I loved the make your own pizza and entertaiment.  One year I had the worst crush on the guy playing guitar and singing, I just KNEW he was singing Brown Eyed Girl to me  :rofl2:

That sounds like Sam.  Dave song more of the country songs. They also opened the HDDR show and i think they also play the Marshmallow Marsh too

I LOVED SAM! The guy was loaded with talent and reminded me of Jim Stafford.  And yes, the MYO Pizza was great!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the 80?s into the 90?s from Christmas ? New Years you could get FREE unlimited cookie, hot chocolate and warm cider. There was a self serve table set up at check-in and at trails end.

December 2009 we paid the extra for the late night christmas thing at the magic kingdom and they had free hot chocolate and free cookies. It was nice.

In the 80?s into the 90?s from Christmas ? New Years you could get FREE unlimited cookie, hot chocolate and warm cider. There was a self serve table set up at check-in and at trails end.

December 2009 we paid the extra for the late night christmas thing at the magic kingdom and they had free hot chocolate and free cookies. It was nice.

Looks like you did pay for those free cookies.

Hey it was my wife that wanted to go and yes we did pay for them. BUT the place was empty. I mean we walked onto every ride it was awesome. Worth every penny. We did most the park in the 3 hrs we paid extra for and still had time for hot chocolate and cookies. lol

Hey it was my wife that wanted to go and yes we did pay for them. BUT the place was empty. I mean we walked onto every ride it was awesome. Worth every penny. We did most the park in the 3 hrs we paid extra for and still had time for hot chocolate and cookies. lol

So was this like a mickeys christmas party?

So was this like a mickeys christmas party?

Yes it was.

They did this at all the resorts.  My DH & I would "resort hop" for cookies!!  PORFQ & PORRS also had roasted chestnuts.

One year at Trail's End (I don't know about other resorts) they had a Cookie Decorating Contest at Christmas time.  Sorry - but I don't remember what year that was.  Sometime between 2000 & 2003.

:( to FortFiends, Farmman, you'll have lots of fun here! We're glad you joined!

Pixie Dust once abounded at the Fort.  Although it still exists, it is no longer lavishly sprinkled. I'm not sure why.

The loop attendants were encouraged to converse with guests and make them feel at home.  Some still do, but most just do their business and move on.  On check-out day if it looked like you were not going to make it in time to check out by 11am, a loop attendant would very nicely ask if there was anything they could do to help you out?  When you arrived, you were asked if you would like help backing in.  Those niceties disappeared in the 1990's.

My three favorite loop attendants were Chelsea, Carlos, and Pat.  Only Carlos remains - and he's getting near retirement.

Crockett's Tavern was once a full-service restaurant.  Lobster, steak, and other high-class victuals were served, along with nightly entertainment.  Sometime in the 90's, Crockett's was turned into more of a sports bar, where you could get pizza by the slice, buffalo wings, awesome nachos, chicken fingers, and other "bar food" items.  You could even get a strawberry shortcake dessert brought to you from the HDDR!!  Around 2004 that came to an end and buffet seating extended into Crockett's.

Originally, Settlement Trading Post was the "big" trading post, and Meadow's was the small trading post.

There was a diving platform out in Bay Lake to the right side of the boat dock - towards the 300 loop.  It was probably 200 yards off shore.

If you followed any of TCD's trip reports,  he often spoke of the Wilderness Swamp Trail.  It began behind Settlement and took you on a rather long trek along Bay Lake.  It was a beautiful, peaceful trail.

I don't remember how many totem poles there were, but I do recall one at the entrance, one in front of Settlement TP, and one in front of one of the playgrounds.

Stay tuned - little by little - things are popping into my mind from the Fort of Yesteryear!!

They did this at all the resorts.  My DH & I would "resort hop" for cookies!!  PORFQ & PORRS also had roasted chestnuts.

The Grand Floridian Resort also had roasted chestnuts. We would go see the ginger bread house and get a few to sample. :banana:

That sounds magical.  Not so much for Chet, but pretty cool for the rest of us. 

Okay - here's some more trivia:

The original site hook up's (W & E) were designed to look like tree trunks.  There are but a few of these left and you can find some scattered throughout the Fort.

The trash cans at the community places (i.e. trading posts, etc) were made to look like big tree trunks and the top of the trunk had a swinging door.

The original name of the 500 loop was "Terry Trail" (after Terry Travel Trailers).  It was changed to Buffalo Bend sometime around 1992-ish.

Originally, the camp sites were carved out of the woods, and you had total seclusion from your next door neighbors.

This is site 915 in 1979. Notice how narrow the site is and that it's paved with asphalt.

Site9151979.jpg

Here's a picture of Meadow Trading Post, circa 1979. Notice that the train track runs in front?  Also notice, there is no paved sidewalk in front of the split rail fence. If you look to the right side of the sidewalk leading to the front door, you will see the trash can I mentioned.

EarlyMeadows.jpg

Here's just to the left - what is now the extension of the 600 loop.

Meadow1979.jpg

I don't have much to share about the early days, but it does fascinate me.  Over the years I have saved images that were on line.  If I am violating any copy right laws, or am posting someone's photos, forgive me. 

So here are some publicity photos and the official comments on the back of these photos.

WDW1972FortWilderness.jpg

WDW1972FortWildernessbackofphoto.jpg

WDW1974FortWildernessPioneerHall.jpg

WDW1974FortWildernessPioneerHallback.jpg

WDW1974FortWildernessTrain.jpg

WDW1974FortWildernessTrainbackofphoto.jpg

And a couple of others for fun.

WDW1971ContemporaryConstruction.jpg

WDW1971ContemporaryConstructionback.jpg

WDWBeachContemporaryConstruction.jpg

WDWBeachContemporaryConstructionbackofphoto.jpg