Halloween 2016

Thinking about booking some time at the end of October 2016 at the fort. Curious if there is anything special that goes on on the 31st for halloween. I know about the MNSSHP but was curious what else goes on around that time. I have been at the end of November more times than I can count and love the week of thanksgiving and the week after. Since my son will be in first grade next year, I want to take him out as little as possible. He gets 3 days off the end of the third week for a local festival (which we don't attend but school is out anyway). I was thinking about heading down for maybe 2 to 2 1/2 weeks. Can you seasoned fiends for this time of the year provide any input? Is there a possible fiend party during this time (I think there was an unofficial one last year if I remember the forums correctly)?

Halloween is one of the largest Fiend gatherings at the Fort! There is usually a big party one or two nights around Halloween. The Fort is super decorated by the campers. There is a golf cart parade, decorating contest, and the trick or treating is insane!!  Lots of fun for all!

Halloween is one of the largest Fiend gatherings at the Fort! There is usually a big party one or two nights around Halloween. The Fort is super decorated by the campers. There is a golf cart parade, decorating contest, and the trick or treating is insane!!  Lots of fun for all!

How often or what night is trick or treat normally held? What about the fiend gatherings? Hoping to get in on all the action but not sure how we are going to pull it off yet.

Trick or Treat is usually on Halloween, as is the golf cart parade.

Here's what last year's schedule of events looked like. This year's isn't out yet, but it doesn't change a lot from year to year...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/activities/fort-wilderness-activities-schedule-october-2014-r371

The GG kind of comes together once folks know who is going to be there. Fiends aren't usually big on scheduling things far in advance.  B)

One thing to keep in mind... Halloween is a super busy time at the Fort and usually books up really far in advance.  With it being on a weekend this year, sites were sold out many months ago. Next year is a Monday, so it shouldn't be quite so crazy, but if you're pretty sure you're going to go, best advice is to book your site as soon as you can.

Is there any control over the freeloaders for ToT?

Not usually.

This year is likely to be a zoo just because it's a weekend, so it's possible they'll put out the sign that basically says only resort guests and those with reservations (HDDR or Trails End) can park, but that doesn't mean they'll actually verify every car coming in.  And that also wouldn't stop anyone that comes over on Disney Transport.

I am there 10/28- 10/31 wife wont let me keep the kids out of school on Tuesday so were heading home on Halloween :(

I'd extended to 11/1 and keep hoping. How much class time will they even miss? If they are young enough they'd have a party which makes some of the day useless

I am there 10/28- 10/31 wife wont let me keep the kids out of school on Tuesday so were heading home on Halloween :(

I'd extended to 11/1 and keep hoping. How much class time will they even miss? If they are young enough they'd have a party which makes some of the day useless

We are lucky that our school has a pretry relaxed absence policy. We still are only keeping our oldest out a week though. My wife is going to fly home with him after the first week and I am keeping our youngest the second week.

All I can say is that I can't wait for our trip back in november. I wish we lived closer so we could visit more frequently. Next years trip for Halloween should be awesome.

Mine are currently 2 and 4 so the 4 will be 5 next year and its kindergarten, I extended the trip but have not informed the wife.... Rather than ask permission I'll beg for forgiveness

If I had a chance at a do-over, I would take my kids out of school way more than I did.  There's no long-term harm in a kid missing a few days of elementary school to go on a family trip.

TCD

Chip and Co posted some article about writing a letter to let the school know your kids will be out. It was long. I go with Adam will not be in school on such and such days. Please let me know if there is work he can do before or while we are away. None of this extra crap they were putting in there.

• 1 month later...

If I had a chance at a do-over, I would take my kids out of school way more than I did.  There's no long-term harm in a kid missing a few days of elementary school to go on a family trip.

TCD

Us too - wish we had just pulled them out now and then for that extra week or two.  Would have made time for some really nice trips without rushing like idiots.