What are your thoughts and feelings about a Tow vehicle

Right now we have two vehicles that are capable of towing about 5500 # each - with our new camper this will only be borderline sufficient.  Because we will soon be a family of 5 - we are looking to upgrade to a larger SUV.  I have been looking but no used models are really standing out to me.  Perhaps its the Gas milage that is turning my stomach but I just get this shrugging shoulders feeling when I look at them.  The Nissan Armada looks kind of nice - but its still not making me hot to buy one.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thoughts? overbuy…you will only regret the first payment… my 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax/Allison has 250,000 miles on it and is just broke in….I get 21 mpg on highway loaded without a towI get 9.5

sorry to hear so many of you are afflicted with fords….lol

Don't know if it's the front of your van, but I see it a lot out the back window of my truck. It appears to get smaller as it slowly falls back...

I always had a Chevy Suburban when we had travel trailers and loved them, I thought about a Ford Excursion but it would have had to been a diesel. I know the Toyota trucks have a good tow capacity not sure what their larger suv is I would check them.

I had good luck towing Mom & Dad's 33 footer using my Dodge Durango (with the 360 & Tow Pg).  Even with that load, it towed well and still got 11 mpg.  PureTCrazy & I are leaning toward a 4-door truck - that might be a way for you to go.

If you are looking for a capable tow vehicle that gets good mileage you are looking for a unicorn, they are mutually exclusive. Depending on what you are towing you may or may not get away with a 1/2 ton and you have to heavily consider the wheelbase as well as the powertrain. Just because a vehicle CAN tow a certain limit does not mean it can tow it WELL in a travel trailer profile. As an example, my 2003 Avalanche 1/2 ton struggled with our old 6400# 27ft trailer, it was within limits and did an OK job but it struggled on hills and would not pull in overdrive. I towed a car trailer loaded down with almost the same weight (much lower profile) and it ran along in overdrive and pulled strong.

Personally I am driving WAY more truck than I need to for my everyday use (2500HD crew cab Duramax) and I certainly would not have bought a $44,000 truck to get back and forth to work with..... BUT, it tows like a dream. Our trailer in over 9000# and over 35ft from bumper to tongue, even my 17y/o can pull this combo. But that comfort comes at a price.

Right now I tow with a Ford F350 dually and have a 39' 5th wheel, I would like to step up to a Freighliner. If you look at a truck I would highly suggest at least a 3/4 ton with that you will have enough truck for a lot of different campers plus you could go either TT or 5th wheel.

I dont know - with 3 kids - I am really thinking an SUV would be best.  Although DH keeps trying to push me into a truck.

We have 3 kids and use my chevy crew cab and they all fit comfortably with 1 in a car seat, 1 in a booster, and 1 just in the seatbelt (old enought and big enough). We have not had a really long trip yet, longest was 5 hours in it and they tolerated it well.;  We look at it as we are gonna have to stop every couple of hours for bathroom breaks and let the kids run and stretch their legs for a few minutes.

190391_1637219725757_1094644192_31334111_7060137_n.jpg

Our new TT is 30' with a GWV of 7500 and I get about 11 mpg  towing the moutains of NEPA.

I'll put in a plug for the Toyota SUV's. We tow a 5,500# Jayco TT with our '08 Sequoia. Even with the smaller 4.7 engine, as opposed to the 5.7, it handles it just fine. I know we are near the top of our limit with the 4.7, but we've towed this through the Midwest wind and mountains and never had a problem. The Sequoia has a nice, wide footprint and does great. We'll get 7.5-9.5 mpg towing, depending on speed and the wind. In town without the TT, it does about 14 or so, nearing 20 highway.

With the wide body it handles 5 people and 2 dogs without being cramped, even packed for a week's camping trip.

If you are looking for a capable tow vehicle that gets good mileage you are looking for a unicorn, they are mutually exclusive. Depending on what you are towing you may or may not get away with a 1/2 ton and you have to heavily consider the wheelbase as well as the powertrain. Just because a vehicle CAN tow a certain limit does not mean it can tow it WELL in a travel trailer profile.

This.

When we bought our hybrid back in 2001, we had a Ford Explorer (5.0 litre V8 with the tow package).  It had plenty of power to tow the rig with us and all our stuff, but the wheel base was too damned short.  Every time a semi passed us we got blown all over the highway.  Upgraded to a Ford F150 Supercrew and it towed like a dream.

If you looking at full size SUV my sudjestion is as long a wheel base as you can get. It helps alot with sway. Before we bought our 2004 Suburban we were looking at all different ideas and going to many forums asking questions much as you are. Everyone came back with long wheel base and if posible 10 to 15% extra weight capacity. A few even say 20%. We also looked at Pickups. In the long run we wanted the interior space and seating. So back to suv we went. We looked at the Nissan as you are. Ford Excursion, Ford Expedition GMC yukon XL and Chevrolet Suburban were also on our list. With the Nissan we couldn't get much feed back about there capabilities as a T.V. The Expedition has independant rear suspension and some had issues with it. So i was down to Excursion or Yukon xl /Suburban. I really wanted a diesel Excursion but they are hard to find. I ened up getting a 1500 suburban. I almost wish I had the 2500 model as when we trade in our older trailer we could get a much bigger trailer. We have a 7400lb capacity now and we found its a very stable tow platform. I average 17mpg daily with it and 10mpg towing. If I were you I would find the longest wheel base you can for the best price. Oh it also helped make up my mind as im a chevy guy too lol. Good luck on your search.

With 3 kids I would go look at a dodge mega cab. They have lots of room

I second this suggestion. I have a mega cab and it has plenty of room. With a bed cover, you would have more room to carry stuff in the TV as well. The mega cab will allow your kids to grow without out growing the TV. Not to mention, if you go with a 2500 or 3500 CTD, you allow for those future TT upgrades that will surely come.  :rofl2:

With 3 kids I would go look at a dodge mega cab. They have lots of room

I second this suggestion. I have a mega cab and it has plenty of room. With a bed cover, you would have more room to carry stuff in the TV as well. The mega cab will allow your kids to grow without out growing the TV. Not to mention, if you go with a 2500 or 3500 CTD, you allow for those future TT upgrades that will surely come.  :rofl2:

I vote for this too.  It's what PureTCrazy and I have kicked around for 4 adults ...

I have Armada, I feel totally safe and I can get my kids in it car seats and all comfortably.  The gas mileage sucks however...

How is it for towing? if you tow and if you do what size trailer? I'm courious what they are like as a T.V.

im by no means a expert on towing but the old man loves it and prefers to use it to tow instead of his Chevy Silverado, we have towed a rented 28' TT, i personally have only towed it with a 5 x 8 utility trailer packed with camping stuff and a motorcycle. 

I have Armada, I feel totally safe and I can get my kids in it car seats and all comfortably.  The gas mileage sucks however...

How is it for towing? if you tow and if you do what size trailer? I'm courious what they are like as a T.V.

im by no means a expert on towing but the old man loves it and prefers to use it to tow instead of his Chevy Silverado, we have towed a rented 28' TT, i personally have only towed it with a 5 x 8 utility trailer packed with camping stuff and a motorcycle.

Cool thanks.

My turn.  I have no real experience towing a 5th wheel camper, so ...

We have found one with a GVW of ~8600 lbs.  I'm looking at getting a SuperCab F150.  All the GVW/GCVW ratings seem to indicate that it's more than enough, BUT.  For those with 5er experience, would this be enough, or would we rally HAVE to go with the F230?

We have found one with a GVW of ~8600 lbs.  I'm looking at getting a SuperCab F150.  All the GVW/GCVW ratings seem to indicate that it's more than enough, BUT.  For those with 5er experience, would this be enough, or would we rally HAVE to go with the F230?

Ed you got to trust me on this one. Mike says to get a F250.

I am going to pm you

Mike says it was a pleasure talking to you. Now all you gotta do is get the truck and 5er.

(After learning what Ed had in mind he said the F150 would do the job)

Ed you got to trust me on this one. Mike says to get a F250.

I am going to pm you

Mike says it was a pleasure talking to you. Now all you gotta do is get the truck and 5er.

(After learning what Ed had in mind he said the F150 would do the job)

It was great talking to Mike and getting his expertise added to the mix.  Monday, I should have a better feel for things when they actually have the truck on the lot.  If it isn't what they described, there always more to look at.  PureTCrazy is living up to her name about the 5er  :rofl2:

You need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. With a 5 th wheel a 8 foot bed is also better.

A 1 ton is WAY more truck than we need - and there won't be any 'moving up' in size.  I may go with the 3/4 ton if the F150 isn't what they promised ...

Runner without sounding like you know who. Just make sure your pin weight doesn't cause you to exceed your rear axle weight of the pickup. Keep in mind most times what the rv tells you about weights is b.s. and it's actually heavier.

Even if it's just under the 150s suspansion isn't as stuff and rolls more then the 250. It might not be as stable. Good luck getting the combo that works best for you and please post pics when you get it.