From WDWMagic...

Disney World website now allows changes to existing dining reservations

An update to the Walt Disney World website now allows changes to be made to existing dining reservations.

Previously, any changes to seating date/time, and number of guests had to be done over the phone or by cancelling and starting over. The new website functionality allows these to be changed online up to 20 minutes before the reservation.

The new feature is currently only available on the website, and not on the My Disney Experience apps.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagicplus/news/26jan2016-disney-world-website-now-allows-changes-to-existing-dining-reservations.htm

Hopefully the bugs are mostly worked out. This appeared a week and a half ago unannounced. I have used ti a couple of time to varying degrees of success but that was still a week ago. Havent had reason to play with it in the last day or so. Didnt want to mention in case it turned off or while it was hugely buggy.

If all goes according to plan, I'll have a first-hand eyewitness report of how this works to share on Monday.

For now, I can confirm the buggyness. Some of the TCD gang may be making a day trip to the parks over the weekend.  I made an ADR, and was able to change it on-line.  I got an email confirming the change, and the new details showed correctly on MDE.  Then they didn't.  But the next time I logged on, it showed the changed reservation.  But then today, I got an email confirming the original reservation.  I logged on to MDE to see what it said- and it shows the amended reservation. Oh, My Disney!

I have my email confirmation and the time for the amended reservation is earlier than the original reservation.  So, I'm showing up for the amended reservation, and hoping for the best.

TCD

11 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

If all goes according to plan, I'll have a first-hand eyewitness report of how this works to share on Monday.

For now, I can confirm the buggyness. Some of the TCD gang may be making a day trip to the parks over the weekend.  I made an ADR, and was able to change it on-line.  I got an email confirming the change, and the new details showed correctly on MDE.  Then they didn't.  But the next time I logged on, it showed the changed reservation.  But then today, I got an email confirming the original reservation.  I logged on to MDE to see what it said- and it shows the amended reservation. Oh, My Disney!

I have my email confirmation and the time for the amended reservation is earlier than the original reservation.  So, I'm showing up for the amended reservation, and hoping for the best.

TCD

Glad to hear its par for the course.

2 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Like going off property to buy someone else's work (their product might work OK for them but Disney is way different)  and then the IT cast has to re-write the whole thing to fit WDW's needs.  Don't know if this still happens but it use to be normal.

Only now they've added to the problems by offshoring and H1B'ing the jobs so you have a bunch of people who are rewriting everything without knowing how to fit it to WDW's needs.

49 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Only now they've added to the problems by offshoring and H1B'ing the jobs so you have a bunch of people who are rewriting everything without knowing how to fit it to WDW's needs.

Although even if you're farming out the work, any good developer should be able to execute a well thought-out project plan (specs) with good project management from someone that does know the existing system. Ah... but there are the 2 catches.  B)

2 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Although even if you're farming out the work, any good developer should be able to execute a well thought-out project plan (specs) with good project management from someone that does know the existing system. Ah... but there are the 2 catches.  B)

It only works as well as the language skills of the person doing the work. It's been my experience that those skills are severely lacking in many of those offshore locations no matter what their sales folks try to tell you. I won't go into the fake degrees and certifications.

Yeah, especially if the project managers have also been outsourced.

While the company I work for hasn't outsourced overseas, we've now got contractors handling all our IT and software development.  They're all good people (and native English speakers) but we  have a really big gap between what they know as solid professionals in their fields, and those things that are specific to our industry, company and systems.  It's made even more difficult by the fact that we no longer really have any in-house project managers or QA people that understand all that stuff. 

Multiply that time a ton for the scale that Disney is operating on, AND with things in the hands of people that don't know the ins/outs of those things specific to Disney OR the language and... :wacko:

I'm pleased to report that I made several on-line changes to a reservation I had over the past weekend, and it ultimately worked.  Each time I made a change, I received an email confirming it.  But, the MDE site reverted back to the original ADR a couple of times when I checked.  The correct and final amendment did ultimately show up and stay, but showing incorrect information could be a problem if you are taking a longer trip and have several ADR's you're trying to keep straight.

Hopefully, the bugs will be worked out.  I do like this option, and it I'll probably end up making more ADR's as a result.

TCD