Rope Drop -or- Relax and Enjoy??

Hubby hates mornings and I like nothing better than to sit outside with a cup of coffee and listen to the quiet for about an hour. So I get him up by 8ish we shower, walk the dogs and are ready to leave by 9:30. So we are a mix. Early, but usually not rope drop early.

Most of the time it depends on the time of the year, who is with us, how long we are staying at WDW, operating hours, etc..

But, we usually do the rope drop thing, mostly because we are early risers anyway. I like the short line thing and generally won't wait in a line that is over 20 minutes long. We usually come back for that afternoon nap before heading back out again.

Every now & then we will do the late night thing, when MK stays open past midnight, then we will sleep in.

I would like to hate mornings, but my work requires that I get up at 4am. >:( So when I don't work laying in there to 6am is really something for me.

ME TOO! I am at work at 4:15, so 6:00 is wonderful. Still not into rope drop, would rather sit outside with coffee.

This is where Hubby and I have a challenge. I work days, up by 0500 and at work by 0630. Hubby is on second shift. SOOOO, getting our schedules in sync during a vacation is interesting.

The funny thing, for me it is mental. As soon as I see a clock and see it is after 1130 or so, I am like whoooooo I am getting tired. The funiest is when all is good until last call and then like, WHAT?

:rofl2:

Our first two trips to WDW we were at rope drop daily - generally first at a turnstile! We experienced the parks virtually empty, saw characters in odd places, and got to ride attractions multiple times with no wait, and had special experiences from CMs.

Then we got APs and started touring the parks in a whole different way - we'd have coffee at the moho, walk the dog to the dog park, wander over to the boat dock to see if the boat was there waiting for us, and if not, we'd head to the bus stop and get on the first park bus that arrived.... a VERY different way of seeing Disney. We poke around Epcot, always finding something new, stop and rest from time to time on a bench and just watch people. A really different way of doing Disney! I'm loving this way, but am happy that we tried the frantic way.

Our first two trips we would trudge back to the hotel from a bus, and would literally collapse on the bed... exhausted. Now, not so much!

We never hit a rope drop. Neither one of us likes mornings so we don't usually spring out of bed. We are those people that no matter how hard we try to be early. We still end up late. Last year we arrived a couple times right after rope drop and did accomplish alot. This year will be interesting because we have family going & they only go commando. That will be coming up in a future thread.

• 4 months later...

We are not morning people, we visit often and have annual passes so we don't rush into the parks. We were there before the park officially opened one time because we had early reservations for eating breakfast with Cinderella in her castle. ;) Other that that one time, we sleep in and relax.

We do a combination. Most days we don't get moving till the crack of noon. (Mostly Rick). However, if I wake up early, sometimes I take the opportunity while Rick is still snoozing to run over to Studios, MK, or AK for early Magic Hours and get in TSM, RnRC, and Tower of Terror at Studios, and Space Mountain, BTMRR, and Splash Mountain at MK, and Everest at AK really early. Then I'm back on the bus or boat back to the Fort by about 9:30.

Rick is starting to stir by then, and then it's off to Trails End for a late breakfast. Then looping and naptime, and then out to the parks for dinner and late EMH.

In my cruise trip report, the 3 days at POFQ after the cruise were HIGHLY unusual for us.

We also generally plan an 8:00 am breakfast at Hollywood & Vine on our last morning. We are packed and hitched the night before, drive the camper to Studios, have breakfast before the park opens, then are first at rope drope for Toy Story Mania, then ride, and are out of the park and on the road home by 9:30.