• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's too bad, I really liked that blue Mickey head floating up in the air... :rofl2:

Like any disagreement, it's best to get ahead of the issue if possible. How about meeting with the FW manager and propose some common sense compromise?

For instance: If the issue is Liability, then agree that walk through displays aren't allowed.

If the issue is tampering with the boxes, then agree that it will be strictly enforced.

If the issue is the Electric bill, then propose requiring large displays use LED lights only, say over a certain size. Maybe phase in the rule so the big light people can transition over to LED's which use a fraction of the juice that incandescents use.

If we wait until the suits and ties finish deciding for us, who knows what the new rules will be.

:) :) :) :) :)

It's too bad, I really liked that blue Mickey head floating up in the air... :rofl2:

Like any disagreement, it's best to get ahead of the issue if possible. How about meeting with the FW manager and propose some common sense compromise?

For instance: If the issue is Liability, then agree that walk through displays aren't allowed.

If the issue is tampering with the boxes, then agree that it will be strictly enforced.

If the issue is the Electric bill, then propose requiring large displays use LED lights only, say over a certain size. Maybe phase in the rule so the big light people can transition over to LED's which use a fraction of the juice that incandescents use.

If we wait until the suits and ties finish deciding for us, who knows what the new rules will be.

:) :) :) :) :)

Ray hasn't been back to the Fort since the winter of 2007/2008. It doesn't look like they are ever coming back, for a couple of reasons. (1) They will only stay on either 1100 or 1200. (2) They won't pay the premium rates. (3) Ray's health has gotten very bad. He was diagnosed with diabetes back in 2002 and immediately placed on insulin. He didn't change his eating habits - but just increased his insulin as needed and continued eating what he wanted. It's finally caught up with him. They don't even come to Florida for the winter anymore because if Diana can't stay at Disney, she doesn't want to come to Florida!

We loved Ray & Diana & miss them terribly. Every once in awhile I call them or will get a call from them. Ray was always looking for a way to "beat the system", but he was so much fun, you tended to overlook that in him.

It's too bad, I really liked that blue Mickey head floating up in the air... :)

:) :) :) :) :argh:

Ray hasn't been back to the Fort since the winter of 2007/2008. It doesn't look like they are ever coming back, for a couple of reasons. (1) They will only stay on either 1100 or 1200. (2) They won't pay the premium rates. (3) Ray's health has gotten very bad. He was diagnosed with diabetes back in 2002 and immediately placed on insulin. He didn't change his eating habits - but just increased his insulin as needed and continued eating what he wanted. It's finally caught up with him. They don't even come to Florida for the winter anymore because if Diana can't stay at Disney, she doesn't want to come to Florida!

We loved Ray & Diana & miss them terribly. Every once in awhile I call them or will get a call from them. Ray was always looking for a way to "beat the system", but he was so much fun, you tended to overlook that in him.

That's too bad, I assumed that they were still there but had been told to take down the Floating Mickey....

Anyone else want to step up and fill the skies with giant floating Mickeys??    :rofl2:

??? :) :) :) :)

Is this too much??

Yes!!! New rules say if it exceeds the height of the trailer it is not allowed. You will either have to remove it or deflate it about a foot. :P

Also, the green mickey head is no longer allowed. It must be purple.

NO! Need lift kit for the TT!  :rofl2:

Is this too much??

Yes!!! New rules say if it exceeds the height of the trailer it is not allowed. You will either have to remove it or deflate it about a foot. :(

Also, the green mickey head is no longer allowed. It must be purple.

NO! Need lift kit for the TT!  :rofl2:

Mike could probably help you out with that :P

Ok, I've got to chime in, yes I was told we would be able to decorate but we need to tone it down now because we started a tradtion. When Donna Howard, was there she was the first one to decorate, and we loved it. We started decorating on a bgger scale in 2007, I had 23 inflatables, the year before, and I left some at home, but in 2007 I went for themeing my spot. I bring everything down in my tralier. I was staying only a week at first, then it lead to two weeks, and now three weeks. It was taking a long time to get it up. we transfer all of the lights to LEDS, but the blow ups still take alot of power, with that said I started leaving some of the blow ups, out. The circuits were been blown to begin with but now since we changed the lights over.  I use the common area in site 802, and have always requested that site, because it will hold my decorations, and I also use the front of the site close to the road.

Here is what was told to me 

The decorations have become a tradtion, and we wouldn't take them away. However, ya'll ( big decorators) Have created a monster and it needs to be toned down, Because of safety reasons.  We walked around all of mine stuff, and we did talk as to what would be ok.  They don't want things in the common areas, because it creates a traffic problem, and everyone walks in the common areas. I have noticed, for the last couple of years the bus have either missed the stop or has let people off not at the bus stop but a little past it so people could see the lights and it can be a distraction. When the buses/ carts go by, the wind could blow then in the road, or a cart can run over them and create an electricial problem.  Not at my site, but at others the crowd has no where to park and is creating a traffic jam

There are things that are going on that shouldn't be with the electricial boxes.  I was also told it can only be on your site, like maybe a 4by 4 area. they are suppose to let us know by email, what to expect for this year. I personally don't know if I will decorate at all this year other than a Christmas tree. and my mickey movie screen.

Here is a link to the pictures in 2007, some of the decorations have changed but not many and less blow ups.

http://www.myspace.com/Kwaldrep1/photos/albums/disney-christmas2007/1430459?authkey=2cYsd4ZjY3CFop1xn+5X4q82qlg%3D

I hope the decoration cutbacks don't make all the decorators give up, but like I tell the kiddos, rules are usually there for a reason. We were at a campground last month, and after the kids strapped on their roller blades, we found out roller blades weren't allowed. Then my youngest sat and read through the rules -- it was one of those lists that seemed to go on forever and include some really weird stuff, making you wonder what previous campers had done to warrant making it an actual rule!

Just one correction to Kelly's story.  Donna Howard was not the first person to mega decorate.  Back in the 90's there were two families from Tampa that started the "Uber-Decorating" tradition.

They would come in the Friday before Thanksgiving and it would take them 3 days to set up the decorations.  They had the first site on the left in 1300 and the last site on the left in 1300 and all the huge space in between.  It was spectacular and very tastefully done. We found them quite by accident in 93 when we went to the Fort for a hay ride.

The hay ride driver started going in a direction that was not normal (out the 300 loop and left towards 1600-1900).  We thought that was strange but considered it a route change.  Then the driver kept on going to the four-way stop!  I thought "we're really getting our $$$ worth". Little did I know what a treat we were in for!! Long story short  - turned into the entrance of 1200/1300, and there it was!!  I wish I had pictures of this because there is really no describing it other than the decorations were breathtaking!

These families continued this annually until around 2000 when a lot of winter campers started in with mega decorating.

Now you need to know this....they set up starting the Friday before Thanksgiving and they broke camp sometime in the middle of the week after Thanksgiving. It took them 3 trips back and forth to Tampa to get all their stuff - about 70+ miles each way.  Oh,,,and there were no blow-up decorations back then. What a true labor of love!!

DANG IT!!  I wasn't that big into taking pictures back then and I wish I had some pictures of this site. Unfortunately, Professor Dumbledore took my pensieve away from me so I can't pull out my memories and post them, either. :rofl2:

wanna borrow mine?

Pensieve.jpg

Thanks for the updates and info Kelly and Debbie!  What Kelly describes makes sense.  I know I've seen the *exit* to the 700 loop jammed with traffic going in/out and have had some narrow misses there as well with the cart because people were staring at the decorations and not watching the road.  (people, pull over and stop for heaven's sake!)

The first time we were at the Fort during the holiday season was the year before Donna Howard died.  They were from the same town as friends of ours (one is a fireman there) and we were introduced to them.  We loved how much of themselves went into their display... and yeah, it was a little over the top, but that was ok.  :)

I hope that the new rules won't put a major damper on the spirits and decorating prowess of the regular folks.  We enjoy that time of year at the Fort in large part because of the decorations - great and small.  One of our favorite activities is to go looping at night to see what the regulars have come up with this time around, or what the new people that have just checked in are up to.

I hope the big time "pros" will just consider the scale back a challenge, and let their creativity come up with new ways to wow us even within the restrictions.

And for those of you out there that do decorate every year (in any way) - Thanks! :banana:

Here is a link to the pictures in 2007, some of the decorations have changed but not many and less blow ups.

http://www.myspace.com/Kwaldrep1/photos/albums/disney-christmas2007/1430459?authkey=2cYsd4ZjY3CFop1xn+5X4q82qlg%3D

Rats..... I can't get this link to work, got any photos on a photo account perhaps??

By looking at how many people decorate at the fort. How many campers do you think it would "run off" if they enforced the restrictions?  :-\

Sometimes it seams that that is what someone in management  at the fort is trying to do!
  • 3 weeks later...