Spring Break 2011 @ The Fort By TCD

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is just plain ridiculous. What the heck is going on here? TCD leaves for months and then comes back writing 4 or 5 trip reports at once?!? Is TCD getting paid to write trip reports?! Conspiracy!

It's not just your run of the mill Hippie, it's the accordion playing hippie or APH, that are the problem. Drove through the 3000 loop today and saw this sign. See, management is listening. I didn't s

Ok, so I was nosy and called the fish feeder place. I talked to a nice gentleman who told me there are a total of 4 fish feeders on Disney Property. The solar panel on top charges a little battery tha

Just catching up on your last updates.

Awesome canoe pictures, I love the shot with the canoe in the foreground of the photo.

I would have loved to be at the Fort and taken a picture of you and your canoe sitting stationary by the fish feeder and put it in a TR. I would be a legend!

How many people actually stay to 3am at MK? I'm curious because with our children we will never see that for several years.

Also is that a UF flag I see on your cart? Did you fly your colors this past weekend since the Gators are going to the CWS for the second consecutive year?

I think we should call the fish feeder people daily and ask if the fish at fort wilderness have been fed. Perhaps someone could ask for a tour of their facility. I want to see someone fill the fish feeder - we need to know when thats done so we can completely document the important role these fish feeders play at FW.

LOL!!! Do it!! They'll probably change the number! Or at least remove the sticker from the feeder. :rofl3: :rofl2: :rofl:

How many people actually stay to 3am at MK? I'm curious because with our children we will never see that for several years.

I have before several times, but then we usually don't get going anywhere till about 6 in the afternoon.

(Sleep in, late breakfast at Trails End, looping a bit, then nap time, then get going for dinner and late EMH!!)

I call foul on this TCDRMOG selection. What does he have plastered all over the MH & canopy, Gator stuff, and what is TCD's college of choice, you do the math.

I am not going to lie.

The guy's Gator gear helped him.

But, I would have issued the award to a 'Nole if he had been as ingenious.

Probably not to a BC fan.

But, you're the only BC fan that I have run across at the Fort.

Hey, TCD!

This looks like the basketball court on the 1400 loop.

Is it?

I know it is because I walked by that white Super Duty on my way to the comfort station every morning (sometimes I had to run.)

The Buckeye clan was just to your right in the Little Bear Loop....1460!

I think we went to Epcot this rainy day. It's a good park to do in the rain.

Please proceed.

Yes, that is the 1400 loop BB court!

There was, in fact, a very soggy Brutus just off to the right of where this photo was taken.

I'm sorry that we have yet to meet up.

Maybe next time.

I agree about Epcot being a good place to visit on a rainy day. We went there too. But, so did everyone else.

1. Challenge accepted.

2. I know absolutely NO gnome mushroom people. Maybe a few gypsies but no gnome mushroom people.

No self respecting southern woman can walk away from a challenge like that. I'm on it... but only if I get a badge. ;) Maybe I'd better figure out how to record the call BEFORE taking the meds though. :rofl2:

Another great installment! I am truly enjoying following along. :banana:

1. Something is fishy here. How could you not notice mushroom gnome people? SC isn't that big, is it? These must have been some kind of impostors.

2. If you post the results of your interview of the fish feeder people, you will get a badge.

I think we should call the fish feeder people daily and ask if the fish at fort wilderness have been fed. Perhaps someone could ask for a tour of their facility. I want to see someone fill the fish feeder - we need to know when thats done so we can completely document the important role these fish feeders play at FW.

Funny. I wonder how long it will be before that number goes out of service?

awesome trip report. Missed these. I have a funny story about the algae in the 500 loop for you.

For the sake of space, I edited out the details of your story. But, thanks for sharing it! That is hilarious. I have a feeling that from now on when I see that canal, I am gong to be thinking of your Yellow Brick Road story. I wish I had seen it happen.

Also is that a UF flag I see on your cart? Did you fly your colors this past weekend since the Gators are going to the CWS for the second consecutive year?

1. Yes that is my Gator Nation flag. I put it on the cart to support UF in their Elite 8 game against Butler. Based on the results of that game, I think the flag is bad luck. So I left it off for the CWS, and look what happened. And, before you ask, no you cannot borrow it. BTW- my oldest DD got to work the press box at FSU for its baseball games this past weekend. She met Gene Deckerhoff, and Jimbo even stopped by!

2. Not many folks make it to 3 am. In fact, so few that it surprises me that they keep it open that late. We usually try to end at either Big Thunder or Space where you can ride continuously. At Big Thunder, they let you stay in the train, and go around and around. Good times.

I have before several times, but then we usually don't get going anywhere till about 6 in the afternoon.

(Sleep in, late breakfast at Trails End, looping a bit, then nap time, then get going for dinner and late EMH!!)

I agree with this advice.

It is hard to make it to 3 am if you've been at it all day.

I can do it, but most folks can't.

TCD

Before moving on with another installment in this report, there is something I wanted to update.

Remember yesterday I mentioned that I ran in to a Fiend who goes by Starbuc71 on Discussion Boards?

Well, he was reading along, and he has re-joined us here on FortFiends.net.

A lot of you have already sent a welcoming message to him.

If you haven't, here's a link to the thread that he started last evening:

Well, I'm Back

Since that thread is on the Community Board, you have to be a member here to go there.

Which means it's time for some of you to join.

You know who I'm talking about.

Anyway, it is great to have Starbuc71 on board here with the Fiends!

TCD

Well, folks, we have reached that point.

These are the last photos from this trip.

This may have caught some of you by surprise.

But, as I mentioned above, my camera broke.

It seemed to be taking photos, but the video screen on the back was broken.

I experimented with taking photos anyway.

What did I have to lose?

These are the photos that I took over the last day of our trip.

A lot of them were blurry.

Some of these are, too.

But, these are the best that I have from after the camera broke.

As I mentioned earlier, it was a very rainy day.

This is the area behind the 1500/1600 loop comfort station. As you can see, water was starting to accumulate:

101_0365.jpg

Our campsite was getting swampy too:

101_0366.jpg

We headed to Epcot and had a late lunch at the Mexico quick serve location. We have tried it a few times now since they remodeled it. We like it. We hung around it Epcot for a while, and ended up at Hollywood Studios. And that was our Monday.

Things were still real soggy on Tuesday morning, but at least the rain had stopped.

Here's the Settlement Bus Stop area:

101_0367.jpg

101_0369.jpg

101_0370.jpg

There were a bunch of workers doing something over there by one of the Petting Zoo fences:

101_0371.jpg

I have always liked this sign. It could use a little sprucing up:

101_0372.jpg

This is the old windmill. Remember I couldn't see the photos I was taking:

101_0373.jpg

Here we are at the Horse Barn, and here are the trucks and trailers ready to take the horses to work:

101_0374.jpg

Here's the Blacksmith Shop. Rumor has it that this will be gone soon:

101_0375.jpg

And, here is the barn itself:

101_0377.jpg

101_0378.jpg

Here are a few ponies trying to dry out:

101_0379.jpg

And another shot of the famous TCD sign:

101_0380.jpg

There's the workers again:

101_0381.jpg

I did a little final looping for this trip.

This rig was set up on the 2000 loop. I haven't ever seen anything quite like it. It looks like this was a double decker set up:

101_0382.jpg

As I got things packed up, a bunch of workers showed up right behind my site:

101_0383.jpg

101_0384.jpg

I'm not sure if you can see it, but they were setting up a barricade around the sidewalk there. Then, they broke up the sidewalk, and started hauling away the concrete. I wasn't sure what they were doing. A new entrance to the 1300 loop? But, since i am so late in posting this report, I have since been back to the Fort and can tell you that all they did was pour a new sidewalk. I didn't think the old one was that bad. But, that is all that this was about.

The girls had taken off to one of the parks while I was packing up. They were at the MK for lunch, so I made one last run around the Fort.

The sun was out now, and the lake behind the Meadow Trading Post looked a little fuller from all the rain:

101_0386.jpg

101_0387.jpg

No one had been working on the Settlement Trading Post roof on Monday because of all the rain. But, they stripped off the second part of the old roof on Tuesday. This was interesting to watch. The old wood shingles practically disintegrated as they were being removed. I guess they had rotted:

101_0388.jpg

101_0389.jpg

The girls were coming back on a resort boat, so I waited for them at Clementine's Beach. A MK boat went by on its way to the MK first:

101_0390.jpg

Then the resort boat came:

101_0392.jpg

101_0393.jpg

If you look real close, you can see the TCD twins there on the boat.

Actually, I don't think you can.

But, that's the boat they were on.

After I picked the girls up, we stopped for a last drink at Trail's End. A landscape crew was going to town:

101_0394.jpg

From there, we headed to our truck, and then home.

That's all I have for this one.

Another TCD trip report is complete!

Not to worry, there are still two on the way.

Will I ever get caught up?

For your planning purposes, I am going to wait until next week to start my next one.

That will give you all a chance to get caught up with some of the other great reports going on now.

So,

Until the next one . . .

TCD is out!

This a very nice picture, fish feeder and all :rofl2:

Those shots with the broken camera came out pretty nice. Now I am really ashamed of my photography skills cry.gif

LOL-

I didn't even notice the Fish Feeder!

Great Report!!

I have found that even a small splash of water in just the right place can kill a camera in a heartbeat!!

I think it was water that got to this one.

In between the canoe ride and the rainy day, it got more than a small splash a couple of times.

TCD

1. Yes that is my Gator Nation flag. I put it on the cart to support UF in their Elite 8 game against Butler. Based on the results of that game, I think the flag is bad luck. So I left it off for the CWS, and look what happened. And, before you ask, no you cannot borrow it. BTW- my oldest DD got to work the press box at FSU for its baseball games this past weekend. She met Gene Deckerhoff, and Jimbo even stopped by!

TCD

Ahhh, that would mean she was lucky enough to be at Saturday night's game. The Animals were out of control that game, and unfortunately the Noles used all their hits and runs in one game. I heard Jimbo being interviewed by ESPN. Pretty cool.

And great report as usual! I am getting very anxious about getting back to the Fort, but we don't have any plans in the near future. So go ahead and knock out another one.

Ahhh, that would mean she was lucky enough to be at Saturday night's game. The Animals were out of control that game, and unfortunately the Noles used all their hits and runs in one game. I heard Jimbo being interviewed by ESPN. Pretty cool.

And great report as usual! I am getting very anxious about getting back to the Fort, but we don't have any plans in the near future. So go ahead and knock out another one.

I think it was Saturday night. The score sounded like a football score.

She has her fingers crossed that she will get an internship with the Athletic Department for the Fall. That would mean she could be in the press box for the football games. That would be sweet.

TCD

This rig was set up on the 2000 loop. I haven't ever seen anything quite like it. It looks like this was a double decker set up:

101_0382.jpg

We were in the same loop with this setup. It was cool. It looked like their sleeping quarters were on top of the jeep and the kitchen or living area was on the bottom. Very neat.

Also, wasn't it on Sunday that we met down by Pioneer Hall?

2. Not many folks make it to 3 am. In fact, so few that it surprises me that they keep it open that late. We usually try to end at either Big Thunder or Space where you can ride continuously. At Big Thunder, they let you stay in the train, and go around and around. Good times.

We're not morning people, and we tend to go to wdw mostly during the summer months, so we love the 2 & 3am EMHs. The problem for us, is that there's usually nowhere to go during those last three hours of near-empty ride enjoyment to find a drink or snack. If you'd asked me years ago, I'd have been doubtful the gift shops ever closed when there were still guests with $$ in their wallets within a few miles of the place. I'd have been wrong...

really, would it kill them to leave a couple of soda carts or the hot dog place open?? I think not... unfortunately I seem to be in the minority on this one though... :(

rant over...

Another Fantastic Trip Report! Thanks TCD!

We're not morning people, and we tend to go to wdw mostly during the summer months, so we love the 2 & 3am EMHs. The problem for us, is that there's usually nowhere to go during those last three hours of near-empty ride enjoyment to find a drink or snack. If you'd asked me years ago, I'd have been doubtful the gift shops ever closed when there were still guests with $$ in their wallets within a few miles of the place. I'd have been wrong...

really, would it kill them to leave a couple of soda carts or the hot dog place open?? I think not... unfortunately I seem to be in the minority on this one though... :(

rant over...

Another Fantastic Trip Report! Thanks TCD!

Agreed!!!! I don't know WHY they close food places so soon. My BIGGEST beef is the Fountainview Cafe (now Ice Cream Shop) at Epcot at closing. Our first few years of going to WDW, we would just about always make our way over to the place, grab a snack and beverage and sit for well over an hour watching the fountain dance while the crowds thinned out. Can't do that anymore. For awhile it totally closed, then recently while it is open during the day, it usually closes at 7pm.

Also, the Future World Sit Downs close at 8pm. GRRRRRRR

Great report TCD! I have never even come close to hitting 3am at a park. Not sure I've even made it past midnight! Someday perhaps. Anyways, I really enjoyed the report, with the exception of this shot:

I snapped this interesting self-portrait on Space Mountain:

101_0328.jpg

That pic is one Nuremburg sausage away from a sleepless night for me.

That pic is one Nuremburg sausage away from a sleepless night for me.y enjoyed the report, with the exception of this shot:

:rofl:

Great report as always. :yay: The last round of pics wasn't too shabby considering you couldn't see what you were photographing. I suggest a waterproof camera for your next one. I have an Olympus Stylus Tough for those times I need to protect my nicer camera. Waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof. I haven't tried freezing it yet, but the WP and SP features are great! Just a thought. ;)

Gabe hasn't given me a chance to breathe let alone conduct an interview regarding the fish feeder. Tomorrow is another day... perhaps i can do it then.

Again, I loved the report and soooo appreciate you taking the time to post it.

BTW... I saw a mushroom gnome today. I was almost tempted.... almost.