"I like sleeping in the kitchen!"

I don't want it to end! :(

Love your planning stragegy.... have fun and don't forget to eat! Sounds a lot like ours. ;)

I don't blame your hubby for not wanting your DD to potty on his shoulders. My hubby wouldn't like that either.

How awesomely magical that your daughter got to ride Cinderella's personal horse. :fairydust:

This has been one fantastic trip report! I hope there's at least a little more. I don't know if I can stop cold turkey. ;)

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SL373910.jpg

The man in the yellow shirt is the Veteran of the Day!

I saw that! I pointed him out to DH. He loved it - he is uber-patriotic, so this really moved him.

Love this picture! :heart: Moments like this are what makes WDW so special (though if DD would have pottied down Dad's back, not so much :lol: )

So sad knowing that your report is almost finished. You've done a great job! Hoping there's another trip in your future.

BTW, the "dark picture of the pole" is phenomenal!!! :rofl2:

That is one of my favorite pictures too. I really tried hard to get the "non event" pictures this time, and I'm really happy with them!

I hope there's another trip too - we have to keep our fingers crossed!

I'm glad you like the "dark pole" :rofl2: There are a ton of pics like that!

Holy smokes, how did I ever miss this TR?!?? Just got to read it cover-to-(almost)cover, and love, love it! Great photos, great stories -- your family is just too darn adorable for words. Thanks so for taking the time to do the TR!

Glad you found me! Thanks for the compliments! I enjoyed doing the TR - just wish I'd had more time for it.

Nooo, say it isn't so. This can't be coming to an end. I start my morning with this report, it puts a smile on my face and gets me ready to start my day. You arfe just going to have to go back so you can write another TR :banana:

I sure hope Dad learned that little girls will always say no they don't have to go potty, right up until the potty dance starts :rofl2: It was so nice that the CM's let you guys go back in that was true :fairydust:

Now I'm just waiting for the wrap up :(

I'm so glad I'm your morning coffee! Wow! That makes me feel so sunshine-y! But, I'm a sunshine-y kind of girl so it makes me feel extra good! :heart:

Yes, we picked up on some serious pixie dust this trip!

Wow, talk about a strong finish!

Excellent!

I agree with S70 on the photo of your DD laughing with your DH. It doesn't get any better than that.

You went a little fast there at the end, so I have some comments to catch up on:

1. You had a great plan for your last day! And, you were right to go to the park your DD wanted to even if you had already been there a lot. As she gets older, there may be other parks and attractions that she would rather visit. It doesn't matter which one you choose or how many times you visit it, as long as everyone is having fun!

2. I have never eaten at the Plaza restaurant. Which is really strange. We were big fans of Sonny Eclipse for so long, that it seemed like we always ended up at Cosmic Ray's. We like Columbia Harbor House, too.

3. I have likewise never eaten at the taco/burrito joint across from Pirates. But not for lack of wanting to. Like the Noodle Station, this place is never open when we visit.

4. I never knew that there was one horse on the carousel designated as Cinderella's. And I have ridden that carousel a lot. You learn something new every day!

5. I, too, find it odd that there is a whole attraction based on Song of the South when it is likely that the far majority of WDW visitors have never seen, or probably even heard of the movie.

6. I'm glad that you got to see the flag retreat. I had never seen it before until recently. It is a great event.

You really did a great job on this trip report!

I'm looking forward to your final thoughts.

TCD

Ah, TCD - we are both so PRO-lists! :banana:

I'm glad you enjoyed the TR. I tried to make it interesting, and not too boring.

I'm so glad you had mentioned the flag retreat before on your TR so I knew what it was when I finally put my brain in gear!

Final thoughts coming soon. I have lots of thoughts - but I'll keep it brief! :rolleyes:

I don't want it to end! :(

Love your planning stragegy.... have fun and don't forget to eat! Sounds a lot like ours. ;)

I don't blame your hubby for not wanting your DD to potty on his shoulders. My hubby wouldn't like that either.

How awesomely magical that your daughter got to ride Cinderella's personal horse. :fairydust:

This has been one fantastic trip report! I hope there's at least a little more. I don't know if I can stop cold turkey. ;)

Awww! Thanks so much! That means a lot!

Yeah, it got his attention EXTRA because of her position on his shoulders! :rofl2:

One more post to come soon, and that'll be it. I need to take some time to catch up on some other reports around here! Like yours!

Great JOB! Thank you for sharing! How neat that she got Conderella's horse!

Thanks! I thought the horse was pretty cool, too! :banana:

It's so funny that we're all so sad to see good TRs come to an end...it's like the virtual equivalent of getting that little notice stuck under your windshield wiper at the end of a Fort stay.

Someone needs to get a photo of one of those, and it can go on the end of every TR, lol.

We do need to do that - it would be PERFECT!!

Well, here we are at final thoughts. *Sigh*

And there are a LOT of them. Doodle, go warm up your coffee...

I think I’ll do a list. I’m such a list person.

1. We are PRO-Donnie! ^-^ We rented our fifth wheel from makecampingeasy.com and found that the most valuable part was the service! Who

knew?! We texted Donnie approximately 400 times on our trip ::) . He always replied very quickly and took care of whatever questions we

had. About ANYTHING. It was GREAT!! He also got us in touch with Judy Feisty and she was a GREAT resource for planning and saving $$!

2. Less is more at Disney. Next time we go, I will plan even less. Yes, I know, that’s hard to believe. I’m a little lax of a planner

anyway, and try to keep things simple. Who wants to go on vacation and be stressed out by what you “have to do”!

The last couple of days we really rediscovered the magic of being surprised. There’s nothing like stumbling upon the street entertainment,

finding out there’s a parade in 20 minutes, or running out of the store to see the flag retreat. My “must do” list for next trip will

be “Slim and Trim”, with plenty of time to “stroll around” and be surprised!

3. Cabins vs. Campers

We have stayed at the Fort exactly twice – and plan to make that number grow. First year, a cabin with a 2yo. The second year, a camper

with a 3yo. It’s a little hard to compare “apples to apples” since our daughter changes SO much from year to year. Also, our second trip

was twice as long as the first. But, I’ll do my best to get the “low down” out there about cabins vs. campers.

Let’s make another list (I know TCD is with me here). Pros of each. There will be no Cons list, since we’re at the Fort and there are

REALLY no Cons.

Cabin Pros:

They are generally larger than a camper. If your camper is larger than a cabin, :worship: .

The bathrooms are bigger and you have a tub.

You get Mousekeeping – who doesn’t like someone ELSE doing the dishes?! And the towel animals. :waycool:

The cabins have a deck outside, so it’s less sandy and dirty at the door.

The cabin has a full-size refrigerator with an ice maker.

Camper Pros:

You have an awning over your outdoor sitting area. No awning over the deck of a cabin.

The choices of desirable loops are much more abundant. The prices vary, but you can stay in many different locations and the cabin loops are all kinda in one place.

The camper people tend to be out-and-about more. More sense of community. Of course, this could be because WE were out-and-about more because our trip was longer. 8)

The camper seemed to have more than the cabin. Or maybe the placement of them is better. Whatever. We had much nicer views from inside the camper.

Camping loops have comfort stations – very convenient for multiple people wanting to shower or for doing laundry.

Neutral territory:

If you’re staying in a cabin, you’re sleeping in “someone else’s bed”. Same if you rent a camper – which was us. Now, if you have your own camper this is different but then you wouldn’t be thinking about a cabin either, I guess.

A golf cart is very convenient and fun! Our camper was a long walk to the bus stop, but we had a golf cart so it didn’t matter. Our cabin was about 20 yards from a bus stop and we didn’t have a golf cart, so it mattered and we were so glad to be close. So, if you don’t get a golf cart – just be sure you are close to a bus stop. I think it’s a luxury but not a necessity.

So, the verdict is: no verdict. Whichever you feel like doing is a great Fort experience! The cabin is more like a “house” and the camper is more like camping. That sounds dumb, but that’s about what it boils down to.

The important thing is that the Fort is magical to everyone there. The wildlife, the quiet, the nice people, the convenience of having your own autonomy – it’s all there. The boat to CR, WL, and MK is wonderful. Fireworks at the beach, Sing-a-Long with Chip and Dale, looping, paying too much for stuff at the Trading Post, having a drink in a rocking chair on the porch, watching the kids play – it’s all the same.

4. Boy, #3 was a long one...

The Fort holds a special magic for those who hold it dear. :fairydust: It is unique at WDW and that is so precious. I’m sure we will go

many places with DD and see many things as she grows up. I can’t wait to take her to NYC for Christmas, D.C. over July 4th, and Jackson

Hole in February. There will be other resorts we will “try out” at Disney and hotels at the beach.

But the Fort will always be our special place. It’s where we introduced DD to DisneyWorld and had our first “real family vacation”. It is

where I really discovered that being outdoors is my “thin place” and inspired me to find more opportunities to do so.

5. Someday we will buy a MH. Hopefully, when DD starts school and we quit paying for daycare. But, we will cross that bridge when we come to

it. In the meantime, we have great options at the Fort to use and we plan on doing just that! :yay:

Thanks to everyone who followed along on my TR – I appreciate all the comments and feedback! Cross your fingers that all goes well and we are able to do another trip next year!

Good night, and good luck.

I agree with KFK, great job on the summary. I'm glad that you took the leap of faith to try Donnie's 5th wheel, and I hope that you have inspired others to try it as well.

It sounds like you have some fun trips planned for your DD.

Remember the TR section here isn't just for Fort trips.

And, congratulations on making it in to the top ten of most-viewed TR's here. Yours is currently in 8th place!

Great job!

TCD

Beth I'm really glad you guy's enjoyed the camper as much as I enjoyed having you guys come stay. My main goal is for everyone who stays to enjoy it. I was across the street quite a bit during Beths stay and every morning I'd see the awning lowered like I asked in case of storms. Great people who I hope will come back again and make referals. I'm going to work on getting some menus from off site places that deliver when you can't get anything from Disney. At least some of the pizza joints and stuff so something is available.

Awesome trip report! I loved every minute and hate to see it end! Your family is just adorable, especially your daughter!

Thanks Rita! We hated to see it end too. :-\

Awesome trip report! Thank you for posting! I hate to see it end too ...

Thanks a bunch! ;D

Okay, it's over :( My mornings are going to start looking like thisgood-morning61.jpg

Thanks for sharing your vacation with us.

Awwwww - so sorry Cherie! I hope I can entertain you again next year! Maybe you can start putting something a little more creative in your coffee to pass the morning >:D

Great job on your summary. Completely on point and I totally agree.

I am soooo sad to see this TR come to an end. From start to finish I've enjoyed every bit!

Thanks Kim. It really turned into an essay didn't it? ::)

I agree with KFK, great job on the summary. I'm glad that you took the leap of faith to try Donnie's 5th wheel, and I hope that you have inspired others to try it as well.

It sounds like you have some fun trips planned for your DD.

Remember the TR section here isn't just for Fort trips.

And, congratulations on making it in to the top ten of most-viewed TR's here. Yours is currently in 8th place!

Great job!

TCD

Thanks TCD - and I will keep that in mind. We don't have anything big planned at least until next summer. Our family is scattered all over the country, so we try to see them on holidays. But, that would not make a fun trip report. Well, I don't know... I've got quite a nutty family... :rofl2:

Beth I'm really glad you guy's enjoyed the camper as much as I enjoyed having you guys come stay. My main goal is for everyone who stays to enjoy it. I was across the street quite a bit during Beths stay and every morning I'd see the awning lowered like I asked in case of storms. Great people who I hope will come back again and make referals. I'm going to work on getting some menus from off site places that deliver when you can't get anything from Disney. At least some of the pizza joints and stuff so something is available.

Thanks Donnie! We tried to take good care of the place - especially since we had no experience staying in one. I hear my parents talking about stuff they do to their 5er, but it goes in one ear and out the other... Now, I'll know what they're talking about! Yeah, the menu thing is a great idea. You could just stick it to a magnet and put it on the range hood.

You never did come and cook us any supper! I thought that was part of the deal... :))

I just wanted to say I've enjoyed reading your trip report, too.

Your daughter is so cute, and I like the laid-back way you did your vacation.

Your summary was very informative. Did you (or anyone else out there) compare the two options by price?

Just wondering how different the price was per night. I know I could figure it out by myself( :rolleyes: ) but I guess I'm just a little too busy (or is it lazy??).

Your comments about your dad hit home with me, as well. My dad was a driver and camper, said he would never fly anywhere on vacation. We did camping trips to Wyoming, Canada, Nova Scotia and Myrtle Beach. He died in 1974 when he was only 55, so never got to see Disney World. Somehow I think it would've been a place he would have loved to go to.

Thanks again for a great trip report.

:bravo:

Hey - I've been so busy I didn't notice that two important things happened sometime during this TR:

I am a Super Fiend! :banana:

And I have a tag! :dance:

Congratulations Super Fiend!

And, you are almost at 3,000 views on this TR!

That's a BFD! (Big Fort Deal).

Only three Fiends have posted TR's here which have exceeded 3,000 views!

It looks like you will be the fourth!

It's time for us to start carving the Fiend Mount Rushmore!

Your summary was very informative. Did you (or anyone else out there) compare the two options by price?

Just wondering how different the price was per night. I know I could figure it out by myself( :rolleyes: ) but I guess I'm just a little too busy (or is it lazy??).

Your comments about your dad hit home with me, as well. My dad was a driver and camper, said he would never fly anywhere on vacation. We did camping trips to Wyoming, Canada, Nova Scotia and Myrtle Beach. He died in 1974 when he was only 55, so never got to see Disney World. Somehow I think it would've been a place he would have loved to go to.

1. I have not done any serious number crunching, but my gut tells me that the option of paying for a site and renting a camper is cheaper than a cabin. Of course, there are a lot of variables, and there may be special rates that would make the cabin cheaper, but overall, I would say that renting the camper would save you money over a cabin. Also, Donnie's 5th wheel sleeps more than a cabin, and you also get the added benefit of his concierge services.

2. I am sorry about your dad. 55 is too young. Thanks for sharing your story though, as it can serve as a reminder to all the dads (and moms) out there to remember that none of us is guaranteed tomorrow. We need to make those memories and share those special moments now.

TCD

Hey - I've been so busy I didn't notice that two important things happened sometime during this TR:

I am a Super Fiend! :banana:

And I have a tag! :dance:

I like your new tag! And you've been a super fiend since day one!! :D

:lol: Thank you!

3-congrats3.gif

;D Thanks! Hey Hero Fiend - I wonder if there's a level after Hero?

I just wanted to say I've enjoyed reading your trip report, too.

Your daughter is so cute, and I like the laid-back way you did your vacation.

Thanks again for a great trip report.

Thanks so much! I compared the two options (along with others) by price on many levels. The camper option is definitely cheaper than the cabin, all the way around. If you stay at a cabin during the cheapest value time and get one of those snazzy 40% discounts, it's close. But, since we go in summer, we can only hit that semi-value season that starts for the cabins around July 18 every year. And with no discount it's crazy more expensive.

I'm so sorry about your Dad. Mine was also very young - only 58. He was diagnosed with colon and liver cancer when he was 54 and given a grim diagnosis. We felt very fortunate to get those last 4 years. It's hard to lose them young. Well, it's hard to lose them anytime isn't it? I've already had my first colonoscopy.

Congratulations Super Fiend!

And, you are almost at 3,000 views on this TR!

That's a BFD! (Big Fort Deal).

Only three Fiends have posted TR's here which have exceeded 3,000 views!

It looks like you will be the fourth!

It's time for us to start carving the Fiend Mount Rushmore!

TCD

Thanks TCD! That's a BFC! (Big Fort Compliment) And 4th place! How fitting - I came in 4th at graduation. See - they were respectable top ten things...

I like your new tag! And you've been a super fiend since day one!! :D

Awwww!!! Thanks!