Pop, Pop,...Pop Century

So, the moment has come. All that practicing with ways to load photos from the road to photobucket so I could master the skills of doing live trip reports with an iPhone will hopefully pay off. Sure, I enjoyed posting pix of the kids on scout camping trips. Who doesn't like trying to type on a miniature keyboard in sub-freezing temperatures when those fingers could be doing something more important like breaking the ice on my cup of coffee? Or watch a mosquito calmly draining you of precious blood while you carefully try to position your index finger in a way to select and copy that little URL string being shown on the Photobucket page that is so tiny. Good times I grant you, but nowhere near as fun as this next trip should be!

Yup, you got it. The Taylor's are loading up the family truckster to head on out for our next WDW vacation. It's not going to be the Fort, but we will be staying at Pop Century for the 4th time and taking part in the free disney dining promotion. Sure, that offer has essentially ruined casual dining for most people and resulted in homogenized food choices across the board at most restaurants. But I figure, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Well, only with respect to free food. When you have three kids older than 10, you know why this is important.

So, the cast of characters. Many of you remember us from previous trip reports. Heck, my first venture into online discussions for WDW planning began late last century on RADP (Carol knows what I'm talking 'bout) when we tried to figure out how to manage a vacation sometime around 1997 before our second child was born! But for those of you who don't know us, let me introduce the gang:

First off is my oldest son Justin, currently age 19 and figuring out what life as an adult is all about. At least I hope so, he's certainly been through the ringer and come out swinging, so he's at least got the right attitude for it! Here's a photo of him in better times when he was making good choices and his friends parents were taking pictures to share with us:

scan0009.jpg

Yup, that's ma' Boy. Now, just in case you all thought we were some version of northern rednecks, I would like to direct your attention to the safety retrieval devices scattered around in preparation for the body retrieval (I mean rescue!). In all seriousness, that photo was taken only about 4 weeks before we discovered his cancer and I have to give credit to his incredible zest for life that helped all of us go through what happened in 4 years. Perfect example of "Life is what happens to you while you plan for the future." That is one kid who is going to show up at the Pearly Gates all worn out, broke and carrying nothing but a lot of good memories of a life lived hard.

Then there is my middle child, my only daughter who will be allowed to date when she is 30, and the apple in my eye, miss Rachel:

881178e9.jpg

This one was taken during a trip to York beach this past July. We were headed down to the shore to look for starfish in the tide pools. I figure maybe one more summer before she's looking for boys down near the tide pools. One more year to practice at the shooting range and perfect my aim, that's all I ask...

Then there is my youngest son, Matt. Great little kid who is the true animal lover in our family. All of us love animals, but I swear that this kid can speak their language. If we are in a group and I go to introduce myself to a dog or cat, those animals will go right around me to find Matt. He's got a gift and a soft heart for all things furry.

8fbca7e6.jpg

He's also my camping buddy and the reason I got into scouting. Just one hour a week. John knows what I'm talking about, that's how they get ya hooked. Just one hour a week. Oh, and can you attend the round table meeting? Oh, you have a truck? Can you bring the gear? I'm kidding of course, scouting has been the best thing that happened to both me and Matt and helped keep me from spending too many hours at work while my kids grow up. These are the days I will remember while they wheel me around the nursing home, thanks to that first year in Tiger Cubs when I showed up late and got volunteered to be the Assistant Den Leader. Now, just a few years later, this group is planning to go to DC next April because they want to participate in the Changing of the Guard ceremony at Arlington.

And then there is my beautiful partner in crime, Nancy. The one who has stood behind me for more than 22 years of marriage. Sure, she was holding up rabbit ears and making funny faces most of the time, but with me the whole time. I figure a good before and after photo is appropriate. One from our honeymoon trip and one from our 20th anniversary escape weekend that we needed to recharge our batteries. I personally think time has treated her more kindly than me. While I was turning sour like vinegar, she aged like a fine wine:

June 1989 on the Premier Cruise (part of the original land/sea package)

scan0011.jpg

November 2009 the day before we took a 3 day Disney Cruise:

PB110065.jpg

So, grab a frosty adult beverage, relax and enjoy the show! I hope to be updating this from WDW on Wednesday evening either from O'Hana (in honor of Dave, I hope to get plenty of food prawn shots and O'Hana), or at the MK fireworks that evening.

RubyRelaxer.jpg

By the way - that pitcher is full of Ruby Relaxer, a very tasty concoction.

And what kind of Fiend would I be if I did not provide this?

Ruby Relaxer

.75 Sky Vodka

.75 Malibu Rum

.75 Peachtree Schnapps

2 oz cranberry juice

2 oz pineapple juice

splash grenadine

Carol isn't the only one here from RADP ... I'm "Not "THAT" Ed" and you should know about that.

Oh, you are "Not "That" Ed"!!

Here's a quote from back in November 2003 just before our first trip to the fort! Proof that nothing ever goes away on the internet!

Twas the night before disney, and all through the house

all the creatures were stirring, screaming "Where is the mouse?"

The bags were all stuffed in the minivan without care,

When methinks "Will we really need all that there?"

The kids were all duct taped tight to their beds,

while visions of It's a small world dance in their heads.

And momma in her hot-tub, shot-o-whiskey in hand,

and I at my chair reading notes from RADP-land.

When up pops a message ‘bout kids missing from school.

I skip over that thread for the one about pee in the pool.

From there to the messages of Disney Cruise Ships

and where to get those frosty Dole Whips.

Our rooms are reserved with the AP rate code

we'll soon be calling POR our humble abode.

The stress of hard work starts to melt away quick

with each passing minute and countdown clock tic.

Only 19 more hours before we arrive

Let's hope Tiffany Town Car get's us there alive!

All I could come up with at the last minute, thanks to all who helped

us with our decisions and we'll be back in a few days to write a trip

report!

Dan and Nan

Holy cow, I'm first! :banana:

What a beautiful family! I can't wait to hear all about it!!!!

Why thank you - the kids get their good looks from the mom. I can't wait to start this trip and the trip report - less than 24 hrs to go now, just printed boarding passes.

Beautiful family. This is going to be a good one :banana:

And yes you are a true Fiend, thanks for the recipe RubyRelaxer.jpg

I hope to share a few more recipes if I get them during the trip. Somewhere around this house we have the recipe for the Flame Tree BBQ rub, the flank steak marinade from Boma, and a few others...

I am in! Really excited for a "trip" to POP.

I have a special place in my heart for Pop as well as the Fort. First time we went was using Amex membership rewards points after building our house (just Nancy and I). We booked a return trip with two other families less than a year later and got about 40% off the package price for the whole group due to a managers special. And this included Free Dining that was not supposed to be allowed with any other discounts, but I wasn't complaining.

Can't wait to read more!!!!!!

Me too. Maybe I should start making things up in the meantime??? I should have waited until tonight! Maybe I'll post about the last minute de-stress techniques after what should be a fun day at work.

:popcorn:

I'm in, Dan. Great start! Now you've got me all excited for a LIVE Ohhhh-HANA update!! :dance:

Oh, it's gonna be live all right. We are traveling with my brother and sister in law and their kids. She is currently in Peru visiting her family and flying overnight into Orlando, arriving at 8:00am tomorrow with a 6 year old who should be good and tired at dinner ;-)

Dan, your family is gorgeous! Good luck keeping your daughter from dating til she's 30! haha I am excited to read more of your trip!

:popcorn:

If you ride the buses, check name tags.

Lou, I've been frantically searching for the trip reports from earlier this year where they got you in the picture at the Fort. I am terrible with names, but can usually recognize faces. I'm looking forward to meeting you at some point. I'd bring you a Kungaloosh but they probably frown on that for the drivers at work. Bus drivers are part of the show at WDW. I fondly remember the trivia games while driving, the sing-alongs. They don't seem to do that so much any more?

Woohoo! Another trip report :popcorn:

Me too. Maybe I should start making things up in the meantime??? I should have waited until tonight! Maybe I'll post about the last minute de-stress techniques after what should be a fun day at work.

And we're easy, we would probably believe everything you wrote :rofl2:

I'm looking forward to meeting you at some point.

Ditto, realistically though, it probably won't happen. Someone said that the odds are 1 in 6000 of getting a specific driver.

I'd bring you a Kungaloosh but they probably frown on that for the drivers at work.

They do frown on Kungaloosh, but beer & wine are ok.

Bus drivers are part of the show at WDW. I fondly remember the trivia games while driving, the sing-alongs. They don't seem to do that so much any more?

No we don't. Guests do like it though. I guess some drivers over did it, so it became a safety issue.

Some buses don't even have Mics anymore. Most bus Mics are disabled because of the computerized dispatch/spiel system, but the main reason is that using a Mic while the bus is in motion is now prohibited. But every once in a while you'll get a driver that doesn't care.

I use to do it, but now I don't risk it, spies, unless I'm stopped and of course, if I have a Mic that works.

Awesome family pic's! The pic of your son just made me giggle, I fret that my oldest will be the boy jumping through the ice hole in 20 degree weather, you have to admire the zest for life.. but holy cow, it wears a parents nerves at times!!

Looking forward to more, if you figure out how to do the post from the iphone , do share!

Awesome family pic's! The pic of your son just made me giggle, I fret that my oldest will be the boy jumping through the ice hole in 20 degree weather, you have to admire the zest for life.. but holy cow, it wears a parents nerves at times!!

They need a sign that says, "Beware! Jumping into an ice hole will result in an iced hole."

Great report Dan. Looking forward to more.