Let's use this thread to post recipes to cook at home (or camping) rather than eating out.

I will start with our favorite meal it is a pinch of this cause that's how we roll

Something Chicken

Boneless skinless breasts

salt pepper and garlic powder to season

in a pan cook up some cubed pancetta

cook onions in fat

cook chix in pan or grill

top chix with pancetta, and mixed cheese like montery cheddar and melt serve with yellow rice and black beans

For a quick on the fly meal we keep frozen shrimp in the freezer. These can be defrosted by running under water then peeled.

Sauté in olive oil and Red pepper flakes and garlic. Season to taste. Toss in pasta and add cheese.

Go to meal when unprepared.

I try to keep hot dogs in the freezer and baked beans in the pantry. If we ever have dinner plans fall through (out oo late to start planned meal or whatever), I defrost the hot dogs and toss them in the baked beans for quick beanies and weiners. Not the healthiest, but cheaper than paying for McD's for 8 hungry people. ;)

Many of my children love pasta. I try to buy lots when it is on sale. My oldest 4 children have all learned how to cook up 2 lbs. of pasta, drain it, and add butter and spices. This is a cheap and very filling meal.

Another favorite is vegetable ice cream. LOL That's my dh's name for it. We make mashed potatoes and stir in veggies (peas, corn, whatever we have on hand) and spices.

Oh, and we eat a lot of beans. I buy them dried and use this recipe to cook them in the crockpot without having to soak them first.

Combine the following in a 8 qt. crock pot:

3 pounds of dried beans - I use 2 lbs. black beans and 1 lb. pinto

1 tsp. cumin

3 TBS kosher salt

1 1/2 tsp black pepper

3 TBS olive oil

6 TBS minced, dried onion

Water to within 1 inch of the top of the crock

Set to cook on low.

When the food budget is very tight, we have weeks of "beans 3 ways". One night we have meat-less nachos. My children like separate piles instead of one big mound. They get beans, tortilla chips, mexican or cheddar cheese, and corn. If the budget permits, we might also offer salsa, sour cream, and/or gaucamole. Another night, I serve beans and rice and another night is beans and cornbread. I also serve bean soup. I guess that beans 4 ways. (If you eat them this often, your system adjusts and you won't be as gassy.)

I'll post more as I think of them.

I try to buy 4 or 5 bags of 21-25 shrimp when they go on sale at Publix. Also buy smoked sausage when on sale and freeze it. Then all I have to get is corn and red potatoes and I've got "Low Country Boil". Love that stuff. It seems every time we go camping with family, that's what they ask me to fix.

I also make Jambalaya a day or so before leaving on a camping trip. Takes longer to make, but is wonderful when reheated.

If anyone is interested, I can put the recipes for both in this thread.

I try to buy 4 or 5 bags of 21-25 shrimp when they go on sale at Publix. Also buy smoked sausage when on sale and freeze it. Then all I have to get is corn and red potatoes and I've got "Low Country Boil". Love that stuff. It seems every time we go camping with family, that's what they ask me to fix.

I also make Jambalaya a day or so before leaving on a camping trip. Takes longer to make, but is wonderful when reheated.

If anyone is interested, I can put the recipes for both in this thread.

I'd love to see your Jambalaya recipe, that's the one thing I dont cook that my DH would love.. and basically because I havnet found a good recipe

I'd love to see your Jambalaya recipe, that's the one thing I dont cook that my DH would love.. and basically because I havnet found a good recipe

I'll post it in the morning when I've got more time.

Oh, and we eat a lot of beans. I buy them dried and use this recipe to cook them in the crockpot without having to soak them first.

I like that idea! I have never used dried beans before. I will try that! I am also going to use your bread this weekend. I want to use it for buns and have hot dogs.Thanks!

When I make Spaghetti sauce, I always make a huge pot and freeze what we don't eat. It's quick to thaw in the microwave, heat it up, make some angel hair pasta, salad and garlic bread for a quick meal.

Speaking of this, my son took tomatoes from his garden and blanched, peeled and cooked to make homemade sauce tonight. Wow, it's delicious!

JAMBALAYA

Ingredients:

2 to 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or boned dark meat if you prefer)

2lbs. smoked sausage or Andoulle (sp).

1lb. smoked Ham

1 large Onion (white or yellow)

3 to 4 Cloves Garlic

3 to 4 Ribs Celery

2 large Bell Peppers

1 bunch Green Onions

1/2 cup chopped Parsley

1/2 tsp. Dried Thyme

1tsp. Louisiana Hot Sauce

1/4 cup L&P Worcestshire Sauce

1/4 cup Peanut Oil (or other high temp oil)

1 to 1/2 cups Long Grain Rice

1 large or 4 small cans of Chicken Stock

1 28oz can of Chopped or Diced Tomatoes

Process :

Chop all vegetables into bite size pieces except the garlic which is finely chopped. Heat oil in stock pot and saute vegetables until the onions are clear.

Add the chicken stock and the tomatoes and bring to a light boil.

Add the chicken.

Cook until the chicken is opaque then add the ham and sausage.

Lower heat to simmer and let the ingredients cook through.

Add the Thyme, L&P, and Hot sauce and simmer a bit longer then add the parsley.

At this time, check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.

Add rice, cover pot, and simmer until the rice is done. (about 20 minutes)

I like my Jambalaya a bit wet as opposed to the heavy rice dish that true Cajuns prefer.

If this is your case, adjust your rice based on the amount of liquid in the pot.

Also, practically any meat can be substituted for the chicken and ham. Gotta have the smoked sausage though as that is a key flavor element. Level of heat can be adjusted to suit your taste. I always add a little hot sauce to mine after serving, but the family prefers theirs mild.

This dish is best served with a crusty bread, sourdough or french bread. Heck, I even like Cuban bread with it. A nice cold beverage and you're good to go. It's even better the next day. ENJOY!!!:dance:

LOW COUNTRY BOIL -=-=- One of my campsite favorites

Shrimp (headless or head-on) Figure at least 1/2 lb per person

2-3 lbs of smoked sausage

1 doz ears fresh or frozen corn on the cobb halved

5lbs small red potatoes

1 yellow onion quartered

2 lemons halved

2 cups white wine (I really like Yellowtail Chardonnay for this)

1 bag Zatarains Crab and shrimp boil

Old Bay seasoning

Bring 2 or 3 gallons of water to a boil to which you've added the Crab boil pack, the white wine, and a good shake of Old Bay.

Add lemons, onion, sausage and red potatoes. Boil for about 5 minutes then add the corn. Let this cook until corn is the way you like it and the potatoes are fork tender.

Add the shrimp. Cook until the shrimp start to float and it's ready.

Spread newspaper out on the table, and dump the cooked goodies out on it. Everybody dig in and enjoy.

014bf077.jpg

3 Cups Self Rising flour

1/2 cup sugar

12 oz beer

2 Tbl butter

mix floor, sugar and beer. pour into bread pan. bake 50 minutes at 375 degrees. top with melted butter, bake for 5 minutes.

Used Bass Ale in this one.

• 1 month later...

We call this "hunter's stuff" after the gal that devised it.....

Three ingredients.

Box of Kraft original shells n cheese

can of rotel (store brand excellent and cheap)

pound of browned, drained ground beef (i brown, drain, rinse and freeze ahead of time)

Make the shells n cheese, dump in the undrained rotel and ground beef. Enjoy!!

Three ingredients.

pound of browned, drained ground beef (i brown, drain, rinse and freeze ahead of time)

We've done the same thing with regular boxed Mac & Cheese for years. Some variations to try:

cook the hamburger with taco seasoning mix;

Instead of burger, take the skin off of Sweet Italian Sausage; substitute a can of petite diced tomatoes for the Rotel; add a dash of Italian Seasoning;

Saute some onion with the burger or Italian Sausage;

and on and on. Perk it up with your family favorites ...

:popcorn: :banana: I always have the frozen spaghetti sauce as well. Try the Hillshire Farms Smoked sausages, whatever type you like, smothered with green peppers and onions. I use the Pepperidge Farms soft hoagie rolls. Yumm and the aroma drives your neighbors nuts !

Also for a quickie try trimming small strips of steak or chicken in a little olive oil, cover and simmer until done. Add Ragu sauce (of your choice) I use the garden vegatable-simmer until meat tender. We serve over rice, but you could use pasta as well. Crunchy bread & salad ! Mama Mia !

I also make a veggie pizza using the old time Chef Boyardee Pizza kit, very easy to do also. And of course, the old fashioned pot roat put into the crock pot. I always flour and brown the roast before putting it on and it makes a delightful gravy.

Three ingredients.

I tried this last night, and it was a hit! How ever I prefer Velveeta shells and cheese, this is going on my list for October Trip! :banana:

We've done the same thing with regular boxed Mac & Cheese for years. Some variations to try:

cook the hamburger with taco seasoning mix;

Instead of burger, take the skin off of Sweet Italian Sausage; substitute a can of petite diced tomatoes for the Rotel; add a dash of Italian Seasoning;

Saute some onion with the burger or Italian Sausage;

and on and on. Perk it up with your family favorites ...

My sons absolute favorite is to use 2 boxes (original) mac & cheese with hot dogs sliced up in it. I boil the hot dogs right along with the noodles, 1 pan, easy clean up!!

My sons absolute favorite is to use 2 boxes (original) mac & cheese with hot dogs sliced up in it. I boil the hot dogs right along with the noodles, 1 pan, easy clean up!!

:bravo:

We have always sliced the dogs and and pan fried. BUT I :heart: the idea of only one pan!

:doublebeer:

Three ingredients.

I made this tonight and my family liked it. :banana: Another quick and easy dinner to make that will fill them up. Thank you!!