It's An Old Dog; New Tricks; Pop And Fort TCD Trip Report

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

However, they have NEVER used this feature. The building and concrete settled and they can't get the modules OUT!!! So therefore, they remodel the rooms the old fashioned way. I'm also guessing it's

This has nothing to do with this thread but since it got so far off topic I figure I'd throw something I think is funny in the mix.

Todd- That is a great scan! Thanks! The text says that both the Polynesian and Contemporary resorts were constructed by use of the modular room method. The text says that the rooms were prefabricated

Posted Images

Awesome! Another TCD trip report and I was here to see it!

Did they update the televisions in the Pop yet? We are scheduled for a trip in August with the Disney Dining Plan, so I am really getting into the planning mode again.

Hey Dan,

I'll be there in August from the 14th to the 25th.

Dan

Well, I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't a NASCAR driver, but you got some pretty good athletes there!thumbsupup.gif

DeAngelo Williams looks like he just stepped out of the rice paddies :rofl2:

I feel the same way. But at least they didn't have that pansie Tom Bradey. I'm a Patriot fan, but I can't stand Tom Bradey.

Captain Headband

TomBradeyHeadband.jpg

I think he is afraid to break a nail.

TomBradeyWaterslide.jpg

I feel the same way. But at least they didn't have that pansie Tom Bradey. I'm a Patriot fan, but I can't stand Tom Bradey.

Captain Headband

TomBradeyHeadband.jpg

TomBradeyWaterslide.jpg

WOW, that's just wrong on many levels!! :blink:

My sons and some friends went a few years ago and where in the crowd during one of the live shows on ESPN. So of course we had to watch and find them in the crowd. Talk about needles in a haystack! :rofl2:

I didn't realize that they did live broadcasts during the weekend. I will have to remember that next time.

Yay! Another TCD report!

Makes all the sense in the world! ;D

Thanks, Leslie.

I know you are about to head to WDW- so have a great trip!

Well, I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't a NASCAR driver, but you got some pretty good athletes there!thumbsupup.gif

DeAngelo Williams looks like he just stepped out of the rice paddies :rofl2:

Yes- I don't know what the heck that hat was all about. It actually looked good on him. I think they may sell hats like that in Animal Kingdom. Maybe he had some kind of endorsement deal with Disney merchandising?

Glad to see another report going! I ain't gonna knock Tim Tebow because I think he's a decent young man, it's too bad he chose the wrong school! :rofl2: My mama loves the butterfly garden, thanks for the ictures.

Now that is being a good sport.

Maybe next year, Christian Ponder will be there.

SWEET ROUND 3!!!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

True. Thanks for following along.

TCD

Tim WHO??? Never heard of him.... and I don't see one dang NHL player up there... Geeze! :rofl2: And of all the Steelers they could of had, they had Rashard???!!!!???? Man talk about a bad choice, I love the steelers, but they should fire that $A#$@@#$ after what he said about Bin Laden!!!

Very cool to see another report so soon, love it Andrew!

John- I think ESPN pretty much ignores the NHL. If you look at the list of who was there, it is pretty obvious that ESPN went with those who either kiss up to that network, or are on the payroll.

March 7th, I was there that weekend with some girls from work. We probably crossed paths we were doing at least 3 parks every day. Great trip report as usual TCD.

What? I'll bet we did cross paths!

Awesome! Another TCD trip report and I was here to see it!

Did they update the televisions in the Pop yet? We are scheduled for a trip in August with the Disney Dining Plan, so I am really getting into the planning mode again.

The TV in our room was a nice new flat-screen model. So, at least from what I saw, yes the TV's have been updated.

Wow another TCD TR already?!

It must be Christmas!! th_Santa-smiley.gif

Thanks, Monique.

As I have mentioned, I have a severe trip report backlog.

There are still two more to do after this one!!

TCD

My kids walked up when I was reading the EPCOT section of the TR. Now they want to go back to WDW... tomorrow....ouch!

Sorry about that!

You had better get planning!

Great report so far. We stayed at the Board Walk for spring break and did the Flower and garden festival. It looks like we took some of the same pics.

I'm sure.

In fact, I think that folks have already posted photos of all of the topiaries I photographed. Had I not been on hiatus, mine would have been among the first. Now, they are old news.

Wow that's creepy. But that's ok, I didn't need to sleep tonight.

Now the story about Timmy...that's just AWESOME! I love how they showed his Florida stats. Once a Gator, always a Gator.

You know, now that I look at that photo- exactly what is going on under Ms. White's dress? Is that a dwarf's nose sticking out? What the Fort?

And . . .

Go Gators!

I have never seen those photos before.

That is some funny stuff right there!

Even though he apparently is a bit of a diva, I can't say anything bad about Tom Brady.

Scoreboard.

TCD another TR I can't stop reading. I'm looking foward to more. :popcorn:

Well, then, you are in luck, because some more is on its way!

TCD

Alright folks, time to get this little report moving along.

This is the Fort Fiends site, so we need some photos of the Fort, right?

As mentioned above, we left Hollywood Studios on a Fort Wilderness bus.

From the Outpost, we took one of the internal buses to the Settlement, and headed to Trail's End for some liquid refreshment.

There weren't many folks around on this fine Sunday afternoon:

100_9689.jpg

100_9691.jpg

100_9692.jpg

I took this photo from the porch of Crockett's Tavern. As you can see from the bare trees, spring still had not quite sprung at the Fort:

100_9694.jpg

You can see that some of the azaleas are in bloom in these photos:

100_9696.jpg

100_9697.jpg

Here we are at the Settlement Trading Post, looking over toward Trail's End/Pioneer Hall:

100_9700.jpg

And, here we are at the same spot, looking down toward the marina:

100_9701.jpg

And now, we are turned just to the left from the previous photo:

100_9702.jpg

According to the recently filed plans for the new Fort Wilderness pavilion, there are substantial changes on the way in this area. in a way, these changes may be an improvement. Although some trees will likely be lost, there will also be less golf cart congestion.

Now we are on the dock, looking toward the area of Clementine's Beach, and past that, River Country:

100_9704.jpg

If the rumors are true, a new resort is going to be built right where we see the trees jutting out into Bay Lake.

Now we are turned and looking back toward the beach. These are some of the boats available for rent here:

100_9705.jpg

Over this way is where the new pavilion is going to go. I think it will be visible right where the tree line is now. There will be a really nice view of Bay Lake from there:

100_9708.jpg

100_9709.jpg

Now, here is a welcome sight- our boat is arriving:

100_9711.jpg

It's a beautiful day, so I take a seat all the way in the back:

100_9712.jpg

100_9714.jpg

And, we are off!:

100_9715.jpg

There's the resort boat:

100_9716.jpg

Here we are looking along the shore of Bay Lake. This is the area where the new resort is rumored to be going:

100_9719.jpg

Here's a look back at the Fort Wilderness dock. Notice the poor folks who just missed the boat:

100_9724.jpg

And, here are two shots of the beautiful beach at Fort Wilderness:

100_9727.jpg

100_9728.jpg

See that lonely tree standing alone out there in the lake?:

100_9730.jpg

This lonely tree used to be famous.

It is the old Shoe Tree.

Have you ever heard of it?

Well, if not, here's the story . . .

Back when I first began to visit the Fort some 15+ years ago, this tree was adorned with discarded tennis shoes. Like this:

shoetree4.jpg

shoetree5.jpg

According to the story I heard most often, these shoes were thrown there by WDW boat operators upon their retirement.

It was a simple, unofficial, attraction that we campers just called the Shoe Tree.

Well, come 2007, some new whippersnapper management type decided the shoe tree was tacky.

And one day the shoes disappeared.

And, they have been missing ever since.

The gazebo and boardwalk that you see in the background of these photos used to be part of the nature trail at River Country.

The gazebo and boardwalk were removed some time in early 2010.

And the Shoe Tree remained bare.

And lonely.

But, I have something interesting to tell you about the Shoe Tree . . .

Let's take a closer look at it . . .

100_9734.jpg

100_9736.jpg

Hang on a second.

Do you see something dangling from the branches up near the top?

Let's take a closer look:

shoes.jpg

There are shoes in the Shoe Tree!!!

If you look real close, you can see them in this photo, too:

100_9738.jpg

I actually saw this lone pair of shoes in the Shoe Tree during my February visit to the Fort, but none of my photos showed them.

But, you can see them now.

Welcome back Shoe Tree!

We missed you.

One of these days, I am going to rent one of those boats we saw earlier, and give the Shoe Tree a little help.

I'll be sure to take some photos of it then.

For now, we have reached our photo limit.

Up next, we continue on our journey to Magic Kingdom.

And, I have a photo of something that to my knowledge has never been posted on a Fort Wilderness message board.

TCD

Our last trip to the Fort was the year they took all the shoes off. While talking to the boat CM he told the same story you just did. He also said that he only had a few years until he retired, and he didn't care what the higher ups said, he was going to put his shoes there. Hmmm I wonder maybe they are his shoes :banana: :banana: Long live the Shoe Tree :heart:

Great trip report again! I like the quick trips ya'll are going. I think those are the only type we're going to be able to do for awhile.

I do have a question though. How were you able to try the dining plan if you already have tickets? I thought you could only get it with a full package?

Nick

I think my head is going to explode with all the trip reports going on.

Another great report Andrew!

Although, I think you may want to add a few more pictures of Tebow :)

We didn't take up camping until a couple of years ago so I never heard of the shoe tree, pretty cool.

Our last trip to the Fort was the year they took all the shoes off. While talking to the boat CM he told the same story you just did. He also said that he only had a few years until he retired, and he didn't care what the higher ups said, he was going to put his shoes there. Hmmm I wonder maybe they are his shoes :banana: :banana: Long live the Shoe Tree :heart:

That very well could be. Maybe a few more will stick it to the man, er I mean mouse, and the Shoe Tree will be restored to its former glory.

Tacky is part of camping for many people. I'm willing to bet that person in management never had a set tacky lights.

Exactly. What's wrong with a little tacky? Maybe they cleared out the Shoe Tree in anticipation of the new project to be constructed there. Maybe they are going after a classier demographic than us lowly campers.

Great trip report again! I like the quick trips ya'll are going. I think those are the only type we're going to be able to do for awhile.

I do have a question though. How were you able to try the dining plan if you already have tickets? I thought you could only get it with a full package?

Nick

I'm not sure how long it has been going on, but right on the passholder's website, they have an offer to add the dining plan to any resort reservation at a supposedly discounted price. I think that full package thing is for when they offer free dining- but on this trip we paid for the dining plan. They make it really hard to figure out exactly how much you are paying for it. I would say it cost us about $30 a head for the one night. For that we got two quick serve meals (including entree, dessert and beverage). two snacks per person, and a refillable mug for each person. Since the mugs cost about $15 each, and a quick serve meal with dessert and drink would run about $15 each person, we clearly came out ahead.

I think my head is going to explode with all the trip reports going on.

Another great report Andrew!

Although, I think you may want to add a few more pictures of Tebow :)

We didn't take up camping until a couple of years ago so I never heard of the shoe tree, pretty cool.

I know you Noles love you some Tebow!

I actually do have a few more photos, but I think you were being facetious, so I will spare you.

The Shoe Tree was really not that big of a deal, and I don't think many people miss it, but it was just one of those little details that made Fort Wilderness a special place.

We actually saw those shoes back in November, but I couldn't get a good pic. This was taken 11/22/10...

5459223871_7401debdca_b.jpg

Good job there, Monique.

They are hard to see, but I can see the shoes in your photo.

It looks like it is the same pair.

I didn't notice them until February of this year.

But your photo shows they were there in November.

TCD

Great another TCD trip report already, I just wish we could get to DW as much as the TCD gang.

My wife commented how nice it must be to go to WDW as often as the TCD Family does. I take this as hope that some day I will convince her it would be better to live in central Florida than southern Mass!

In the mean time, we will live vicariously through TCD and his most incredible Trip Reports! :popcorn: :suspense:

My wife commented how nice it must be to go to WDW as often as the TCD Family does. I take this as hope that some day I will convince her it would be better to live in central Florida than southern Mass!

In the mean time, we will live vicariously through TCD and his most incredible Trip Reports! :popcorn: :suspense:

The girls and I often discuss how lucky we are to live so close. We can get up on a Saturday morning and be at the front gate of one of the parks in less than 90 minutes. Since we visit often, we can and do hop around and hit a few attractions at the parks, and be home in time for bedtime. We have done that more this year than ever before.

I love where we live. There isn't anywhere else I would rather live.

TCD

Let's get this report moving.

For planning purposes, you should be aware that since this was just a one-night trip, and since we didn't stay at the Fort, this will be a short trip report. We actually are not far from the end of this one already. But, don't worry, we were at the Fort for four nights over Spring Break at the end of March, and then I still have another short trip report to get to after that.

Where we last left off, we were on the boat, to the Magic Kingdom, and had just passed the Shoe Tree.

It occurs to me that perhaps there are folks reading along who have never visited Fort Wilderness. For those of you who this applies to, let me tell you that the boat is how you get from the Fort to the Magic Kingdom. There are no buses that travel to the Magic Kingdom from the Fort. Just boats. And, I wouldn't have it any other way!

As we traveled along in the boat, I took a look back toward the Shoe Tree:

100_9744.jpg

You can see the Shoe Tree out there in the lake. According to a set of leaked construction plans, the shore line right behind the Shoe Tree is where one of the buildings for the new resort will be constructed. This would give guests staying in that resort an incredible view of the lake, but I personally would rather not see a building there. At this point, no one can be sure that the leaked plans are accurate, or whether this rumored resort will ever be built. Time will tell.

As we travel to the Magic Kingdom, we pass Discovery Island on the starboard side of the boat. If you look behind the trees on the left side in this photo, you can see the top of the net from the old aviary which used to operate on Discovery Island:

100_9749.jpg

And, here is the old shipwreck. It's a wonder that the hull of this ship hasn't completely collapsed after all of these years:

100_9754.jpg

Here's another shot from the stern looking toward the shoreline by Fort Wilderness (love the flag flapping in the breeze):

100_9760.jpg

Here's the Contemporary Resort:

100_9768.jpg

That is the old Contemporary Resort tower, which opened with WDW in 1971 on the left, and the new Bay Lake Tower DVC building, which opened in 2009, on the right. The BLT building used to bother me. I thought it ruined the classic look of the Contemporary Resort. But, I guess that I have gotten used to it, and I actually think it is a nice looking building.

Here is one more look back from the boat toward the Fort:

100_9770.jpg

As we get closer to the Contemporary Resort, we motor right past one of the original garden wings. The wings like this on the other side of the tower were demolished to make way for Bay Lake Tower. Despite the age of these buildings, they have been well maintained and updated, and they are probably the largest hotel rooms available in the WDW resorts. One thing cool about these rooms, as well as the rooms in the main tower, is that the rooms themselves were originally built off site, and then brought to the site, and slid into the building framework like drawers. When a room is upgraded, they just slide the old room out, and slide another one in place. The designers of this resort were well ahead of their time:

100_9778.jpg

Directly across from this part of the Contemporary Resort, there is a small island which I have heard referred to as Shipwreck Island, and just beyond that is this little cove:

100_9780.jpg

It was here that I saw something that I have never seen in Bay Lake before.

What was it?

Well, take a look at the surface of the lake toward the right edge of this photo:

100_9782.jpg

Do you see a small bump protruding from the water surface?

Let's zoom in on that area:

otters.jpg

Do you see the little black spot there on the water surface?

That, my friends, is an otter!

There were two of them frolicking right there in the little cove.

I have never seen an otter in Bay Lake before.

There is a member here who claims to have seen otters at the Fort many times.

I never have.

But, I have heard reliable reports from others who have seen otters.

These critters were not at the Fort, but they easily could have been.

I have traveled this route from Fort Wilderness to the Magic Kingdom so many times, that I seldom take the time to look at and appreciate the sights that we pass on the way. But this time, I did take the time to look. There are some really interesting things in the area where Bay Lake connects with the Seven Seas Lagoon.

Let's take a look at a few of them . . .

The monorail that circles the Seven Seas Lagoon is an amazing thing. Here we see how the supports were erected in the water, and how barriers were built to protect them from boat traffic:

100_9784.jpg

100_9786.jpg

There is a canal that connects Bay Lake with the Seven Seas Lagoon. Here we pass a boat heading the other way:

100_9788.jpg

This canal is actually a water bridge. One time, a chatty boat driver announced that this water bridge is one of only seven in the entire world. He also said that there are a few more water bridges on WDW property, and said that the majority of the water bridges that exist in the world are located here on WDW property. I am not sure where the others are, or whether water bridges are as rare as the boat driver said, but I know I haven't seen any others. Here we can see traffic driving under the water bridge:

100_9791.jpg

You can see that quite a lot of construction and reinforcement was done here:

100_9793.jpg

100_9795.jpg

The photo immediately above also shows traffic on the slope leading under the water bridge.

No matter how many times I have seen it, I still think it is cool that the monorails travel right through the Contemporary Resort tower:

100_9796.jpg

100_9800.jpg

Here we see that this breakwater is a popular hang-out for birds:

100_9809.jpg

The boats from Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge dock right next to where the ferry that runs between the Transportation and Ticket Center and the Magic Kingdom docks:

100_9810.jpg

We were in the Magic Kingdom for just over an hour on this visit. The express purpose of our visit was to pick up Fastpasses to use when we returned later in the evening. We were able to pick-up Fastpasses for Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain. We also got to ride each of those attractions, and a couple of others. We then headed toward the exit. It was getting late in the afternoon, and I still had not received a text from the Pop front desk with our room number. We were going to head back there to check on that.

On the way out of the Magic Kingdom, we ran into something we had never witnessed before. I think it is called the Flag retreat, and it is something that is done every day.

From what I gather, they select a veteran each day to assist with this. It is very well done. Here are some photos showing what happens. The guy in the jorts is the veteran of the day:

100_9817.jpg

100_9818.jpg

100_9820.jpg

100_9821.jpg

100_9822.jpg

100_9824.jpg

100_9825.jpg

I really appreciate the fact that WDW takes the time to do this on a daily basis.

As we headed toward the Pop Century bus stop, we noticed that there was a huge crowd waiting at the Fort Wilderness/Wilderness Lodge dock:

100_9834.jpg

100_9835.jpg

There must have been some kind of problem. This was not a busy day. When we were at the Fort in February, we ran into something like this one day. I think they have been having problems with the boats that serve Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge. When we visited again in late March, the problem seems to have been resolved. For once, I was glad that I wasn't heading toward the Fort.

Next up, we head to the Pop.

And check about our room.

And, then back to the MK for evening EMH.

The MK would be open to 3 am.

Do you think we will make it?

TCD

5 . . . .

One thing cool about these rooms, as well as the rooms in the main tower, is that the rooms themselves were originally built off site, and then brought to the site, and slid into the building framework like drawers. When a room is upgraded, they just slide the old room out, and slide another one in place. The designers of this resort were well ahead of their time:

I did not know this about the design of that building, that is really cool info! Who knew that this TR would turn educational on an architectural level!

On the way out of the Magic Kingdom, we ran into something we had never witnessed before. I think it is called the Flag retreat, and it is something that is done every day.

From what I gather, they select a veteran each day to assist with this. It is very well done. Here are some photos showing what happens. The guy in the jorts is the veteran of the day:

I really appreciate the fact that WDW takes the time to do this on a daily basis.

As the parent of a Soldier I too appreciate this gesture. I too was unaware that Disney did this. We will surely attend this during our next visit. Thanks TCD for taking the time to photograph the Service and make us all aware of it.

I did not know this about the design of that building, that is really cool info! Who knew that this TR would turn educational on an architectural level!

However, they have NEVER used this feature. The building and concrete settled and they can't get the modules OUT!!!

So therefore, they remodel the rooms the old fashioned way. I'm also guessing it's a lot cheaper.

Yep the one room they tried to remove they actually damaged the concrete and had to repair it. The company that designed it wanted to have Disney let them try and "FORCE" them out but Disney said "NO" were good!

Most of the Polynesian is done this way as well. Some light reading! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney's_Contemporary_Resort