Star Wars Fireworks Show Adding Projection Effects and Flamethrowers

ETA: RUMOR CONFIRMED

From WDW News Today...

RUMOR: Star Wars Fireworks Show to Add Projection Mapping Effects and Flamethrowers?
This rumor is a bit out there, but it comes from some good sources, so I believe it has some truth to it. If it is to be believed, the Star Wars fireworks will become a very permanent addition to the nighttime show lineup at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

symphony-in-the-stars.png

Apparently there has been some late night testing in the park to see if projection-mapping of the Chinese Theater and the facades of Hollywood Boulevard would be feasible. If so, expect to see full street-wide projections just like those in the Disneyland Forever fireworks show that debuted in May 2015. One downside to this addition would be the probable removal of the tall palm trees along Hollywood Boulevard, but that is still up for debate among the cast members working on this project.

Another possible item being added to the show would be flamethrowers on the rooftop of the Chinese Theater, much like the ones used during the Finding Nemo sequence in the Disneyland Forever fireworks show.

If approved, we expect the additions to be made to the show sometime in the Spring/Summer of this year.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/01/rumor-star-wars-fireworks-show-to-add-projection-mapping-effects-and-flamethrowers/

Seems plausible to me.

And, I don't think they'd have to take out any trees to make it work.

The projections they use at Disneyland come from very small, but powerful projectors placed in buildings that face each other.  It would be easy to replicate that on Hollywood Blvd. at DHS.  They pull this off in Disneyland with the trees in place along Main Street there.  Palm trees wouldn't be nearly as big an issue.  I hope this rumor is true, it would really add to the show.

TCD

Ready by spring or summer THIS year. Can Disney do anything that fast? OK raise prices I'll give you but what else.

This reminds me of something. I was looking at the signs people were holding for the marathon and one said "you run faster than WDW builds attractions". Hilarious and true.

This reminds me of something. I was looking at the signs people were holding for the marathon and one said "you run faster than WDW builds attractions". Hilarious and true.

Did you run the marathon, or were there as a spectator?

My wife and I were on the bridge at the end of the walkway past the Beach Club before it descends into EPCOT.

We had 2 nephews running in it.

For one it was his first full Marathon, for the other it was his second Dopey Challenge.

Didn't I read somewhere recently that WDW was going to use high-tech drones as part of a new fireworks show?

Hopefully they will combine ideas and have drone's armed with flamethrowers flying over the crowds.

Now THAT is something I would pay good money to see.

After all, what could go wrong?.......    ;)

Just watched the video on that thread, very neat.  It will be interesting to see how this evolves as the drones get better.

In addition to shows, I see airborne flamethowers as a great crowd control option, esp when Disney needs to empty the park of commoners quickly to make room for a Richy-Rich private party.....   ;)

Just watched the video on that thread, very neat.  It will be interesting to see how this evolves as the drones get better.

In addition to shows, I see airborne flamethowers as a great crowd control option, esp when Disney needs to empty the park of commoners quickly to make room for a Richy-Rich private party.....   ;)

Some kid mounted a pistol to a drone and was able to fire it remotely.

I could see them putting one of those anti riot sonic cannons on them that make people scatter because of the sound.

• 5 months later...

I watched the new Star Wars fireworks last night.

Wow!

They're really good.

To get the full effect, though, you need to be in the park, and in the area in front of the Great Movie Ride, between and in front of the two new projection towers they built.  There are projections on the Great Movie Ride building (The Chinese Theater), but there are also projections on the facades to the left and right of it.

The show also features lasers and all kinds of fancy lighting that you will miss from further back.

In my opinion, this is a huge improvement over the old versions of the Star Wars fireworks.  Now that the big hat is gone, there's nothing blocking the fireworks view if you're closer to the stage.

Make a point to go!

TCD

2 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I was blown away by the new Star Wars fireworks in May so this sounds amazing!

Thanks for the report, TCD.  Can't wait to see this!

I have a feeling that these will have a long run at DHS.  The projection towers they built look like they're permanent.

52 minutes ago, FEARtheEERS said:

We watched these from the boardwalk and I knew they had to be awesome.  

If you get the chance, you need to watch them inside the park, with a view of the Chinese Theater and adjacent buildings.  In my opinion, the projections and special effects are better than the actual fireworks.  They do a great job blending footage from all of the movies.  Some of the scenes and dialog are iconic, others more obscure.  It's a show that you will want to watch more than once.

TCD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For anyone who would like to see what all the fuss is about, the Disney Parks Blog will be live streaming the new Star Wars Galactic Spectacular show on Monday, July 18th.  I suspect that they will be able to have cameras up in those new towers they built and that the live stream will be even better than being there in person:

Watch #DisneyParksLIVE ‘Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular’ Fireworks July 18 at 9:20 p.m. ET

Jennifer Fickley-Baker

by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Editorial Content Manager, Walt Disney World Resort

Today, we’re happy to share that our next #DisneyParksLIVE stream will take place July 18 from Disney’s Hollywood Studios, where guests are loving the new “Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular” fireworks show.

Watch #DisneyParksLIVE ‘Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular’ Fireworks July 18 at 9:20 p.m. ET

The spectacular is the next generation of Star Wars-themed fireworks shows for the park. “Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular,” dazzles with new themed fireworks, lasers, special effects and video projections of iconic characters and scenes from the complete saga, all set to the unforgettable score of the film series.

Our live stream of this new show will begin at 9:20 p.m. ET. Join us minutes before the fireworks start to learn more about how the show was designed from the creators themselves! (A fresh blog post containing the live stream feed will be ready and waiting at the top of the blog on July 18).

Will you tune in?

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/07/watch-disneyparkslive-star-wars-a-galactic-spectacular-fireworks-july-18-at-920-p-m-et/

TCD

Thanks for all this info!  I came here this morning hoping to get info about exactly this.  Is the show at 9:30 every night?  I'm having a hard time finding it on the online schedules.

Also, what time do you think we would need to get there to get a good spot without feeling like we will die in the crowds.  We had an incident similar to DIT's at the MK a few years ago where we were in a walk way (trying to walk) but completely packed in and unable to go anywhere.  Ray wants to avoid something like that happening again at all costs and I'm trying to balance that effort vs. getting to see the show.

Thanks for any info!

10 minutes ago, lklasing said:

Thanks for all this info!  I came here this morning hoping to get info about exactly this.  Is the show at 9:30 every night?  I'm having a hard time finding it on the online schedules.

Also, what time do you think we would need to get there to get a good spot without feeling like we will die in the crowds.  We had an incident similar to DIT's at the MK a few years ago where we were in a walk way (trying to walk) but completely packed in and unable to go anywhere.  Ray wants to avoid something like that happening again at all costs and I'm trying to balance that effort vs. getting to see the show.

Thanks for any info!

Hey Leslie-

As far as I know, it does seem to be at 9:30 every night through 8/21, and then it looks like it will be at 8:45 from 8/22 on.  I tried to find a schedule isolating just this event, and wasn't able to- but you can check dates here:  https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/hollywood-studios/star-wars-galactic-spectacular/

So far, I've only been to this new show once.  That was just with Twin #1, so we were a party of 2.  We arrived at around 9:00, and walked as far as we could toward the stage.  At that time of night, guests are sitting on the ground saving their spots, and you have to navigate your way through these people to get to a good spot.  That was OK to do with two people, but it wouldn't work too well with a large group.

The best parts of this show are the projections, lasers, and other special effects that you can see on the Chinese theater building and the adjacent facades, so you want to be in that big area in front of the stage, with the new projection buildings behind you.

If you have a large group, you may need to be those people who find a place and sit an hour or more before the show.

And, I personally wouldn't do it, but there is a dessert party where you will pay a premium, but get a reserved spot to view the show.  It might be worth it to splurge on this if seeing this show is a big priority.https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/07/the-force-is-strong-with-star-wars-a-galactic-spectacular-dessert-party-at-disneys-hollywoodstudios/

TCD

We did  The cheap thing last night since we do not have annual passes anymore. We took the bus to Hollywood studios and snagged the bench directly in front of the Chinese theater but outside the main gate. I thought this would at least give us the wow factor with the fireworks. Fail. As TCD said,  I guess you have to be inside the park to get the full effect. From what we saw outside the gate, the fireworks look a little more spectacular with the symphony in the stars show, but again, I guess being inside and watching the projectors with the fireworks makes it all work. I did like the flamethrowers that went up into the air. What a great effect. I have no idea when we will get passes again  and it looks like with the way avatar is being built, Star Wars land will not open for at least another 5 to 6 years.  Someone has to be out of their mind to buy a one day ticket and waste it on Hollywood studios these days. One of my kids will be driving by  The time Star Wars land opens, so I guess she can take me and we will get a pass… LOL 

On July 14, 2016 at 9:07 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

Hey Leslie-

As far as I know, it does seem to be at 9:30 every night through 8/21, and then it looks like it will be at 8:45 from 8/22 on.  I tried to find a schedule isolating just this event, and wasn't able to- but you can check dates here:  https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/hollywood-studios/star-wars-galactic-spectacular/

So far, I've only been to this new show once.  That was just with Twin #1, so we were a party of 2.  We arrived at around 9:00, and walked as far as we could toward the stage.  At that time of night, guests are sitting on the ground saving their spots, and you have to navigate your way through these people to get to a good spot.  That was OK to do with two people, but it wouldn't work too well with a large group.

The best parts of this show are the projections, lasers, and other special effects that you can see on the Chinese theater building and the adjacent facades, so you want to be in that big area in front of the stage, with the new projection buildings behind you.

If you have a large group, you may need to be those people who find a place and sit an hour or more before the show.

And, I personally wouldn't do it, but there is a dessert party where you will pay a premium, but get a reserved spot to view the show.  It might be worth it to splurge on this if seeing this show is a big priority.https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/07/the-force-is-strong-with-star-wars-a-galactic-spectacular-dessert-party-at-disneys-hollywoodstudios/

TCD

Perfect info!  

Last question - am I reading this right that people stay sitting wherever they are, or is it a thing where people are standing for the whole show?

Thanks, TCD!!

On July 16, 2016 at 11:30 PM, lklasing said:

Perfect info!  

Last question - am I reading this right that people stay sitting wherever they are, or is it a thing where people are standing for the whole show?

Thanks, TCD!!

When we went, there were periodic announcements being made about when the show would start. Right at the 15 minute mark, everyone stood, and there was suddenly a lot more space. When this happens, try to find a spot where you won't be behind a giant or a guy who is going to hoist his kid with a poopy diaper up on his shoulders. 

TCD

10 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

When we went, there were periodic announcements being made about when the show would start. Right at the 15 minute mark, everyone stood, and there was suddenly a lot more space. When this happens, try to find a spot where you won't be behind a giant or a guy who is going to hoist his kid with a poopy diaper up on his shoulders. 

TCD

Awesome.  Thanks!