Jump to content
twiceblessed....nacole

Temperature Monitor in RV

Recommended Posts

Question:  Has anyone used (or heard reviews on) a temperature monitor for inside the RV?   I thought it might be a good idea to get one... the kind that can send you a text if the temperature is getting too warm in your RV.  We, of course, leave the a/c on when we leave...but if the power were to go off, I would imagine that the rig would get very hot, very quickly.

Thoughts??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are many on the market.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=remote%20temperature%20monitor

The only issue with these is you have to have reliable Wi-Fi at the camper. Probably not an issue at the Fort, but other campgrounds........ well.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I asked a similar question a year ago on another forum if anyone had real world experience with one.  No responses.  I would like to know a reliable one as well because of the mutts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bhall said:

I asked a similar question a year ago on another forum if anyone had real world experience with one.  No responses.  I would like to know a reliable one as well because of the mutts.

Just a suggestion, but have you contacted your police/Sheriff Department K-9 unit and ask what they use to monitor their vehicles when they leave their dogs in them? 

You are going to have to get some sort of monitor that transmits signal over Wi-Fi or cellular to either a cloud monitoring service or that can dial your cell phones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Not what you are looking for but something related. Pretty sure Gwen posted before that she puts her cell number on the outside of her rv? It's brilliant. When we were camping over the summer the power went out over the back 1/3 of the campground and the people next to us had dogs in the camper. It would have made my life easier if I could have called them instead of searching the whole campground to find them. They had no idea because the front where they were hanging out had power. Power was out for a few hours and it was a billion degrees out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Travisma said:

Just a suggestion, but have you contacted your police/Sheriff Department K-9 unit and ask what they use to monitor their vehicles when they leave their dogs in them? 

You are going to have to get some sort of monitor that transmits signal over Wi-Fi or cellular to either a cloud monitoring service or that can dial your cell phones.

 

9 hours ago, Beckers said:

 

Not what you are looking for but something related. Pretty sure Gwen posted before that she puts her cell number on the outside of her rv? It's brilliant. When we were camping over the summer the power went out over the back 1/3 of the campground and the people next to us had dogs in the camper. It would have made my life easier if I could have called them instead of searching the whole campground to find them. They had no idea because the front where they were hanging out had power. Power was out for a few hours and it was a billion degrees out.

Both great ideas.  Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

Check out this thread over at the Heartland Owners Group, I've been following it for a while.  There is something mentioned specifically called a Blink- it's new to the market, but has gotten good reviews.

https://www.heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/56566-checking-on-pets-left-in-trailer-alone

Thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2016 at 7:30 PM, Travisma said:

Just a suggestion, but have you contacted your police/Sheriff Department K-9 unit and ask what they use to monitor their vehicles when they leave their dogs in them? 

You are going to have to get some sort of monitor that transmits signal over Wi-Fi or cellular to either a cloud monitoring service or that can dial your cell phones.

We don't have K-9 Units locally but I asked my step brother who was a cop in York, PA. and then a PA Capitol Policemen and he didn't know as he didn't work with K9s.  Unfortunately, he made national news 5 years ago.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2011/mar/07/pa-man-charged-dragging-police-officer-car/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2016 at 8:13 AM, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Thank you!!

Yes, thanks. 

Nacole, is this something you think you might like?  I'm not sure exactly how it will alert you to temperatures.  From their website I see that it monitors temps, but I didn't see how it will alert.  Maybe I overlooked it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bhall said:

Yes, thanks. 

Nacole, is this something you think you might like?  I'm not sure exactly how it will alert you to temperatures.  From their website I see that it monitors temps, but I didn't see how it will alert.  Maybe I overlooked it.

No, I think they were all cameras...not alerts, but I figured we could just aim the camera at the thermostat and (if the temp was way up) we'd know we had a problem.  However... then I realized that we'd need internet service to do all of this and since we often do NOT have internet service...we're back to square one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've worked in the IT industry for 20 years.  The below linked product I've used for remote server rooms, quiptment closets, and even in my own house.  They work great, easy to manage and setup, and have the ability to text, email or call if something goes out of wack.  You can even have it setup a notification every so often and choose what type of information you get on that notification.

http://www.temperaturealert.com/Temperature-Alarm.aspx

 

You can find them on Amazon by searching [email protected]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bdm said:

I've worked in the IT industry for 20 years.  The below linked product I've used for remote server rooms, quiptment closets, and even in my own house.  They work great, easy to manage and setup, and have the ability to text, email or call if something goes out of wack.  You can even have it setup a notification every so often and choose what type of information you get on that notification.

http://www.temperaturealert.com/Temperature-Alarm.aspx

 

You can find them on Amazon by searching [email protected]

That looks like what I want but out of my pay grade right now.  It looks like I would have to run it through a UPS with that monitor as the only thing plugged into it as well to ensure it doesn't turn off before the temp goes up 15 degrees.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bhall said:

That looks like what I want but out of my pay grade right now.  It looks like I would have to run it through a UPS with that monitor as the only thing plugged into it as well to ensure it doesn't turn off before the temp goes up 15 degrees.

Thanks

Understand the price thing.  As for ups they are powered by 12v DC so instead of using the wall wort plug you could power it from the coach battery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazon sent this to me today in an email as a suggestion. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0097C43BO/ref=pe_1869180_197973660_em_1p_9_ti

Says a router is needed which is not an issue as a wifi extender with a RJ-45 jack should do the same thing.  The price is really attractive for this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there!  1st post here.

I use a isocket3g with a prepaid sim card.  It has a battery backup so it will send me a txt via ATT network when the power goes out and comes back on.  It will also tell me the temperature inside the RV.  There are no monthly reoccurring fees, just have to refill the prepaid sim with $ when it gets low.  I can't recommend it enough for those of us with pets.  You can also use a T-Mobile sim with this device.  It does not work with Verizon.

https://www.isocket3g.com/en/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FortMonkey said:

Hi there!  1st post here.

I use a isocket3g with a prepaid sim card.  It has a battery backup so it will send me a txt via ATT network when the power goes out and comes back on.  It will also tell me the temperature inside the RV.  There are no monthly reoccurring fees, just have to refill the prepaid sim with $ when it gets low.  I can't recommend it enough for those of us with pets.  You can also use a T-Mobile sim with this device.  It does not work with Verizon.

https://www.isocket3g.com/en/

Great 1st post ? Thank you and welcome!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We use Marcel.  It has a monthly subscription, mainly because it uses a cell network to text/email us.  We use it for Power Loss/Temperature(High and Low) setting.  You can set it up to email/text multiple people.  My wife has set it up for me to get text messages and for her to get email and text messages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, jjbescher said:

We use Marcel.  It has a monthly subscription, mainly because it uses a cell network to text/email us.  We use it for Power Loss/Temperature(High and Low) setting.  You can set it up to email/text multiple people.  My wife has set it up for me to get text messages and for her to get email and text messages.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×