Curious about what happens when parks hit capacity.  Have never been there during one of those times, but I've read about it happening.

If you go to a park first thing, then leave for a mid-day break, then return later but they've reached capacity, will they let you in because you were already there and part of that number?  What if you have ADR's?  Will you be allowed in for that?

Questions are based on a single day ticket no hopping, no pass holders.

22 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Luckily I have never been around for the parks closing. I do remember seeing a explanation of it somewhere I think on here and that it's a tiered system. I'm sure someone will be by soon who know more.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

neither have we.....when we lived in FL I knew better than to go to the parks during busy times....now our visits are so limited I have no choice

19 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

You can find the rundown on the different phases of closure here...

Thank you!  Very helpful info.

Anyone know if phase 4 happens very often?

1 hour ago, fortpartyof4 said:

Anyone know if phase 4 happens very often?

Not often at all.  I don't recall seeing one in at least the last several years.

Magic Kingdom is the park most likely to see the different phases of capacity closures, and the most frequent times are Christmas-New Years week (especially Christmas Day and New Years Eve), Spring Break week when it falls close to Easter, and July 4th.

I'm with Kelly and Nacole on not wanting to be there.

I'd keep an eye on the crowd calendars and suggested parks for they days you are going and if staying on property take advantage of Magic Hours. If there are evening Magic Hours and you don't mind and are able to stay in the park late I find that the best times even during the busier times of year.

On March 19, 2016 at 0:37 PM, caveat lector said:

Been at the Fort 3 of the last 5 Christmas's. Been a lot of tiered closures, but never "as a resort guest", have I been turned away at the gate

Good to know!  Thanks!

On March 20, 2016 at 10:41 PM, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

I don't remember ever seeing a 4. Not saying it can't happen or that you'd want to be there if it was close. 

Of course I would not want to be there if crowds were that bad.  I was just curious, I didn't know anything about this had only seen "headlines" on here and on FB, was just trying to learn more specific information about how they handle it.  I never knew there were phases.

18 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

I'm with Kelly and Nacole on not wanting to be there.

I'd keep an eye on the crowd calendars and suggested parks for they days you are going and if staying on property take advantage of Magic Hours. If there are evening Magic Hours and you don't mind and are able to stay in the park late I find that the best times even during the busier times of year.

Yes, I use the crowd calendars in my planning, and take advantage of EMH on the rare occasion we are on property and going to a park.  I was playing around online looking at crowd calendars, ticket options, etc. for possible future trips and that is how my question arose.  When we lived in FL and could go whenever, I knew to stay away during busy times.  Now that we live so far away and my kids are busy teenagers, trips are harder to plan.  Usually we end up not going at all due to timing and/or high airfare, or going but no parks because of crowds and ticket prices.

On 3/20/2016 at 10:41 PM, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

I don't remember ever seeing a 4. Not saying it can't happen or that you'd want to be there if it was close. 

It's been a bunch of years since I've seen one and it was MK before New Fantasyland opened - which I believe increased the capacity of the park.  It was over a Christmas week and it was only for a few hours even then.

They've also changed up the phase criteria in the last couple of years, which may be helping manage crowds better to keep the closures to a minimum.

3-4 years ago on Christmas Day I decided to take our son to the MK.  We were told on the boat the park was closed.  We elected to take the Monorail to EPCOT.  When we got there, we saw the crowds below us and just stayed on the Monorail and returned to the Fort.  It killed a couple of hours and he enjoyed the "rides".