A Whale of a Tale: A Very Fishy TCD Trip Report!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our trip to Sea World ended with a couple of hours at the Fort.

Not a bad way to end the day.

I mentioned that I saw some things that surprised me.

Here they are.

First, I need to re-set something.

If you read my 4th of July trip report, you may remember some belly aching about the new rangers that they have working at the Fort.

My specific complaint about them is that instead of doing anything important or useful, they spent a lot of time bothering us paying customers.

I got asked, via a letter left under my windshield wiper, to move my truck because I had two tires off of the paved surface of my campsite.

Lots of other people got similar love letters from the rangers.

But some campers didn't.

So, I was very surprised to see cars parked everywhere on the 2000 loop on this Saturday evening:

100_1751.jpg

This campsite has two vehicles squeezed in, neither of which is completely on the pavement:

100_1752.jpg

100_1753.jpg

These folks also had two vehicles parked part on and part off the pavement as well as a roaring fire going in their grill:

100_1754.jpg

100_1755.jpg

I could go on, but I won't.

The bottom line is that I saw vehicles, utility trailers and golf carts parked everywhere.

Everywhere.

And, not just on the 2000 loop.

So much for the new rules and the enforcement of them.

And, now I'm even more ticked that I got bothered during my last visit.

There was a rumor reported that the rangers were going to stop folks from hanging clotheslines next.

Well, as evidenced by these happy campers on the 1500 loop, that sure hasn't happened yet:

100_1758.jpg

100_1760.jpg

100_1762.jpg

After our look around, we headed down to Trail's End for our chicken dinner.

it was great, as usual.

As we were eating, our old buddy, Joe, came by with the new trail ride wagon:

100_1764.jpg

100_1765.jpg

It's nice, but it looks too neat and clean to me.

This checkerboard on the porch is relatively new. I like the not-so-hidden mickeys on the stools:

100_1766.jpg

100_1767.jpg

As we headed back to the bus stop, a big crowd was gathered to check in for the HDDR:

100_1768.jpg

I feel sorry for the people who check in early, as they are told to do. There is no need to get there early. You have prepaid and your seat is reserved. No need to sit around for an hour outside of Pioneer Hall.

Now, here is something new which true Fiends will find interesting.

There is a new 5th wheel parked on site 734:

100_1769.jpg

100_1770.jpg

I know the owner of this beauty, whom I consider to be a friend, occasionally visits these boards, so if you are reading along, nice job!

Since this is a TCD trip report, and since I was at the Fort, we need a photo of the best site in all of the Fort, right?

Here you go. Good old 617:

100_1771.jpg

Back to the new rules on what you can and can't have at your site.

I don't own the Fort, so I have no right to tell them how to run the place, but why is this type of thing OK?:

100_1772.jpg

Well, that leaves plenty of room for parking on the pad, doesn't it?

The last thing of interest we saw at the Fort was this beautiful Class A:

100_1773.jpg

100_1774.jpg

Go Gators!

I guess that is what they call a wrap? Does anyone know anything about these? Like how much they cost? I'm not sure that I want to wrap my camper, but it does look pretty cool.

That's all I got for you this time.

But, next time is never far away.

TCD

Great report Andrew. I will be there in 14 days. I plan to park at least 2 wheels of the Miata off the pad, hang a clothes line and set up extra tents in the common area. Feel free to come and take pictures. Maybe I'll be a real rebel and request the 1400 loop and not tell them I have 6 dogs :rofl2:

Great report Andrew. I will be there in 14 days. I plan to park at least 2 wheels of the Miata off the pad, hang a clothes line and set up extra tents in the common area. Feel free to come and take pictures. Maybe I'll be a real rebel and request the 1400 loop and not tell them I have 6 dogs :rofl2:

OK- I think you are in good shape for all of the above.

Don't forget a non-regulation fire pit.

I'll be sure to stop by the 1400 loop for the photo session. Make sure you have plenty of embarrassing things on the clothesline.

TCD

OK- I think you are in good shape for all of the above.

Don't forget a non-regulation fire pit.

I'll be sure to stop by the 1400 loop for the photo session. Make sure you have plenty of embarrassing things on the clothesline.

TCD

I figured I'd just stack some firewood on my cement pad. What with parking on the grass I should have lots of room. :rofl2:

Hold on there TCD!

I thought you said you saw something that you didn't expect?

You expected rules to be enforced? :rofl2:

Ha, Ha, Good one!!

I'm sad that this report is over. But I have learned some valuable lessons:

1. TCD knows his music (I would have bet money that you didn't know the Baby Beluga song!)

2. I need to get back to Sea World. It really is a neat place that gets overshadowed by WDW

3. I can lick the ice at Wild Arctic without my tongue sticking to it.

4. Sea World lies! There are no gumdrops in those dispensers.

5. Penguin meat is oily (thanks Ed)

6. If the need arises to hang a baby, Sea World is the place to be.

7. TCD cheats at games

And finally.....

8. Don't spend $3.00 on the family dryers or wear sweat inducing ponchos. I've had it right all along....GO COMMANDO!!!

I figured I'd just stack some firewood on my cement pad. What with parking on the grass I should have lots of room. :rofl2:

Good idea. And, now that I have thought about it, scratch the fire pit. Just build your campfire in the grill.

Hold on there TCD!

I thought you said you saw something that you didn't expect?

You expected rules to be enforced? :rofl2:

Ha, Ha, Good one!!

I'm sad that this report is over. But I have learned some valuable lessons:

1. TCD knows his music (I would have bet money that you didn't know the Baby Beluga song!)

2. I need to get back to Sea World. It really is a neat place that gets overshadowed by WDW

3. I can lick the ice at Wild Arctic without my tongue sticking to it.

4. Sea World lies! There are no gumdrops in those dispensers.

5. Penguin meat is oily (thanks Ed)

6. If the need arises to hang a baby, Sea World is the place to be.

7. TCD cheats at games

And finally.....

8. Don't spend $3.00 on the family dryers or wear sweat inducing ponchos. I've had it right all along....GO COMMANDO!!!

Nice job!

I give you an A+!

You remembered all of the important points.

But, your forgot #9:

9. If you ever are assigned to a site next to Doodle, ask to be moved pronto!

TCD

Good idea. And, now that I have thought about it, scratch the fire pit. Just build your campfire in the grill.

Nice job!

I give you an A+!

You remembered all of the important points.

But, your forgot #9:

9. If you ever are assigned to a site next to Doodle, ask to be moved pronto!

TCD

She won't do that, we are planning tomfoolery and shenanigans :rofl2:

No comment= yes.

Where in the world did you eat penguin?

TCD

South ... VERY far South.

Oily - did I mention they were oily? It was like they sweated fish oil! Taste - did I mention it was like fishy chicken? Consider the taste of chicken breast ... laced with anchovies. Not that that is a bad thing, mind you, but it's an eye-opener the first time around.

Holy penguin! Penguin meat tastes like chicken that tastes like fish?! Sounds delish but my grill isn't big enough for a penguin.

I am anti-baby hanging. It is too much work. Not worth the effort. Sedatives are much easier and it doesn't really matter which of you take them. ;)

It's been a very long time since I've been to Sea World. High School in fact. Our HS Marching Band performed a concert there. We were also that HS band that marches out before the Main Street parade at MK. Good times.

Your TR reminded me of how much fun Sea World is. Smaller parks definitely have their advantages.

Lastly, I don't want to sound mushy but I'm afraid I will anyway. I love seeing dads spend quality time with their daughters. Not enough dads do that you know. When girls have a great relationship with their dad they tend to hold prospective boyfriends/husbands to a much higher standard. That is my favorite aspect of all your TR's. Great job.

Great Report! When I was at SeaWorld the simulator thing you spoke of had a Polar Express Holiday overlay. I kindof enjoyed that. Sounds like the regular exhibit is a bit old in the tooth. I also REALLY enjoyed the "Believe" Shamu show. Of course that was before the unfortunate trainer accident. I'm guessing it is scaled way back now :-(

OK. Cool. I'm caught up and it was very interesting read as usual.

One addition to the beer at SW discussion. I am working from memory, which gets fuzzier every year, but I seem to recall a "Beer School." at SW. Its probably been a dozen years, but i remember it was inside a beautiful air conditioned theater with dif't beer samples perched on the desk in front of each participant. They explained how dif't incredients and variations to process changed flavor. They you were directed to taste the appropriate sample. I received honors upon graduation from that school. :rofl2:

Sounds like it no longer exists. It's too bad that inBev had to spoil everything.

I just saw this report! I enjoyed reading through your TR and seeing the TCD twins again. It is so cool that they were able to volunteer in a cool place like that! I will be sure to watch the movie, although it will probably be when it comes on TV as I am not a big movie goer. I went to Sea World before there were coasters and such. It was a long time ago! My son and I both get free tickets at some point in the year for being teachers. We are gonna go sometime soon.

My BFF's son worked there when it was owned by Busch. He had serious training in beer and was certified in "some fancy beer title" I'm not sure exactly what he did there, but I know that he was trained to pair the right beer with different food. They give there employee's excellent perks. At some point he transferred to Busch Gardens. He is now back at Sea World and I am hoping he will get me some cheap tickets to Discovery Cove, it looks like an awesome time!

South ... VERY far South.

Oily - did I mention they were oily? It was like they sweated fish oil! Taste - did I mention it was like fishy chicken? Consider the taste of chicken breast ... laced with anchovies. Not that that is a bad thing, mind you, but it's an eye-opener the first time around.

Hmmm.

You make penguin sound delicious!

Fishy chicken?

Yum!

Holy penguin! Penguin meat tastes like chicken that tastes like fish?! Sounds delish but my grill isn't big enough for a penguin.

I am anti-baby hanging. It is too much work. Not worth the effort. Sedatives are much easier and it doesn't really matter which of you take them. ;)

It's been a very long time since I've been to Sea World. High School in fact. Our HS Marching Band performed a concert there. We were also that HS band that marches out before the Main Street parade at MK. Good times.

Your TR reminded me of how much fun Sea World is. Smaller parks definitely have their advantages.

Lastly, I don't want to sound mushy but I'm afraid I will anyway. I love seeing dads spend quality time with their daughters. Not enough dads do that you know. When girls have a great relationship with their dad they tend to hold prospective boyfriends/husbands to a much higher standard. That is my favorite aspect of all your TR's. Great job.

Thanks, KFK.

I hope you are right about my DD's boyfriends/husbands.

It seems like we will have to wait a while to test your theory, since I have implemented the no dating until you are married rule.

Just saw your report. I talked to a guy a year ago and he had his company truck wrapped he said it was $3500.00 it was a 4 door chevy shortbed. At that price that class A had to be $$$$

Wow!

You are right, they must have spent more than that motorhome was worth on the wrap. It looked good, but if a pick-up cost $3500, then the price on a motorhome must be near $10K. No wonder I haven't seen more of this.

Great Report! When I was at SeaWorld the simulator thing you spoke of had a Polar Express Holiday overlay. I kindof enjoyed that. Sounds like the regular exhibit is a bit old in the tooth. I also REALLY enjoyed the "Believe" Shamu show. Of course that was before the unfortunate trainer accident. I'm guessing it is scaled way back now :-(

I never heard of the Polar Express Overlay. I have never been to Sea World around the Christmas time. This year we probably will be, as our tickets allow us admission for the rest of the year. They mention some Halloween parties and other holiday attractions on some of the literature I received when we bought our passes. The nice thing about Sea World is that these special activities are included with the price of admission- so we will need to check those out.

The new Shamu show is definitely scaled back. There is no interaction in the water between the trainers and the whales. All it is now is a bunch of jumps and then the old whale splashing the audience bit. Maybe it is time to let the whales go.

OK. Cool. I'm caught up and it was very interesting read as usual.

One addition to the beer at SW discussion. I am working from memory, which gets fuzzier every year, but I seem to recall a "Beer School." at SW. Its probably been a dozen years, but i remember it was inside a beautiful air conditioned theater with dif't beer samples perched on the desk in front of each participant. They explained how dif't incredients and variations to process changed flavor. They you were directed to taste the appropriate sample. I received honors upon graduation from that school. :rofl2:

Sounds like it no longer exists. It's too bad that inBev had to spoil everything.

I remember that beer school, and the pavilion where they used to host it. That pavilion is where you used to go for the free beer samples. It is still on the map, but I think it's just a restaurant now. Since they aren't passing out beer there anymore, we didn't make it back there. The free beer sure was great while it lasted!

I just saw this report! I enjoyed reading through your TR and seeing the TCD twins again. It is so cool that they were able to volunteer in a cool place like that! I will be sure to watch the movie, although it will probably be when it comes on TV as I am not a big movie goer. I went to Sea World before there were coasters and such. It was a long time ago! My son and I both get free tickets at some point in the year for being teachers. We are gonna go sometime soon.

My BFF's son worked there when it was owned by Busch. He had serious training in beer and was certified in "some fancy beer title" I'm not sure exactly what he did there, but I know that he was trained to pair the right beer with different food. They give there employee's excellent perks. At some point he transferred to Busch Gardens. He is now back at Sea World and I am hoping he will get me some cheap tickets to Discovery Cove, it looks like an awesome time!

Sea World still advertises free admission for teachers (and military too). You should definitely go.

We love Discovery Cove. It is an expensive day, so we have only been twice. The Florida Resident rates are a significant savings, so look for those. It's still expensive, but it is really nice, and I think it is well worth the price.

TCD

WTF?

When did I get tagged?

And, what does this tag have to do with me?

I had to go and do a search to find that this is a paraphrase of a comment that I made about Urban Meyer in the Official 2011 College Football Discussion Thread. That is a pretty obscure thread. Who the heck is the tag fairy?

TCD I gave you your tag. It seemed fitting given how many times I've watched from above as you & Yury were sneaking into River Country. You caused quit a ruckus with your little journeys. Did you ever get the beer I left at your site? It was a thank you for the hammock you set up. It was so comfortable I almost didn't wake up before you got out in the morning.

You did a great job with this trip report by the way.