A Closer Look at the Progress City Model

From the Disney Parks Blog...

A Closer Look at the Progress City Model at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on August 11th, 2011 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

If you’ve ever experienced the Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover, the view below should be pretty familiar.

pcm341388SMALL.jpg

It’s Progress City, the model community you pass while aboard the Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover at Magic Kingdom Park. I always wished the ride vehicle would slow down a bit at this part so I could really admire this glittering “community of tomorrow.” (Thanks, Gene Duncan, for taking this great shot!).

The model, which is described in the attraction as: “Walt Disney’s dream for an experimental prototype community of tomorrow,” is actually an important piece of Disney history. It originated at Disneyland park and was previously a piece of that park’s Carousel of Progress from 1967-1973. In that version of the attraction, the final holiday gathering scene offered a glimpse of Progress City off in the distance through the windows behind the Audio-Animatronics figures. Afterward, guests would head up to the carousel’s second floor, where they could explore an entire 6,900-square-foot model of the city. The Progress City you see on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover route, is a portion of that model.

When was your last visit to Progress City?

I read the same thing, Carol. Sad, since that vision was one of the things that really drove Walt during the last years of his life. We all know that the Epcot they built is nothing like Walt's dream...and I've read several times the argument that Celebration is actually more along the lines of the original EPCOT vision. But having visited Celebration, it is really nothing like what Walt wanted to build. It's just a New Urbanist community along the lines of Seaside; a vision of Duany Plater-Zyberk, not Walt.

I would have loved to have seen the Progress City model in its prime.

Check out this link, which has some fascinating information on the model, as well as a link to a video of its construction.

Progress City

Monique-

Thanks for this info.

And, Dave, thanks for that link.

Until recently, I did not know that the model on display on the Peoplemover was from Disneyland.

Then, I heard that it was a part of that model.

But, I had no idea that the original was 6900 square feet.

Wow!

I wish I could see the whole model the way it used to be.

This model is precious. It was built while Walt was alive, and shows his vision of EPCOT.

Boy, would it have been cool if Walt's vision had been built.

TCD

I fondly remember going up to the second floor and seeing what EPCOT was supposed to be. I made trips to Disneyland back in the late 60's and early 70's and still miss things from there that didn't make the transition to MK - such as the larger PotC and the Blue Bayou Restaurant right across from the loading area for PotC.

If Walt had lived longer, his brother Roy, which I hold in higher regard than Walt for getting things done, would have slapped him silly and told him that his hair brained idea for EPCOT would not happen as he envisioned it.

Walt had a lot of good ideas but he probably had just as many goof ball ones too.

As for Celebration, it may not appear to be the case to the casual visitor, but to someone that has to spend a lot of time and has many friends there, it is apparent that Eisner did incorporate the five basic concepts of Walt's EPCOT. However the transportation concept and futuristic appearance took the biggest hit

The first phase was built in a radial pattern with the town center in the middle. It does have high and low residential areas, It does have green zones. It is a place where people can live, work, & play.

To the dismay of original home owners, Disney is no longer involved with Celebration, so the original concept has been deviated from. But It was nice while it lasted.

Can you imagine what would have happened to it if Walt's EPCOT had been built. With it's basic design, Celebration is one of the most expensive places to live in the area. How much would all that futuristic stuff that Walt wanted cost to build and maintain? Can we say Monorail.

Can you imagine what would have happened to it if Walt's EPCOT had been built. With it's basic design, Celebration is one of the most expensive places to live in the area. How much would all that futuristic stuff that Walt wanted cost to build and maintain? Can we say Monorail.

Phooey!

The voice of reason is ruining my day dream!

You are right, of course.

But, it still would have been cool if the city of tomorrow had been built.

I tell my kids all the time how I expected to be living on a space station, or at least have a flying car when I grew up. They think such notions are ridiculous, and have zero interest in hearing about what EPCOT was supposed to be.

TCD

Here's my idea, I think.

Disney makes a virtual 3d version of Walts EPCOT and makes it a ride-thru attraction, complete with 3d glasses. You pick the vehicle you want to ride and where you want to go. Your choice of a car, monorail, flyover, or WEDway.

Think of how many times you could ride it before you repeated a route?

Next thing I know we will be seeing another name change. Lou..fka MagicBus, nka Imagineer

Nope, I was offered an interview for a design engineering position a few years ago in WDW Ride & Show Engineering, but I told them thanks but no thanks.

I found out what the Imagineers were doing and how they were doing it and I determined that I would not be happy there. It's not what people think it is.

Here's my idea, I think.

Disney makes a virtual 3d version of Walts EPCOT and makes it a ride-thru attraction, complete with 3d glasses. You pick the vehicle you want to ride and where you want to go. Your choice of a car, monorail, flyover, or WEDway.

Think of how many times you could ride it before you repeated a route?

That's a great idea!

Phooey!

The voice of reason is ruining my day dream!

You are right, of course.

But, it still would have been cool if the city of tomorrow had been built.

I tell my kids all the time how I expected to be living on a space station, or at least have a flying car when I grew up. They think such notions are ridiculous, and have zero interest in hearing about what EPCOT was supposed to be.

TCD

I was so disappointed when the year 2000 came and we were still driving regular cars, cooking and cleaning as normal. I just knew that we would be much more "Jetsons" and "Star Trek" like. I at least wanted Rosie and a flying car!