The wild womenz 2016 weekend is over and in the books and one of the things we did notice towards the end of the weekend is that the yellow flies had returned.  I, for one, have a huge welt on my elbow that continues to burn for several hours at a time.  I was bit twice on the elbow, right next to each other and once on the thigh.  I know they went after TJ, who visited, as well.  We seemed to be the only victims, lol.  I am one of the "lucky" ones that have the welts last for a couple of months.  

So if you are going to the fort in the next month, I would bring your yellow fly precautions.  Sometimes the DEET doesn't cut it, so look up your remedies!  If you are like me, the welts hurt and stay around for a while.

I wouldn't trade WWW for the world though!  The trip report is coming, so don't miss it!  It is going to be a doozy!

My wife and I stayed at Wilderness Lodge in May, 2005. One evening we took a walk along Bay Lake. The next morning I had bites all over my legs. Being Yankees, we hadby never heard of yellow flies. A CM working in the WL store was a local and she told us about them. I eventually had to get an antibiotic because some of the bites had become infected.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, ceemike...Mike & Judy said:

My wife and I stayed at Wilderness Lodge in May, 2005. One evening we took a walk along Bay Lake. The next morning I had bites all over my legs. Being Yankees, we hadby never heard of yellow flies. A CM working in the WL store was a local and she told us about them. I eventually had to get an antibiotic because some of the bites had become infected.

Those bites sound like they were from something other than Yellow Flies.  You know when a Yellow Fly bites you.  Those suckers hurt!

I saw a lot of Yellow Flies the weekend of April 22nd in a wilderness area near Bay Lake.  We had no problem with them on the 1400 loop.  I think they like the 1500 loop and the full hook up loops.

TCD

They do like the full hook up loops, especially the back of the 1700 loop.  That is where I have (in the past years) had the worst problems.  We have had some Fiends actually had to go to the ER because of many bites.

However, I am still nursing my "on fire" elbow today.  I probably will for some time to come.  Man those things hurt. 

3 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

I wonder how these yellow flies compare to the green heads that bite also?

Very similar.  Grew up in NJ and live in Central Florida. I don't know if the greenhead bites itch like the yellow fly bites, but both hurt about the same.

18 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Just sit on the beach in New Jersey they will find you!!!!!! And they HURT when they bite

They are enough to end a beach day. We were in seaside a few years ago and they were bad. Even in the arcades wended up leaving. They are so painful!!

19 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Just sit on the beach in New Jersey they will find you!!!!!! And they HURT when they bite

sorry, but going up to Yankee land just never appeals to me, lol

18 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Jen, would Benadryl help?  Or a cortisone  cream?  I used the cream on fire ant bites and it did help me.  Good luck.

I have put that on.  It makes it cool down for a while and scab over, but as soon as I bump into something (which you should know by now is every other step, lol) it fires back up.  It is a little better today, but they keep it really cold here and I have a sweatshirt on and I can feel it through the sweatshirt.  I'll live.  I am not complaining, but just reporting so everyone knows that if you are prone to getting bit by mosquitoes, these things will come after you and the welts stay for a while.  I was lucky I only got one good one.  The one on my leg seems to not be so bad and bothering me.  I am wearing the big girl pants and dealing.  No worries.  I just hope TJ killed the little bugger.