Chinese Lantern Festival Philadelphia

This weekend we went to the Chinese Lantern Festival in Franklin Square in Philadelphia. We weren't sure what to expect but we're pretty blown away by it once the sun set. Franklin Square is pretty much at the base of the Ben Franklin bridge and is basically a small park, with a burger place, Philly themed mini golf and a merry go round. It's really close to the Liberty Bell and the Constitution Center (highly recommend the Constitution Center if you ever tour Philly).

2a663f62de0c03ecf3475e2d37018a9b.jpg

You can see Willy Penn (William Penn statue is on top of the City Hall) and part of the buildings that make up the sky line.

1d90c2e53397b4c38c8bb841bb8aa4d7.jpg298ff338a6e5392c514ea1fcd3cfe6aa.jpgc0892e0014a938661748c0cbbf23c746.jpg

You can see the Ben Franklin Bridge

9eca4543d6b9d919d85104c283b7f665.jpg220f498b82d1aee2368b89df212003d7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Great photos!

How do they illuminate the lanterns?  I'm sure back in the day, it was with flames, but what do they do now?  I don't see any electric cords in your photos.

TCD

You know, that's a good question. Maybe they buried the cords? I'll have to look at the other pictures I took and see if I see anything. There wasn't much information about the history or reasoning behind the lanterns either. That's the only thing they seemed to drop the ball on.

We went to one last year at the zoo in Tampa.  It was called Zoominations here.  It was very impressive.  If you got there before dark, you could see how a lot of the structures were put together and yes you could see some of the larger power cords.

I wonder if the Philly exhibit was a continuation of the tour we saw last year?

Zoominations (A Chinese Lantern Festival) has been a hit in Asia, Europe, and Canada. Now, thanks to Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo, this cultural event can be experienced in Florida this spring. February 28, 2015 through May 31, 2015 is the only chance for people to see this dazzling display while showcased in the southeastern United States. It's a feast for the eyes!

Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo is featuring a sensational exhibit of colossal Chinese lanterns. Visitors can observe the ancient art of lantern sculpture as displayed over 26 acres of the zoo. Credit for Zoominations in Tampa goes to artists from the Sichuan Province of China. Millions of LED lights, silk fabric, and dinnerware has been constructed into beautifully crafted art pieces. Giant glowing giraffes, pandas, zebras, and more light the zoo's pathways. Mythological dragons great guests as they tour the festival. It's sensory overload in the best way!

The art of Chinese lantern making began in the Han Dynasty (206 B.C. to 220 A.D.). An art form that became principal to the Chinese Lantern Festival evolved. The lanterns were originally used for the utilitarian purpose of lighting. Lantern construction varied according to their purpose. Palace lanterns were constructed from silk, glass, and fine wood. Their shapes were octagonal, hexagonal, and diametric. Red gauze lanterns, the most highly recognizable, were constructed from gauze stretched over bamboo. The red lantern symbolizes booming life and prosperous business. Another lantern form is the shadow-picture lantern. Using a paper wheel inside that turns when heated, moving pictures are created around the outside of the lanterns. Modern materials and technology are used to create today's Chinese lanterns. Colored bulbs, music, and visual effects enable lantern makers to create technology savvy works of art.