidays, Saturdays and Sundays are blocked out, as well as peak periods such as midsummer, the winter holidays and spring break. Discounted tickets on blockout days have been discontinued. This pass offers some restaurant discounts. A parking pass, valid the same days as the annual passport, costs $169 extra. Note that as of 2/22/15, the parking pass is only available for renewal; new ones cannot be purchased.

Southern California Annual Passport ($389; renewals $369) Valid 225 pre-selected off-peak days of the year. All holidays and Saturdays are blocked out, as well as peak periods such as midsummer, the winter holidays and spring break. Unlike the Southern California Select pass, you are able to visit on off-season Sundays with this pass. Discounted tickets on blockout days have been discontinued. This pass offers some restaurant discounts. A parking pass, valid the same days as the annual passport, costs $169 extra. Note that as of 3/18/14, this passport is not available for new purchases, but existing passes can be renewed. Also as of 2/22/15, the parking pass is only available for renewal; new ones cannot be purchased.

Southern California Select Annual Passport ($299; renewals $289) This weekdays-only pass is valid 170 pre-selected off-peak days of the year. All holidays, Saturdays and Sundays are blocked out, as well as peak periods such as midsummer, the winter holidays and spring break. Discounted tickets on blockout days have been discontinued. This pass offers some restaurant discounts. A parking pass, valid the same days as the annual passport, costs $169 extra. Note that as of 2/22/15, the parking pass is only available for renewal; new ones cannot be purchased.

Southern California Annual Passport ($389; renewals $369) Valid 225 pre-selected off-peak days of the year. All holidays and Saturdays are blocked out, as well as peak periods such as midsummer, the winter holidays and spring break. Unlike the Southern California Select pass, you are able to visit on off-season Sundays with this pass. Discounted tickets on blockout days have been discontinued. This pass offers some restaurant discounts. A parking pass, valid the same days as the annual passport, costs $169 extra. Note that as of 3/18/14, this passport is not available for new purchases, but existing passes can be renewed. Also as of 2/22/15, the parking pass is only available for renewal; new ones cannot be purchased.

Wow, that's pretty brutal about the parking.

These are cheaper than a Florida Resident Annual Pass, but my annual pass doesn't have any block-out days, and includes parking 365 days a year.  Plus, you get a FREE MagicBand.  Maybe us Florida folks have it better after all.

TCD

Wow, that's pretty brutal about the parking.

These are cheaper than a Florida Resident Annual Pass, but my annual pass doesn't have any block-out days, and includes parking 365 days a year.  Plus, you get a FREE MagicBand.  Maybe us Florida folks have it better after all.

TCD

I'd have agreed with you if it weren't for the MB. I don't see how anybody can be better off with those torture devices.

• 3 weeks later...

These look like variations of the FL Resident Seasonal and Weekday passes which don't include parking either. 

According to the Disney web pages parking is $17 for a car at Disneyland and WDW, so after 10 visits you are parking for free, but looks like you are out of luck unless you are renewing.