What are your thoughts and feelings about a Tow vehicle

It's funny the car like interior is what I can't stand about Toyota. But I have always driven 3/4 and1 ton trucks so I like a truck feel. We just got rid of my wife's Tacoma. We got her a 4door jeep wrangler Sahara. Not a tow vehicle but it feels more truck like then the Tacoma did. Even GM trucks feel to car like to me. But that's why there different brands so everybody can find what they like. I will say the tundra rear window that rolls down is very cool.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thoughts? overbuy…you will only regret the first payment… my 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax/Allison has 250,000 miles on it and is just broke in….I get 21 mpg on highway loaded without a towI get 9.5

sorry to hear so many of you are afflicted with fords….lol

Don't know if it's the front of your van, but I see it a lot out the back window of my truck. It appears to get smaller as it slowly falls back...

My neighbor always tells me, if you want a truck for work, buy a ford, if you want a truck for comfort, buy a Chevy/GMC and if you want a truck for speed, buy a Dodge. For the most part, I think he hit the nail on the head.

I am curious what the new Transit vans are going to be like. I grew up riding in the last bench seat of a E150 with the dog beside me. For hauling a family and TT nothing beat the full sized vans. But the current ones have not changed in 20 years, since the 92 redesign with the ttb front end.

Oh, I was moved up to the passenger/ navigator seat after mom directed dad thru Chicago durning Friday night rush hour in a thunderstorm.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It's funny the car like interior is what I can't stand about Toyota. But I have always driven 3/4 and1 ton trucks so I like a truck feel. We just got rid of my wife's Tacoma. We got her a 4door jeep wrangler Sahara. Not a tow vehicle but it feels more truck like then the Tacoma did. Even GM trucks feel to car like to me. But that's why there different brands so everybody can find what they like. I will say the tundra rear window that rolls down is very cool.

That is funny! Definitely different strokes for different folks... as long as we can all agree that the Fiero was a fiasco! Lol

That is funny! Definitely different strokes for different folks... as long as we can all agree that the Fiero was a fiasco! Lol

Hey, I owned 3 fiero's. loved each of them. The public did not give the GT enough time to make a name for it self. Fun little car with the V6.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We tow our "09 Flagstaff 29ft V-lite with our 2007 Toyota Tundra, 4 X 4 with the 5.7 lt without a problem; plenty of power for the hills. The Tundra is a four door (not crew max) and we have had our 6" 4" son in the back with two grandson's in car seats in the back seat with him and everyone fit just fine.  The Tundra averages about 12-14 mpg when towing the RV (depending on how many attachments we get trying to suck off our gas  >:(   )  We have an excellent Reese hitch with the anti-sway package.  I will say that part of what makes the V-lite so nice to tow is the RV has the torsion-flex suspension and not a leaf spring suspension.  We also have a 7 X 14 ft V-nose cargo trailer that has the torsion-flex suspension.  We had the cargo trailer first and after hauling all of our youngest son's possessions from western NY to Winter Park FL (and back) having the torsion-flex suspension was #1 on the list for must have in the RV when we were looking to upgrade from the pop-up. 

• 7 months later...

I tow 35 feet 8500. Lbs with my tundra no problem going down a wet bridge yesterday guy stopped yesterday trailer brakes locked tundra stopped it no problem and wow power all that I need

I would back your brake controller off some, you don't really want the  trailer brakes locking up all the time, unless you like to replace tires from them flat spotting. Just my opinion.

What does that mean?  Sorry... I know that's probably a really basic question  :unsure:

A short wheelbase vehicle will give you a lot more sway when towing, when the trailer pushes you around. So a Explorer is a short wheel base vehicle compared to say a Expedition, I would try for a longer vehicle plus a good hitch set up.

A short wheelbase vehicle will give you a lot more sway when towing, when the trailer pushes you around. So a Explorer is a short wheel base vehicle compared to say a Expedition, I would try for a longer vehicle plus a good hitch set up.

Haha... that didn't help me much, but I did google it and found this:  The wheelbase of a vehicle equals the distance between its front and rear wheels.  So, it makes sense that an Expedition would have a longer wheel base, as it's a longer vehicle.

What gets me, is the one fiend (Carol I think it may have been) who said her father had a truck that was rated to pull the trailer that he purchased...but it didn't work.  So... how do you know?  When you go to buy a trailer....should you hook it up and "test drive" it first?  And even then...for how long and I'm guessing up hills if possible? 

How upsetting it would be, to buy a trailer, only to have it "not work".   :-[

Haha... that didn't help me much, but I did google it and found this:  The wheelbase of a vehicle equals the distance between its front and rear wheels.  So, it makes sense that an Expedition would have a longer wheel base, as it's a longer vehicle.

What gets me, is the one fiend (Carol I think it may have been) who said her father had a truck that was rated to pull the trailer that he purchased...but it didn't work.  So... how do you know?  When you go to buy a trailer....should you hook it up and "test drive" it first?  And even then...for how long and I'm guessing up hills if possible? 

How upsetting it would be, to buy a trailer, only to have it "not work".   :-[

I am sorry I misunderstood your question but you have it figured out, check out the Trailer Life magazine,  this months issue comes with a towing guide for all vehicles. We tow a 39' 5th wheel with a Ford F350 dual wheel truck \, now if you let us know what you are looking at trailer wise we might be able to help you decide. Also on RV.net you can get a lot of info there also.

That's the thing... we're trying to figure all of this out.  IF we want a TT (we're also looking at class C's and just a good ole' PUP), it sounds like you might be better off finding the trailer THEN the truck.  But again... our fiend said her father had a truck rated to pull his trailer and it didn't work.  Can you "test drive" a trailer at a lot?  I had never thought of that before...then again, this is ALL new to us :)

That's the thing... we're trying to figure all of this out.  IF we want a TT (we're also looking at class C's and just a good ole' PUP), it sounds like you might be better off finding the trailer THEN the truck.  But again... our fiend said her father had a truck rated to pull his trailer and it didn't work.  Can you "test drive" a trailer at a lot?  I had never thought of that before...then again, this is ALL new to us :)

I have never heard of anyone doing that, plus how many people will you have in the vehicle, that would depend also. I know it's a pain to try and figure out.

Yes, my father had an F150 and a 5ver that was "F150 towable", but barely. He was high on his limits, but still within. It would tow it, but it was rough on the truck and him. Just wore him out and made him nervous.  

Yes, my dealer allowed me to "test tow" my trailer before I bought it.

Yes, my father had an F150 and a 5ver that was "F150 towable", but barely. He was high on his limits, but still within. It would tow it, but it was rough on the truck and him. Just wore him out and made him nervous.  

Yes, my dealer allowed me to "test tow" my trailer before I bought it.

I wish more dealers would let you do that, most of the time they really do not care. We had friends looking for a new 5th wheel at a show and the salesman said oh your truck will be fine, well she pulled out the tow rating on their truck and it wasn't even close, they just walked away. Smart people

..... It would tow it, but it was rough on the truck and him. Just wore him out and made him nervous.  

This is a VERY important statement.

My 2011 F250 controls the environment with plenty to spare. My family is about as safe as we can be when hauling our 30 ft TT.

Stop worrying about it and just buy a 2011 Ford F250. That is my advice. Don't settle. :)

This is a VERY important statement.

My 2011 F250 controls the environment with plenty to spare. My family is about as safe as we can be when hauling our 30 ft TT.

Stop worrying about it and just buy a 2011 Ford F250. That is my advice. Don't settle. :)

Well I prefer the 2012 f-350.