Hurry all the tickets are almost gone!

Sign of the times? $100,000 cruise nearly sells out in a day

Now we know where the 1% is taking their vacation in 2017: On a cruise ship.

Nearly three quarters of cabins on an epic, around-the-world sailing unveiled last month by luxury line Regent Seven Seas were booked within hours of the announcement despite a price tag in excess of $100,000 per couple, an executive for the line's parent company revealed this week in a conference call to discuss second quarter earnings.

Kicking off Jan. 5, 2017 in Miami, the 128-day sailing on the 490-passenger, all-suite Seven Seas Navigator will be Regent's first around-the-world cruise in six years and one of its most ambitious voyages ever. It include stops in more than 60 ports across six continents.

Fares for the trip start at $54,999 per person, based on double occupancy (or $109,998 per couple), for a room that measures 301 square feet. Slightly larger rooms that measure 359 square feet range in price from $129,998 to $151,998 per couple. Bigger suites range from $211,998 to $319,998 per couple.

While that is a steep price tag, I've actually heard of retirees spending months on cruise ships. Think about it. Every meal provided, daily room cleaning, medical services right on board, swimming pools, bingo, movies, live entertainment every night, visiting some neat places, and some of the cruise lines have really reasonable rates.

Instead of fulltiming in an RV, they are fulltiming on a cruise ship.

Very true. 

It's a 6 month trip. If you figured the cost of a nice, comfortable RV (that you had to clean yourself), camping fees, food (that you have to cook yourself), gas and entertainment... even without being super extravagant, that could add up in a hurry.

If you stay at the Fort and 60 different "resort" type RV parks around the country, you might even come close to that number.

Very true.

It's a 6 month trip. If you figured the cost of a nice, comfortable RV (that you had to clean yourself), camping fees, food (that you have to cook yourself), gas and entertainment... even without being super extravagant, that could add up in a hurry.

If you stay at the Fort and 60 different "resort" type RV parks around the country, you might even come close to that number.

Actually it's a 128 day cruise. 4 months. But your point is still valid.

While that is a steep price tag, I've actually heard of retirees spending months on cruise ships. Think about it. Every meal provided, daily room cleaning, medical services right on board, swimming pools, bingo, movies, live entertainment every night, visiting some neat places, and some of the cruise lines have really reasonable rates.

Looks like I chose the wrong line of work and haven't done too good in my life.

The cost of the 2 tickets are quite a bit more than I make in a year, and this trip will only cover a 1/3 of a years costs.

Guess I need to find a couple dozen banks to rob...

But if you are making tens/hundreds of millions of $$ a year $55K per ticket is only chump change.

We did an Alaska cruise a couple of years ago and met an older gentleman who "lives" on RCCL ships.  For the entire cruise he was wearing RCCL logo clothing and the crew treated him like royalty.  As I understand it he books lower end cabins and when available is automatically upgraded due to his number of sailings. He just seems ot move from ship to ship as they cross in ports.  I'm sure at some point he needs to fly somewhere as a ship can get locked in to an area for a season, like Alaska.

Watching the pricing you can get the lower end cabins for less than $100 a day which is really a deal for housing and food. 

If you live within driving distance of a cruise port you can often find great last minute deals.

We did an Alaska cruise a couple of years ago and met an older gentleman who "lives" on RCCL ships.  For the entire cruise he was wearing RCCL logo clothing and the crew treated him like royalty.  As I understand it he books lower end cabins and when available is automatically upgraded due to his number of sailings. He just seems ot move from ship to ship as they cross in ports.  I'm sure at some point he needs to fly somewhere as a ship can get locked in to an area for a season, like Alaska.

Watching the pricing you can get the lower end cabins for less than $100 a day which is really a deal for housing and food. 

If you live within driving distance of a cruise port you can often find great last minute deals.

I've seen those stories, also about a widow that lives on a ship year round.

But in this instance, for a couple with the least expensive $55K tickets and if they had back to back  to back 128 day cruises, it would be $300k a year.

And unless you are wearing new clothes everyday, you have to figure in laundry expenses.

Nice retirement $$.

Actually it's a 128 day cruise. 4 months. But your point is still valid.

Oops... brain fart. 

If you've got nothing to tie you to a particular place, this sounds like a fun and interesting way to retire.

I've seen those stories, also about a widow that lives on a ship year round.

But in this instance, for a couple with the least expensive $55K tickets and if they had back to back  to back 128 day cruises, it would be $300k a year.

And unless you are wearing new clothes everyday, you have to figure in laundry expenses.

Nice retirement $$.

I doubt too many people could do this full-time, or would even want to, but then again there's that ship The World where people actually do live on it full-time.

To do this once and see a big chunk of the world in the process sounds amazing. Now where did I put all those savings bonds I got as a kid?   :rofl2:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My parents go once a month and once my sister and brother-in-law start building their house they will be living at my parents house and they are going on a couple 30 day cruises. Once your platinum on carnival and Royal laundry service is included