It's An Old Dog; New Tricks; Pop And Fort TCD Trip Report

I did not know this about the design of that building, that is really cool info! Who knew that this TR would turn educational on an architectural level!

As the parent of a Soldier I too appreciate this gesture. I too was unaware that Disney did this. We will surely attend this during our next visit. Thanks TCD for taking the time to photograph the Service and make us all aware of it.

However, they have NEVER used this feature. The building and concrete settled and they can't get the modules OUT!!!

So therefore, they remodel the rooms the old fashioned way. I'm also guessing it's a lot cheaper.

. . . 244

Didn't y'all wonder about the counting at the end of my last post?

I was counting how long it would take someone to correct the false statement I made.

I knew someone would!

It was a boat driver who told me about the Contemporary rooms being slid out and in like drawers. But, Carol is right- they have never slid rooms out. It is true that the rooms were constructed off site, and then lifted by a crane and slid in to place. But, there is no way that they can effectively remove the rooms and replace them with new ones. Think about it a minute. How would they get cranes in position to do this? And how would it save them money over just replacing the floor and wall coverings and furnishings?

I thought someone would jump in faster to correct my little mis-statement. But, that was still pretty quick.

Now that we are discussing fact and fiction about WDW lore, does anybody know the story behind Shipwreck Island, which I mentioned in my previous post?

TCD

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

However, they have NEVER used this feature. The building and concrete settled and they can't get the modules OUT!!! So therefore, they remodel the rooms the old fashioned way. I'm also guessing it's

This has nothing to do with this thread but since it got so far off topic I figure I'd throw something I think is funny in the mix.

Todd- That is a great scan! Thanks! The text says that both the Polynesian and Contemporary resorts were constructed by use of the modular room method. The text says that the rooms were prefabricated

Posted Images

. . . 244

Didn't y'all wonder about the counting at the end of my last post?

I was counting how long it would take someone to correct the false statement I made.

I knew someone would!

It was a boat driver who told me about the Contemporary rooms being slid out and in like drawers. But, Carol is right- they have never slid rooms out. It is true that the rooms were constructed off site, and then lifted by a crane and slid in to place. But, there is no way that they can effectively remove the rooms and replace them with new ones. Think about it a minute. How would they get cranes in position to do this? And how would it save them money over just replacing the floor and wall coverings and furnishings?

I thought someone would jump in faster to correct my little mis-statement. But, that was still pretty quick.

Now that we are discussing fact and fiction about WDW lore, does anybody know the story behind Shipwreck Island, which I mentioned in my previous post?

TCD

It had the old wave machines!

Wow! I'm tardy to the party :parrot: . Gone for a couple of day and there's a new TCD report and it's already on page 3.

I don't know how to quote but you asked about the other water bridge I know there's one at the beach club lake it's on the road that circles around the resorts(I'm not sure what the road or lake is called :-[ )

There is a canal that connects Bay Lake with the Seven Seas Lagoon. Here we pass a boat heading the other way:

This canal is actually a water bridge. One time, a chatty boat driver announced that this water bridge is one of only seven in the entire world. He also said that there are a few more water bridges on WDW property, and said that the majority of the water bridges that exist in the world are located here on WDW property. I am not sure where the others are, or whether water bridges are as rare as the boat driver said, but I know I haven't seen any others. Here we can see traffic driving under the water bridge:

100_9791.jpg

TCD I think those water bridges are really neat, I always point them out to people.

I know where you can find another one on Disney property too. Have you ever driven the Epcot resort loop? Its the road that you can drive in front of the Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach Clubs, and the Swan & Dophin resorts. It's not as easy to see as the Bay Lake one but still cool. I'll dig up a picture for you.

WBI

It was done by US Steel.

Here is the original video which shows installation!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJNzmydrivI

Thank you for posting that. I recall seeing a video like this, but I don't think it was this exact one. Very interesting!

I find it very interesting that even though the Contemporary Resort was built in 1971, it is still a great looking building, and is still a very desirable resort for people visiting WDW.

It had the old wave machines!

Are you saying Shipwreck island was where they had the wave machines?

I don't think so.

The wave machines are in the Seven Seas Lagoon.

Shipwreck Island is in Bay Lake.

it is the kidney shaped island to the far left of Discovery Island that you see in this photo between the Contemporary Resort and Wilderness Lodge:

shipwreckisland.jpg

Here's another view of it a bit closer and from another angle:

shipwreck2.jpg

That is the Contemporary Resort on the left, and Wilderness Lodge on the right. BTW the otters that we saw in an earlier post were in the water that you see at the bottom right in this photo.

The only time I heard it referenced as Shipwreck Island was by a boat driver as we rounded it en route to Wilderness Lodge, back when Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness shared the MK boat.

Has anyone else ever heard of this island being called Shipwreck Island.

If so, do you know why it is called that?

TCD

Wow! I'm tardy to the party :parrot: . Gone for a couple of day and there's a new TCD report and it's already on page 3.

I don't know how to quote but you asked about the other water bridge I know there's one at the beach club lake it's on the road that circles around the resorts(I'm not sure what the road or lake is called :-[ )

I think you are referring to the same one as WBI. I'll post a photo of that one in just a bit.

Oh, and about being tardy to the party . . .

Don't be gone for a couple of days any more.

I have a bunch of trip reports to get done, and they are going to be posted quick.

You need to catch up at least daily, or you will be left in the dust!

Wiki article about navigable aquducts : http://en.wikipedia....igable_aqueduct

Thanks for that link. It is interesting that the article doesn't mention any of the WDW aqueducts/water bridges.

TCD

Here you go.

You can see this aqua bridge connects the Epcot Resorts to Epcot by the Epcot rear entrance. It goes over Epcot Resorts Blvd.

WaterBridge.jpg

Thanks, WBI.

I suspected that there was one around there. In fact, I remember driving under it. I have also traveled on it by boat, and I have even walked across it when entering Epcot through the International Gateway. I screen-capped this photo for a closer look:

waterbridge.jpg

So, now we know where two are.

Are there any others at WDW?

Or was my boat driver full of it?

TCD

Here's another shot from the stern looking toward the shoreline by Fort Wilderness (love the flag flapping in the breeze):

100_9760.jpg

While we're here enjoying the flag waving in the breeze, take a close look at it.

It's a 48-star flag, not a 50-star flag. You can tell in the picture because the stars are directly above one another, not offset like a modern flag.

Why does Disney do this?

Apparently, if they fly the 50-star flag on the boats, they are subject to U.S. rules, regulations, taxes, etc., just like any ocean-going US-flagged vessel. If they fly a "historic banner," they don't have to fool with that extra bureaucracy.

At least, that's what the boat captain told me when I asked.

While we're here enjoying the flag waving in the breeze, take a close look at it.

It's a 48-star flag, not a 50-star flag. You can tell in the picture because the stars are directly above one another, not offset like a modern flag.

Why does Disney do this?

Apparently, if they fly the 50-star flag on the boats, they are subject to U.S. rules, regulations, taxes, etc., just like any ocean-going US-flagged vessel. If they fly a "historic banner," they don't have to fool with that extra bureaucracy.

Wow, I never noticed that or knew that about the rules.

So if its and actual current flag they treat it as a registered US vessel?

But don't they already have to meet a ton of regulations like boat registration, safety, and life preservers?

Very interesting.

But don't they already have to meet a ton of regulations like boat registration, safety, and life preservers?

Very interesting.

Actually, posting that made me remember another conversation I had with a captain on the same subject. He said that they were subject to US laws, regulations, etc. as a matter of course, no matter what flag they flew. But there are customs and rules (that do not carry the force of law) about displaying the US flag- namely, that it should only be done while the sun is up. So if they flew a 50-star flag, they run the risk of offending people who know that the flag should be stowed at night. The 48-star flag has no such tradition surrounding it (since it technically isn't the US flag anymore). It's simply easier to leave the flag up there rather than stop the boat, stow the flag properly, and start up again.

Why does Disney do this?

Wow!

I need to pay better attention.

I totally never noticed this.

But, you can see that on this flag, the stars are not lined up in vertical rows, but are offset:

100_9821.jpg

I never noticed that the boats fly 48 star flags!

Very interesting.

Don't feel bad, I never noticed this or heard anything about it either.

Actually, posting that made me remember another conversation I had with a captain on the same subject. He said that they were subject to US laws, regulations, etc. as a matter of course, no matter what flag they flew. But there are customs and rules (that do not carry the force of law) about displaying the US flag- namely, that it should only be done while the sun is up. So if they flew a 50-star flag, they run the risk of offending people who know that the flag should be stowed at night. The 48-star flag has no such tradition surrounding it (since it technically isn't the US flag anymore). It's simply easier to leave the flag up there rather than stop the boat, stow the flag properly, and start up again.

Wow!

More interesting information.

Now even I am learning things from a TCD trip report!

I guess this is why the MK flag comes down at sunset, while the flags on the boats keep flying.

TCD

Great information. I never thought about that before but it makes sense.

WBI

100_9817.jpg

It's my curse to notice stuff like this. Drives AuburnJen crazy, it does.

So have a look at the photo here. They're taking down the American flag, in a very respectful (and not-to-be-missed) ceremony. But look on top of Exposition Hall- it's another American flag, very pointedly -not- being taken down.

Why?

Same reason. I haven't confirmed this myself, but I'm told the flags on the Main Street buildings are 45-star flags, to match the US flag as of the turn of the 20th century, which would carry through with the theme of Main Street USA.

So have a look at the photo here. They're taking down the American flag, in a very respectful (and not-to-be-missed) ceremony. But look on top of Exposition Hall- it's another American flag, very pointedly -not- being taken down.

Why?

Same reason. I haven't confirmed this myself, but I'm told the flags on the Main Street buildings are 45-star flags, to match the US flag as of the turn of the 20th century, which would carry through with the theme of Main Street USA.

Awesome again.

I am now going to paying attention to all of the American Flags all over WDW.

Which reminds me . . .

I remember that there used to be a flagpole and American Flag at the Reception Outpost at Fort Wilderness.

But, I don't think there is one there anymore.

Does anyone know?

TCD

Awesome again.

Which reminds me . . .

I remember that there used to be a flagpole and American Flag at the Reception Outpost at Fort Wilderness.

Does anyone know?

TCD

I just texted Stef, Andrew, She says if you want to know the answer come out to the Fort for a visit :rofl2:

Thanks, WBI.

I suspected that there was one around there. In fact, I remember driving under it. I have also traveled on it by boat, and I have even walked across it when entering Epcot through the International Gateway. I screen-capped this photo for a closer look:

waterbridge.jpg

So, now we know where two are.

Are there any others at WDW?

Or was my boat driver full of it?

TCD

There are three "Water Bridges" at Walt Disney World. One is on World Drive just south of the Contemporary Resort. One is on the east side of Epcot Resorts Drive just north of the Boardwalk Resort. The other is back stage at Epcot next to the one on Epcot resorts Drive.

Awesome again.

Which reminds me . . .

Does anyone know?

TCD

AlDvR.jpg

I dunno, those stars look kinda sparse...

How far down the rabbit hole do we wanna go here? You've got a trip report (or two!) to finish! :)

Why?

Interesting. I always assumed it was b/c the one on the roof was lighted, hence it didn't need to be taken down. An older flag makes perfect sense in keeping with the theme surrounding it... if we all taught our kids to think like imagineers just think of what even a small group of future fiends on the loose could do... once they stopped texting and put down the gameboys, that is...

On the way out of the Magic Kingdom, we ran into something we had never witnessed before. I think it is called the Flag retreat, and it is something that is done every day.

From what I gather, they select a veteran each day to assist with this. It is very well done. Here are some photos showing what happens. The guy in the jorts is the veteran of the day:

100_9817.jpg

100_9818.jpg

100_9820.jpg

100_9821.jpg

100_9822.jpg

100_9824.jpg

100_9825.jpg

I really appreciate the fact that WDW takes the time to do this on a daily basis.

Im not sure what jorts are, but......

DW had the privalage to be a part of this ceremony for a special memorial day performance when she was in the Navy. Disney actualy called her unit and requested them to perform color details at this. In exchange, she got a full CD of photopass pictures and 4 free passes to use when ever she wanted and was allowed access to the park after the ceremony. They were in full dress uniform for this. It was a great experience for her and something she will always remember. Ill have to dig up the photos and post them.

I try to make it to this ceremony at least once during each visit and if you have never seen it, I recommend you do.

Why?

Hate to break this to you, but the United States Flag Code makes no distinction between a "new" flag and a "historic" flag. According to the Flag Code, a flag is a flag or anything "by which the average person seeing the same without deliberation may believe the same to represent the flag." All of these would fall under the same laws and regulations for proper display and patriotic customs.