In preparing for the new and improved

FortFiends 2.0

...I thought it would be fun to start collecting up some of the interesting and little known Fort facts so we can share these these on the new site as well.

I'll go first -

Did you know...

...there are 4 miles of canals at the Fort?

..."Fort Wilderness" comes from the fort on Tom Sawyers Island at Disneyland?

...when the Fort first opened in 1971 there were 232 campsites?  [glaring typo fixed]

...The Outpost was constructed of pine logs from Montana?

Share your Fort facts and Trivia!  :camp1:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to know about this one... 

1986 ? Pioneer Hall begins ?Melvin the Moose Breakfast Show.?

Melvin the Moose was a character breakfast at Fort Wilderness in 1986. Melvin came from the Country Bears Jamboree ? as the moose head on the wall. You got a kazoo with breakfast used for the shows finale song ?Kuntry Ka-zoo Simfony?. One of the breakfast highlights was chocolate chip muffins. Also providing entertainment were Chip, Dale, Cindy Lou and Alabam. In 1987 the name was changed to Chip & Dale?s Country Morning Jamboree featuring Melvin the Moose. The show was originally presented by Fleetwood and ran at Pioneer Hall until 1991.

...when the Fort first opened in 1974 there were 232 campsites?

Correction here...

The Fort opened in 1971.  The amount of campsites sounds about right, though.

I only got to go to the Melvin the Moose breakfast one time. I don't know why it was so short-lived because it was very cute!

Nov. 19, 1971 - Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground opens.

At opening in 1971:

The Settlement Trading Post

The Tri-Circle-D Ranch

Fort Wilderness Landing

Nature Trail

Reception Outpost (temporary trailer)

Bike Barn (temporary trailer)

6 loops, 3 comfort stations, 232 campsites

In the late 70's the trailers that were the rental units were a Fleetwood product and some of them were 1st used at 1 of the Olympic games as houseing for atheletes, sorry but I do not remeber what games.

Have you ever noticed how the very end of the dock of FW Landing is built, even though it has been redone since they used to do this.

Years ago, when only the MK & then Epcot was built, there were only 2 boats for transportation to MK. On the busiest days they would bring one of the large boats that normally ran from the parking lot to MK over to FW Landing an hour before opening and dock it sideways there and loaded it from the side entrance. Then they would pull out about 25 minutes after & head to the MK. This kept the wait lines down on FW Landing for people trying to get to MK in the morning.

There used to be a small boat that traveled from FW to Poly.

Also, there used to be a 'blue flag' bus that ran every 6 minutes to the TTC from Settlement Depot. It was a quick way to get to Epcot by monorail, especially if you were within walking distance of Settlement & it was fun.

Correction here...

Correction to the correction, FW opened with 231 sites.  The "missing" site is probably site #118 which opened with a VIP trailer on it, not an available campsite.

Continuing - In 1991 there were only 2 seasons at FW Regular and Value.

During Value season the prices were:

Partial Hook Up $30

Full Hook Up  $37

Preferred Hook Up  $44

All prices per night plus tax

Discovery Island and Pioneer Hall both opened in April of 1974

Creekside Meadow group camping area added April 1976

River Country opened June 1976

Our first visit to the Fort in 1974 was a Magic Kingdom Club package for $300.00 for the two of us.  It included 3 days admission to the MK, coupons for your choice of HDDR or the Luau, Marshmallow Marsh, and your choice of other activities. It gave us 6 nights and 7 days at the Fort.  That one week trip was more than our rent!!

In 1978 we paid $12.00/night for a site in the 100 loop. That was with Magic Kingdom Club discount. 

In 1980 we paid $18.00/night for the same site.

In 2009 we paid $78/night for a site in the 200 loop with a Florida Annual Pass rate.

In Feb 2011 we paid $82/night for a full-hook up.

In 1978 I was making about $5.00/hour.

In 2011, I'm not making a whole lot more!! (retirement job - part time = good hours - bad pay)

Correction to the correction, FW opened with 231 sites.  The "missing" site is probably site #118 which opened with a VIP trailer on it, not an available campsite.

Not to be picky, but this is a correction to the correction, correction.

Below is a direct quote from an internal WDW website.

" Opening Day, November 19, 1971:

A total of 40 Cast Members welcomed guests to the resort on opening day. The resort opened with 232 campsites."

Is it wrong?

Not to be picky, but this is a correction to the correction, correction.

Below is a direct quote from an internal WDW website.

" Opening Day, November 19, 1971:

A total of 40 Cast Members welcomed guests to the resort on opening day. The resort opened with 232 campsites."

Is it wrong?

Well, depends on your definition of wrong.  There were a total of 232 sites, but only 231 rentable as there was a VIP trailer installed on 118.  HERE is the handout Fort Wilderness gave out in the early 90's.  It shows 231, but comments on the trailer on 118 for a total of 232.  Forgive the scan, it was the way the original document is, not my scanner.  Funny, my wife accuses me of picking nits.  :siren:

smooth move monique. The thread is now closed. You answered all the questions. :siren:

:siren:

Correction here...

Ah, what a typo that was, good catch!  Pretty good for the ding-dong that started the thread (duh)  1772.gif

Great stuff here, folks - keep it coming!!!

THanks for the info Tim.  Funny thing is that I camped at the Fort in 1978 but I don't remember the trains (I was 5) but when I do remember the trams from the 80"s!!

Sorry, I read too fast.  I don't have anything on the trams other than remember riding on them during visits in the mid 80's.  I always liked them better than the buses.

I remember going to the fort as a kid with Awana and riding on a tram?  Anybody have any info on trams running through Fort Wilderness in the 80's?

The trams ran from 1977 untill 1989 when they were moved to Disney MGM studios for there parking lot

I remember going to the fort as a kid with Awana and riding on a tram?  Anybody have any info on trams running through Fort Wilderness in the 80's?

The trams ran from 1977 untill 1989 when they were moved to Disney MGM studios for there parking lot

I believe the trams ran from 1977 until 1980 and then they switched to internal buses.  Our favorite bus driver that we encountered on our fall 1980 vacation was a kindly man named Aubrey.  He even remembered our names.  In 1994 Aubrey transferred to the Lodge as a concierge and still remembered our names! I discovered he retired in 2009 at the age of 84 and never missed a single day of work.

Treasure Island opened in 1974. Prior to opening it was named Blackbeard's Island.  In 1978 it was re-named Discovery Island. Discovery Island was closed in 1999.

The Fort Wilderness Railroad ran from 1973 to 1980. If you were not a FtW guest you could purchase a ticket for $1.00 and ride all day.

During the 1970s, Fort Wilderness guests did not have to go past the edge of their campsite for grocery supplies. Two FOT's (Funny Old Trucks) traveled from site to site each morning and evening, selling fruits and vegetables, bakery goods, milk and the like from built-in racks and crates. One truck was made from parts of several other vehicles. The other was an actual antique: a 1928 Double A Ford. Guests knew the trucks were coming by the sounds of an old "ah-ooo-gah" car horn or a cowbell clanging just beyond the trees.

There were no paved sidewalks in the Fort until 1976.  Prior to that they were cypress mulch walking paths.

River Country opened on June 20, 1976 and closed September 1, 2001.  Disney announced in January 2005 that R.C. would remain permanently closed.  The first person to descend Whoop 'n Holler Hallow was Susan Ford, President Gerald Ford's daughter.

There's a lot more I could include - but I'm starting to fall asleep!!