• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm chalking this one up to total rumor before I've even heard it.

The Fort is the only resort with a "pre-holiday" rate season which just started a couple of years ago.  Gotta believe it's in direct correlation to the popularity of the camper holiday decorations, which are a draw not just for campers, but is actually promoted by Disney to all their guests.

But I'm all ears... any actual bus-driver confirmed information out there?

I know last year around Halloween there was someone on that other place that whined and cried like a little Baby about how the decorations were too much and disturbed his camping experience. Maybe he whined and cried all they way to management and did not stop til he got his way so they had no choice but to give in some to get him to stop. :wiz:

Well they ain't gettin' my purple flamingos, they're solar powered...lol

I saw some on ebay, I seriously want some sooooooo bad!

LTD has those purple flamingos that are really goofy looking and solar powered body for $13.95.  I'll have 2 of those and 2 regular purple flamingos out along with the sign in June.  Should be easy to spot me...lol

Hubby bought me this flamingo wind thing.. bless his heart he was a litte ticked off that he couldnt find any purple flamingo stuff!!

I was not going to waste any time explaining why most are not purple but pink!! LOL Poor guy!!  :rofl2:

my neighbors couldn't figure out how I bought my old lime green flamingos that have now turned purple, until they caught me outside spraypainting another set.  lol 

Well they ain't gettin' my purple flamingos, they're solar powered...lol

I saw some on ebay, I seriously want some sooooooo bad!

LTD has those purple flamingos that are really goofy looking and solar powered body for $13.95.  I'll have 2 of those and 2 regular purple flamingos out along with the sign in June.  Should be easy to spot me...lol

I am painting the light up flamingo you can get at Lowes purple.  We will see how it goes!

Hubby bought me this flamingo wind thing.. bless his heart he was a litte ticked off that he couldnt find any purple flamingo stuff!!

I was not going to waste any time explaining why most are not purple but pink!! LOL Poor guy!!  :heart:

my neighbors couldn't figure out how I bought my old lime green flamingos that have now turned purple, until they caught me outside spraypainting another set.  lol

My newer neighbors moved in when I was painting the flamingoes green.  They started shaking their heads when I then painted them purple.  They are convinced I am nuts.  I told them "If I tell you the story of why I am doing this, you won't believe me! "

He said, " You are probably right.  I see the crazy shit you do! :rofl2:"

I was not going to waste any time explaining why most are not purple but pink!! LOL Poor guy!!  :heart:

My newer neighbors moved in when I was painting the flamingoes green.  They started shaking their heads when I then painted them purple.  They are convinced I am nuts.  I told them "If I tell you the story of why I am doing this, you won't believe me! "

He said, " You are probably right.  I see the crazy shit you do! :rofl2:"

Observant neighbor.  :rofl2:

Judy and Hilda both stated in January that Doug was going to talk to them about how extensive they could decorate.. Haven't heard what the outcome was but it seems they are making them "tone it down"..

talked to Hilda last month and yes they want the decorations toned WAY down

They might be able to pull that off with the regulars who are there for weeks/months at a time, but I don't see them chasing down every camper that puts out a fleet of blowups unless they're hiring a whole new division of CMs.

And if they're telling Judy/Hilda to tone it down, what the hell are they gonna do with the guy in 1600??

They mentioned that someone (don't know where the site was) who had a "walk thru" set-up was already told that would be a no-no.  Is that on 1600??

Yes that's the big one.  It's right alongside the road.

Personally I think it'll be a shame if they make everyone scale back the decorating.  It's one of the big reasons we love to go to the Fort in Nov/Dec!

If they enforced for everyone?  A ton.  At the height of the season, it seems like almost 1/3 of all sites are decorated to some extent.  That's about 300 sites.

But that would also be a monumental effort and I doubt Disney is looking to take on that big a project.  They'd have to send CMs out patrolling every day from mid-Oct through Christmas!  And talk about confrontational...

"Welcome to Fort Wilderness!  You need to take down half the decorations you just spent 3 days putting up"

8)

From the sounds of it they're looking to scale back just the regular, big-time decorators.  Love to know what the rationale is. 

I could maybe see that they might consider the walk-thru stuff some kind of safety hazard, and I'd get it if neighbors are complaining if they're parked next to more lights than the Las Vegas strip all night long, or if campers are expanding they're displays far beyond their sites....

Dunno.  I seriously doubt it's the whole "electricity" argument some people make.  The draw to bring more people into the Fort has got to be *more* than worth the hike in the utility bills for a couple of months.

I just hope it doesn't put a major damper on the wonderful holiday spirit of the Fort overall.

I'm no electrician, so I wouldn't even know how to begin to do this.  However, some of the sites with the huge displays (and I'm not accusing Hilda or Judy of this - so don't 'dis' me) opened the electric boxes and did some creative engineering to give them more electricity - or at least that's what I was told by "Pat the Loop Attendant".  If that's what is going on, it does need to be stopped!!

I love decorations as much as the next person, but Hilda's site looks like she backed a dump truck up and puked out stuff.  The people on 1600 have a winter wonderland theme going, and Judy's site, while crazy like she is (said with nothing but love for her), does have a theme going on and is nicely displayed.  When Donna (Disney Donna) Howard was still alive (I knew her well & loved her dearly),  her site looked like decorations were puked out of a dump truck.

Doug Lord personally spoke to Kelly this past Christmas (TiggerInBama) and told her that there were going to be a lot of decorating restrictions put in place this coming Halloween and Christmas. 

We are friends with Ray Moore who was the guy that shot a line up into the trees and hoisted his big, blue Mickey Head way up for all to see.  When he stayed on the 1100 loop he had so much stuff displayed (and he was one that did some 'engineering') that the electric box overheated and melted the breakers!!

When people start doing creative electrical engineering, it's time to think safety first and put an end to the uber-decorating.