Friar’s Nook Barbeque Chicken Macaroni and Cheese - Magic Kingdom

The Disney Food Blog has posted a review of the New Barbeque Chicken Macaroni and Cheese at Friar’s Nook in the Kingdom.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2015/09/28/review-new-barbeque-chicken-macaroni-and-cheese-at-friars-nook-in-disney-worlds-magic-kingdom/

Excerpts...

FriarsNook_15-0-3-700x466.jpg

Friar’s Nook Menu

BBQ_MacaroniAndCheese_15-01-700x466.jpg

Barbecue Macaroni and Cheese Topping

Is that cole slaw :huh: wtf?!?!?

It sure is.  And bread crumbs.

And according to the blogger, it's "spot on" :

The presentation is spot on. On top of the chicken was a nice amount of coleslaw and bread crumbs. The coleslaw was especially a nice surprise and offered a nice cool, crunchy texture comparison to the chicken and mac.

Slapping cole slaw onto something is an old trick at Disney.  Remember the Southern Smothered hot dogs at the Meadow Snack Bar at the Fort?

TCD

Slapping cole slaw onto something is an old trick at Disney.  Remember the Southern Smothered hot dogs at the Meadow Snack Bar at the Fort?

TCD

The old southern smothered hot dog at the Meadows snack bar included cole slaw on it... and it was darned good.  But it wasn't mac and cheese.  That just sounds weird.

Slaw on Hot Dogs is a pretty typical Southern thing. Heck slapping slaw on just about any sandwich is common or at least around these parts it is.

I don't find the food in the pictures very appetizing. It would look a lot better to me if they used a flat tray to keep it all separate.

Speaking of Disney butt kissing. I'm going to Minnie's holiday and dine opening night. I've heard rumors bloggers will be there. Can't wait to compare my experience with theirs.

Your experience will be the same.

The only difference is that you're going to be paying a small fortune to be there, while the bloggers are there for free.

It's amazing how that can change your perception of things.

The bloggers LOVED that lukewarm $20 fried egg dish at BOG.

Me, not so much.

TCD

Slaw on Hot Dogs is a pretty typical Southern thing. Heck slapping slaw on just about any sandwich is common or at least around these parts it is.

The only thing we have up this way that's close to that is a popular landmark up in Manchester called The Puritan where they put it on their fried haddock sandwich.  Sounded weird the first time I tried it, but it's great.

While the name is different, the hot dog is still available at the Meadows snack bar. I can't remember what it is called offhand, but it is the same hot dog/pulled pork/coleslaw combination. You guys have to expand your horizons and read the descriptions of the food, not assume because you don't see the old familiar name that it doesn't exist.

The only thing we have up this way that's close to that is a popular landmark up in Manchester called The Puritan where they put it on their fried haddock sandwich.  Sounded weird the first time I tried it, but it's great.

The sandwich sounds pretty good to me. What's weird is how y'all took a fruit based drink served over shaved ice (frappe) and turned it into a milkshake (you know the kind made with ice cream).  :lol: 

While the name is different, the hot dog is still available at the Meadows snack bar. I can't remember what it is called offhand, but it is the same hot dog/pulled pork/coleslaw combination. You guys have to expand your horizons and read the descriptions of the food, not assume because you don't see the old familiar name that it doesn't exist.

Wilderness dog. Meadows snack bar was under construction the last time I was there. Adding a mug refilling station, iirc.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/cabins-at-fort-wilderness-resort/meadow-snack-bar/menus/

Wilderness dog. Meadows snack bar was under construction the last time I was there. Adding a mug refilling station, iirc. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/cabins-at-fort-wilderness-resort/meadow-snack-bar/menus/

So is the Wilderness Dog really the same?  The description sounds like it is, but I seem to recall some folks saying that it wasn't somehow.

The mac and cheese combos sound good, but that looks like an awful small portion for the price.

Excuse me, Mark, but did you miss this part of the unbiased and objective blogger's post?:

So let’s dig into that Barbecue Chicken Macaroni and Cheese! Like the other mac and cheese counter-service options in WDW,  you are getting a TON of food.

There you have it.  It's not a small portion.  It's a TON (all caps) of food- just like all the other mac and cheese counter-service options at WDW.

TCD