A fire started yesterday from a lightening strike beyond the Creekside Meadow area. Reedy FD responded and the fire was put out...or so they thought. Late this morning the winds started kicking up and by early afternoon there was a definite smokey smell and haze in the air. We were out taking pictures in the 2000 loop and ash was coming down on us. The Disney popo road blocked off at the 2000 loop. Not even buses are being allowed to go down the road. About an hour later they blocked the road to the 2000 area at the main intersection of Ft Wilderness Trail and Big Pine Drive. We saw most of the Reedy FD rolling down the road towards the Creekside Meadows area. There are now helicopters in the air and Disney is telling guests there is no need for evacuation that the fire is under control. More later....

Uploading pictures of the smokey areas now...will post shortly.

Tri-B

This post has been promoted to an article

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fire started yesterday from a lightening strike beyond the Creekside Meadow area. Reedy FD responded and the fire was put out...or so they thought. Late this morning the winds started kicking up and by early afternoon there was a definite smokey smell and haze in the air. We were out taking pictures in the 2000 loop and ash was coming down on us. The Disney popo road blocked off at the 2000 loop. Not even buses are being allowed to go down the road. About an hour later they blocked the road to the 2000 area at the main intersection of Ft Wilderness Trail and Big Pine Drive. We saw most of the Reedy FD rolling down the road towards the Creekside Meadows area. There are now helicopters in the air and Disney is telling guests there is no need for evacuation that the fire is under control. More later....

Uploading pictures of the smokey areas now...will post shortly.

Tri-B

HOLY SHATNER, BATMAN!!

Pulitzer or Peabody? Or running Peacock? :mellow:

Right now I would take running Peacock :rofl2:

While posting this we had a water main break under the sand pit by the water hook ups. It flooded our site and ran down and flooded the neighbors...what a mess! We've had to move across the street into 714. They expect the water to be off for at least a day while they fix the break. :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

So we've had to pack up everything, lights, chairs, everything inside and move across the street....and it's dark out now. Maybe I should have posted this on the "Whiney" thread??? I hope I get a little Pixie Dust from Disney for this!! :fairydust:

Tri-B

A fire started yesterday from a lightening strike beyond the Creekside Meadow area. Reedy FD responded and the fire was put out...or so they thought. Late this morning the winds started kicking up and by early afternoon there was a definite smokey smell and haze in the air. We Tri-B

That is what really sucks about brush fires when it is really dry. You think you have it out, but it continues to burn in the root systems of the trees and brush and will pop up behind you or days later.

While posting this we had a water main break under the sand pit by the water hook ups. It flooded our site and ran down and flooded the neighbors...what a mess! We've had to move across the street into 714. They expect the water to be off for at least a day while they fix the break. :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

So we've had to pack up everything, lights, chairs, everything inside and move across the street....and it's dark out now. Maybe I should have posted this on the "Whiney" thread??? I hope I get a little Pixie Dust from Disney for this!! :fairydust:

Tri-B

Ooooh, that stinks!!!!

Tri-B

OMG sorry to hear about that. I can't imagine how much of a PIA that must have been.

Omigosh. Lightning is no fun' I would have hatred to move, heck they would have sent someone to help us after everyone had to wait while I backed up a hundred times! I can't believe I have been working on lesson plans and missed the breaking news. I hope y'all get clean air soon!

They must be stressing the old pipes with the fire fighting. :blink:

This is just like they had in the 300 loop at while back...but, what can you expect from pipes that are 40 years old. This leak is way down too. My DH reached his hand into the hole up to his elbow and still couldn't feel where the pipe was broken!

We asked to be moved over the the 400 loop since they are shutting off the water here in the 700s but was told that the 400 loop is being shut down "indefinitely" by the site assigner at the front desk....hummmm...wonder what that means??

I don't want to hijack your thread. Is the fort always that empty this time of year?

One of the CMs I talked to about the fire said the Fort is at 50% capacity which is pretty normal for this time of year. That's why we come now and the parks are pretty slow too. Toy Story only had a 30 min wait yesterday. I'm sure the next few weekends will be busy because of Star Wars weekends. (You just have to deal with yellow flies in May)

Omigosh. Lightning is no fun' I would have hatred to move, heck they would have sent someone to help us after everyone had to wait while I backed up a hundred times! I can't believe I have been working on lesson plans and missed the breaking news. I hope y'all get clean air soon!

They did send somebody to "help" us...he'd been on the job ONE month :rofl2:

Needless to say he wasn't much help. First he told us we'd have to call the front desk for re-assignment. Didn't go over very well with me >:( I made HIM the call the site assigner and give us the site we wanted. We asked to speak with the Fort manager but that never happened... didn't really expect it to either! Didn't even get an "I'm sorry for the trouble" call from anybody! Stinkin' customer service! And for this we pay the privilege of almost $100/night :argh: (Yeah, this is me whining again!)