Star Wars Episode VII- ****SPOILERS**** Discussion for those who have seen the movie

I think we need a thread where those who have seen the movie can discuss it, and not spoil it for those who haven't.

So, let's do this.

If you haven't seen the movie, stop reading and close this thread!

I thought it was great how some questions were answered, but how many were left unanswered.

I thought for sure that Rey is Luke's daughter, but after that last scene, I don't know.

TCD

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've seen an explanation of how Rey could be Han and Leia's daughter stating that maybe Luke took her to Jakku and then wiped Han and Leia's minds to protect her. I have a sister who is in to the Expa

My son also thinks Rey is somehow related to Obi-Wan. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No idea, she just didn't want to see him die...  to each her own, and there's always a lot of wiggle room in Star Wars movies... sometimes I feel like they were written by lawyers with numerous loopho

Before the movie was release the blogsphere was all atwitter insisting  Rey and Kylo Ren were brother/sister.

If they are, then Han and Leia must've had their memories erased (or they just got senile)!

People still say she is Han's daughter with her innate mechanical abilities, but see below, she knew her father at one time and he must've know her so even if she was a love child of Han, he would've know about her based on that one scene.

With the flashbacks Rey got first touching the lightsaber, her strong Force usage in such a short time, and the looks at the end, I think she is Lukes daughter.  That might be why Leia feels something towards her near the end since she would be her Aunt

Only thing that threw me, was her flashback when she was a child crying at a spaceship saying daddy/father and it looked like the Milleniun Falcon.

I liked the homeage back to the original movie, the fight scenes, attacking a tiny spot on a "Death Planet" to blow it up, but that's why a lot of detractors on IMDB are complaining.  They said it's a remake with different characters, not a new movie.

My wife thinks Han somehow survived.  Granddaughter and I think he's a goner.

Did you know Daniel Craig was in the movie?

No, I didn't know Daniel Craig was in the movie.

Up until that last scene, I was sure that Rey is Luke's daughter, but there was no reaction from him when she found him.  But, perhaps that was shock.  Maybe he Jedi mind-wiped her when he dropped her at Jakku, and never expected to see her again?  But, it seems too obvious that she's Luke's daughter.  And they like to mislead us in Star Wars.

I'm sure that Kylo Ren survived, and it's possible that Han did too, but somehow I don't think he did.  The new movies are going to be about Rey, Finn and Poe, and they don't need Han anymore.  And Harrison Ford is famous for saying he wanted George Lucas to kill Han in one of the original movies.

TCD

He was the Stormtrooper that Rey did the mind control on when she was captured.

Carrie Fishers daughter was in it also.  I didn't know she was in Scream Queens.

And there are a few references to The Beastie Boys in it.  Way to obscure for me to catch.

He was the Stormtrooper that Rey did the mind control on when she was captured.

Carrie Fishers daughter was in it also.  I didn't know she was in Scream Queens.

And there are a few references to The Beastie Boys in it.  Way to obscure for me to catch.

I didn't realize that was Daniel Craig.  I thought that scene was great, too.  I loved it when she told him to drop his gun at the last second and he did.  LOL.

Why are there Beastie Boys references?

TCD

I too think Rey is Luke's daughter.  We were discussing if she could be Hans daughter but figured since they didn't speak of her it wouldn't make sense. 

However, could she be a descendant of Obi Wan (great niece, whatever)?

Also, what showed me what a good movie this is was how mad I got when Hans was killed (?).  I was so angry it almost spoiled the movie.

I think Hans is dead since Leia sensed it happened.  However, I wouldn't be surprise if he makes an appearance similar to Obi Wan and Darth Vadar after their deaths.

The question I have is how did Rey know to command the stormtrooper to release her shackles and drop his weapon if she thought the force and Luke was a myth?  Why would she even think to do that unless the force has some instinctive qualities?

I too think Rey is Luke's daughter.  We were discussing if she could be Hans daughter but figured since they didn't speak of her it wouldn't make sense. 

Also, what showed me what a good movie this is was how mad I got when Hans was killed (?).  I was so angry it almost spoiled the movie.

I think Hans is dead since Leia sensed it happened.  However, I wouldn't be surprise if he makes an appearance similar to Obi Wan and Darth Vadar after their deaths.

The question I have is how did Rey know to command the stormtrooper to release her shackles and drop his weapon if she thought the force and Luke was a myth?  Why would she even think to do that unless the force has some instinctive qualities?

The weird little inn-keeper told her the force was all around and she needed to close her eyes and accept it or something to that effect...

My wife thinks that Leia somehow has saved Han with her powers. 

And wasn't the Captain Phasma character a big letdown?

Based on all the blogs, the various different collectables coming out, I thought she was going to be a major player.

Two quick scenes, or did I doze off and miss something?

Well, this movie left a lot of speculation as to what episode 8 will bring. I believe Han is dead. JJ wanted to bring a new generation to the Star Wars world. I think using the old characters to blend in the new ones is a great idea. Han was put in this movie for exactly that. I thought he did a great performance with him being 75yo and doing a great job getting back into character after 30 years. My wife and I thought Daisy Ridley nailed it. She did such an awesome job and they picked the right actress. You will see her going places in Hollywood. I always liked how star wars always incorporated foreign accents into their characters. It gives a sense of dignity or sometimes royalty in the Star Wars world. The worst part of the movie for me was seeking the two TV actors playing resistance roles. The Chinese guy from "lost" and Matt Parkman from the NBC heroes tv show. I thought bringing those two tools into such a huge movie was a let down for me.

Back to the unanswered questions. I think they want everyone to leave thinking if Rey is Han's or Luke's daughter. I think she is neither. That would be too simple. The two scenes that stump me are as follows:

Kylo tells Rey that Han was somewhat a father she never had then the hug Rey and Leia shared when they did not even know each other.

We also need to remember, no sequel to a star was movie ever picked up where the other left off. There is always months years or in this case decades so there is no promise we will see what transpired on that island in Irerland

Overall I thought no they did an awesome job on this movie. As some say they were re-creating the original, I think JJ had a lot of hype to live up to and he did an awesome job. Could we have seen where the Vader helmet came from? Could we have found the falcon in a cooler way? Probably yes but overall this kicked some good ass

I've seen an explanation of how Rey could be Han and Leia's daughter stating that maybe Luke took her to Jakku and then wiped Han and Leia's minds to protect her.

I have a sister who is in to the Expanded Universe (I think that's what it is called), and in those stories, Han and Leia had boy/girl twins. Could Rey be the sister of Kylo Ren? That same sister says no, because Han called him Ben in their final scene, and Ben was the name of Luke's kid in the Expanded Universe. My sister says this was an intentional message to the Expanded Universe geeks that the new movies aren't going to follow those stories.

Rey being a descendant of Obi Wan is a good theory. I do think her lineage is going to be more complicated than saying she's Luke's daughter.

I also was and still am a little mad that Han died the way he did. But, I can't deny it surprised me and was dramatic. And it sure emphasizes the power of the Dark Side.

I think Rey changed when she found Luke's lightsaber. Remember, the movie is called The Force Awakens. I think she was strong in the force all along, but didn't realize it. Her saying that she thought Luke Skywalker was a myth suggests that she has heard about the force, and the Jedi, and probably heard about their techniques.  I thought that scene was pretty neat because she seemed like she really didn't believe the Jedi mind trick would work, but she was going to try it anyway.  And she had to try it twice.

TCD

Andrew

I'm so proud of your Star Wars geekiness. I remember only about 4 short years ago you could barely pronounce Chewbacca and Ewok now your quoting the expanded universe. I'm so proud of you padawan

I think Rey changed when she found Luke's lightsaber. Remember, the movie is called The Force Awakens. I think she was strong in the force all along, but didn't realize it. Her saying that she thought Luke Skywalker was a myth suggests that she has heard about the force, and the Jedi, and probably heard about their techniques.  I thought that scene was pretty neat because she seemed like she really didn't believe the Jedi mind trick would work, but she was going to try it anyway.  And she had to try it twice.

TCD

That is a great explanation.  I'll have to impress my daughter with that one (with the TCD copyright of course). :)

Back to the unanswered questions. I think they want everyone to leave thinking if Rey is Han's or Luke's daughter. I think she is neither. That would be too simple. The two scenes that stump me are as follows:

Kylo tells Rey that Han was somewhat a father she never had then the hug Rey and Leia shared when they did not even know each other.

We also need to remember, no sequel to a star was movie ever picked up real gut where the other left off. There is always months years or in this case decades so there is no promise we will see what transpired on that island in Irerland

See, that's why I need to see the movie again. I want to pay more attention to the interaction and dialog between Rey and Kylo.

Good point about them jumping ahead in the story. But, I really would like to see the rest of that scene were Rey and Luke met. And I also want to go to that island!

Andrew

I'm so proud of your Star Wars geekiness. I remember only about 4 short years ago you could barely pronounce Chewbacca and Ewok now your quoting the expanded universe. I'm so proud of you padawan

It's true.

I will never forget watching Hyperspace Hoopla for the first time with the twins, and them not even knowing what an Ewok was.

They've already seen the Force Awakens twice, and we are all going to see it together when they get back from California.

And, look at the TCD twins now- this is them and their Disney College Program roommate saying hi to an old friend (I love their BB8 hats) :

chewie_zpss8keffrn.jpg

TCD

That is a great explanation.  I'll have to impress my daughter with that one (with the TCD copyright of course). :)

Be my guest, but then I need someone to explain what Luke's lightsaber was doing in that chest, and how Rey was drawn to it in the first place.  And, I also need to watch that flashback/flash-forward scene again.  There's got to be some clues in there about who Rey is and why she was abandoned on Jakku.

TCD

I didn't realize that was Daniel Craig.  I thought that scene was great, too.  I loved it when she told him to drop his gun at the last second and he did.  LOL.

Why are there Beastie Boys references?

TCD

OK, here we go...

JJ Abrams Easter Eggs

Good to look for in your second or tenth viewing...

Michael Giacchino

The composer who wrote all of the music for Lost and Abrams' Star Trek films served as FN-3181.

While not a J.J. Abrams Player, Carrie Fisher's daughter, Billie Lourd, has been paying tribute to her all season on Scream Queens, so you kinda knew this one was coming.

635861386844568330-SQ-S1-112-sc21-pp-000

'Intergalactic' Easter eggs

Abrams is known for dropping Beastie Boys references into his work. Sometimes it's obvious, like this trailer for Star Trek Beyond. (Speaking of which, Simon Pegg, who plays Scotty, voices the creature Rey sells junk to in order to feed herself.)

The Force Awakens' Beasties tie-in is a lot subtler. It comes courtesy of this guy. Say hello to Resistance fighter pilot Ello Asty.

Notice the Aurebesh characters on the bottom of his helmet? Looks a lot like "Born to Ill," a nod to their first major album, Licensed to Ill.

635861354614449728-beastie-boys-hello-na

"If you want to battle, you're in denial/Coming from Uranus to check my style/ Go ahead put my rhymes on trial/Cast you off into exile" ... on Dagobah?

(Photo: Capitol Records)

Now, if you'll excuse us, we're gonna go back and see the movie again. This time we're gonna check the tails of all the aircraft for "3MTA3."

635861358712751999-licensed.jpg

"Now here's a little story we got to tell ... about a few old Jedis you know so well."

(Photo: Def Jam)

Ive seen it twice already the second time to dissect it. Here a few things I caught:

1. As a Jedi or force sensitive person, you can see forward and backwards in time. The visions Rey saw were in some sort hallway maybe in a first order ship or base. I believe this to be a hallway in starkiller base in the future before it blows up

2. Next we see Rey left on Jaku when she was around 8 or 9. The clip was so fast I could not make out who she was left with. I als did not catch if she was screaming daddy or mommy. I say daddy my wife said mommy. And for sure it was not the falcon leaving. This was a past vision of course

3. Next I believe we see either a future or past vision of the knights of Ren. I believe it's a future vision since Snoke mentions earlier about Kylo and the Knights of Ren. Especially if Rey was I front of them.

4. The vision of Luke putting R2 into low power mode was too quick for me to see where they may be or who may be with them

5. When Kylo is interrogated ing Rey he sees that she has visions of the island and water. This must be the island Luke is on

6. Who is the old man who gives Poe the small piece of the map? They say his name is Lor San Tekka but I can't find that name in any of older Star Wars universes. Her obviously knows Leia and Kylo states to him,"look how old you have grown". Maybe he showed up right after Jedi

7. If you see the movie again, I sure there are aliens you recognize from other movies in Maz Katanas bar. Just like ET made a cameo in episode 1. I thought I spotted ET on a spicket over the fire in the bar. Too much going I for such a short scene of the bar.

8. I agree they are not following the expanded universe of the books. Why should they.

9. They say if you listen close enough in Rey's vision you can here Yoda and Obiwan faintly speaking to her. I think once the Blu Ray is out will be the only way to hear that

And wasn't the Captain Phasma character a big letdown?

Based on all the blogs, the various different collectables coming out, I thought she was going to be a major player.

Two quick scenes, or did I doze off and miss something?

That's a good point, and something I talked about with my older daughter.  She's a big Game of Thrones fan, and the actress who plays Captain Phasma has a big role in that series.  I thought she was a big deal too- I think she's one of the four characters on the balloons they're selling in the MK.  And, she really was very insignificant in this film.

But, I wonder if there's some connection between her and Finn?  We know she was his commander.  Didn't it seem like she cooperated a bit too easily in helping Finn?  And how did Finn retain the characteristics that he did?  I think there's something more to the story with the Captain, and she'll be a major character in the next installment.

TCD

That's a good point, and something I talked about with my older daughter. She's a big Game of Thrones fan, and the actress who plays Captain Phasma has a big role in that series. I thought she was a big deal too- I think she's one of the four characters on the balloons they're selling in the MK. And, she really was very insignificant in this film.

But, I wonder if there's some connection between her and Finn? We know she was his commander. Didn't it seem like she cooperated a bit too easily in helping Finn? And how did Finn retain the characteristics that he did? I think there's something more to the story with the Captain, and she'll be a major character in the next installment.

TCD

They say this movie is setting up Episode 8 to be all about Luke and Mark Hamill will be all over it. I agree Phasma was HUGE let down. She gave into Finn way too easy....and was put in the trash

Ive seen it twice already the second time to dissect it. Here a few things I caught:

1. As a Jedi or force sensitive person, you can see forward and backwards in time. The visions Rey saw were in some sort hallway maybe in a first order ship or base. I believe this to be a hallway in starkiller base in the future before it blows up

2. Next we see Rey left on Jaku when she was around 8 or 9. The clip was so fast I could not make out who she was left with. I als did not catch if she was screaming daddy or mommy. I say daddy my wife said mommy. And for sure it was not the falcon leaving. This was a past vision of course

3. Next I believe we see either a future or past vision of the knights of Ren. I believe it's a future vision since Snoke mentions earlier about Kylo and the Knights of Ren. Especially if Rey was I front of them.

4. The vision of Luke putting R2 into low power mode was too quick for me to see where they may be or who may be with them

5. When Kylo is interrogated ing Rey he sees that she has visions of the island and water. This must be the island Luke is on

6. Who is the old man who gives Poe the small piece of the map? They say his name is Lor San Tekka but I can't find that name in any of older Star Wars universes. Her obviously knows Leia and Kylo states to him,"look how old you have grown". Maybe he showed up right after Jedi

7. If you see the movie again, I sure there are aliens you recognize from other movies in Maz Katanas bar. Just like ET made a cameo in episode 1. I thought I spotted ET on a spicket over the fire in the bar. Too much going I for such a short scene of the bar.

8. I agree they are not following the expanded universe of the books. Why should they.

9. They say if you listen close enough in Rey's vision you can here Yoda and Obiwan faintly speaking to her. I think once the Blu Ray is out will be the only way to hear that

Whoa.

That's some serious dissection, Dave.

I am definitely going to watch the film again, but I guess I'm probably going to have even more questions the second time around.

Which meant they did a really good job with this movie!

We will all need to buy tickets to the next one to find our answers.

TCD

They say this movie is setting up Episode 8 to be all about Luke and Mark Hamill will be all over it. I agree Phasma was HUGE let down. She gave into Finn way too easy....and was put in the trash

My daughter, who is a real Star Wars Geek, is convinced Phasma will return to be a major character.  I'm not sure.  She and her husband saw the whole Star Wars marathon Thursday, from 4AM until 9:30PM, and then saw The Force Awakens with my wife and I on Friday at noon. 

The weird little inn-keeper told her the force was all around and she needed to close her eyes and accept it or something to that effect...

My wife thinks that Leia somehow has saved Han with her powers. 

That innkeeper was quite a character.  Loved the similarity to the Cantina Bar.

Interesting thought about Leia saving Hans at that moment; but how?

I want Hans to come back in the next episode so I'm searching for hope.  My daughter didn't get why I was so mad about him getting killed.  I think he was the perfect tie in back to when I was 17 and seeing the first movie.  Plus, Harrison Ford did a great job of bringing the personality back.

That innkeeper was quite a character.  Loved the similarity to the Cantina Bar.

Interesting thought about Leia saving Hans at that moment; but how?

I want Hans to come back in the next episode so I'm searching for hope.  My daughter didn't get why I was so mad about him getting killed.  I think he was the perfect tie in back to when I was 17 and seeing the first movie.  Plus, Harrison Ford did a great job of bringing the personality back.

No idea, she just didn't want to see him die...  to each her own, and there's always a lot of wiggle room in Star Wars movies... sometimes I feel like they were written by lawyers with numerous loopholes and ambiguous wording!

I also was really sorry to see Han Solo go.

Harrison Ford did such a great job.

I loved the scene where Rey realize they were on the Millennium Falcon, and how it had done the Kessell Run in 14 parsecs, and then Han corrected her under his breath.

And I laughed when he said "I have a bad feeling about this."

And the chemistry and dialog between him and Chewbacca was great.

Speaking of which, I loved how much camera time Chewbacca got- he kind of stole the show.

TCD

I think Han is gone for good. He didn't have the force so no chance of any Obi-wan or Yoda type appearances. And Harrison Ford wanted out in Return of the Jedi.

I think Rey is Luke's daughter. I remember Ren saying that this was the girl he had heard so much about. I think Luke had put her into hiding before he had started training Ren. Then maybe he spoke of her to his nephew. Only trouble I have with that is that Jedi aren't supposed to have close relationships so I don't know how he would've produced her.

I wondered if Finn could be Lando's son. All we know is that he was taken from his family. It seems like something the first order would do, steal children from their enemies. Actually, maybe that's why Rey was hidden, so the First Order wouldn't find her.

Can't wait to find out how Ren got Vaders mask. Maybe from an ewok?

And what happened was that Yoda and Obi-Wan Kenobi managed to make it into The Force Awakens during Rey's lightsaber flashback scene as Ewan McGregor and Frank Oz were on hand to once again lend their voices to proceedings.

Abrams confirmed the actors' involvement in the film.

"The idea of the voices was, we wanted the audience to feel - but not necessarily be presented right in your face - this idea that familiar, Force-strong voices were connecting with her. At least as well as they could.

"You do hear a little bit of Yoda. You hear Luke yelling out, 'Nooo!' from that moment in Empire. And you hear Obi-Wan at the end say, 'Rey … these are your first steps'."

While McGregor did drop by the studio to record the line, a little bit of clever editing by producer Bryan Burk actually enabled the original Obi-Wan Alec Guinness to also feature in the film, 15 years after the actor's death in 2000, saying the word 'Rey'.

"They cut it, and you hear the performance – he's saying it the way I would have begged Alec Guinness to have said it. It is so crazy perfect," Abrams said.  "So when you hear Obi-Wan talk to Rey it is both Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor doing the voice."