I've been crunching the numbers for park tickets vs AP's. Since we will probably spend at least 15 days at the Fort in the next calendar year (starting at Thanksgiving) I think AP's will be the best option. Plus the added discounts on food and maybe lodging only sweeten the deal.

Where/how is the best purchase option?

Is the pass a hard card like a KTTW card?

Any other perks that I need to know about? I really the idea of going where ever we want whenever we want.

I've been crunching the numbers for park tickets vs AP's. Since we will probably spend at least 15 days at the Fort in the next calendar year (starting at Thanksgiving) I think AP's will be the best option. Plus the added discounts on food and maybe lodging only sweeten the deal.

Where/how is the best purchase option?

Is the pass a hard card like a KTTW card?

Any other perks that I need to know about? I really the idea of going where ever we want whenever we want.

Unless you have some discount on the APs through other means, here is the best way to get a discount on your APs.

Step 1 - Go to Mousesavers.com and sign up for their monthly newsletter.

Step 2 - When the newsletter shows up on the 15th of the month, go to the special ticket link on Undercover Tourist. At that link, you will find the best discount on regular multi-day tickets.

Step 3 - Purchase the most expensive multi-day ticket that is LESS money than the level of Annual Pass you are buying, either regular or premium.

Step 4 - Use those tickets you purchased to enter a park.

Step 5 - After you have entered the park, on your way out that day, go to the ticket window at the park and UPGRADE those tickets to an annual pass. (The ticket windows outside the park are the best at that, NOT Guest Relations inside the park).

Now here is the secret, you will only pay the difference between the CURRENT gate value of the ticket and the price of an AP, so you keep the discount!!!

A premium annual pass includes admission to the Water Parks, Disney Quest, and includes admission to Oak Trails Golf Course (a nine hole walking course), in addition to the 4 major parks.

A regular annual pass only provides admission to the 4 major parks.

If you are a big shopper, the Premium AP provides a 20% discount on merchandise at many locations around WDW, and the regular AP provides a 10% discount on merchandise at many locations around WDW.

When we bought APs a couple years ago we found good pricing through AAA South, which services Florida, Georgia, and parts of TN. Their discounts are $20 for APs and $25 for premium APs for non-FL residents.

No, the AP is not a hard card, but surprisingly is just a paper card. However, they will replace it at customer service if it gets torn or lost.

When we bought APs a couple years ago we found good pricing through AAA South, which services Florida, Georgia, and parts of TN. Their discounts are $20 for APs and $25 for premium APs for non-FL residents.

This is where we got our APs last year.

You have to go to the Orlando office to pick them up the voucher....they will not mail or email them.

We live in AAA South's territory, and got them right at our local office. We are members there....are you AAA members in SC or do they sell tickets to non-members at the Orlando office?

We are members in SC and our local offices sell everything BUT annual passes. The orlando office just asked to see our card and sold us the APs at the discounted price...that was last November so things may have changed since....you need to call and ask.

Unless you have some discount on the APs through other means, here is the best way to get a discount on your APs.

Step 1 - Go to Mousesavers.com and sign up for their monthly newsletter.

Step 2 - When the newsletter shows up on the 15th of the month, go to the special ticket link on Undercover Tourist. At that link, you will find the best discount on regular multi-day tickets.

Step 3 - Purchase the most expensive multi-day ticket that is LESS money than the level of Annual Pass you are buying, either regular or premium.

Step 4 - Use those tickets you purchased to enter a park.

Step 5 - After you have entered the park, on your way out that day, go to the ticket window at the park and UPGRADE those tickets to an annual pass. (The ticket windows outside the park are the best at that, NOT Guest Relations inside the park).

Now here is the secret, you will only pay the difference between the CURRENT gate value of the ticket and the price of an AP, so you keep the discount!!!

You are a genius, I wonder if that works with tickets from MWR?

You are a genius, I wonder if that works with tickets from MWR?

Nah, I just learned it from elsewhere. No need with military tickets. If you want a good deal on an AP, go to Shades of Green and just pay for it. Their discount is MUCH better than this method.

Shades of Green adult regular AP 509.00 , premium AP, 637.00

The most expensive multi-day ticket INCLUDING tax? or not?

Thanks for the tip!!

Can this be done as well with a free ticket? My dh will run the Jan Marathon and gets a free ticket for use on Monday after the race. Can he then take that ticket unused (or should he enter park with it) and go to the ticket window to get a FL resident week day pass for 2012? Will they give him the value of the ticket from the daily price?

We did this I think, with the free tickets that Disney gave out a couple of years ago for community service and birthdays.

Depends on the ticket. If it's a REGULAR, one-day ticket that hasn't been used or expired, you should be able to upgrade it and be credited face value.

However if it's any sort of special promotional ticket, you may not be able to.

Example - 2 years ago they did the Give a Day Get a Day promo, but what you got was a regular, 1 day base ticket. We upgraded ours to an AP and got credited the value of a 1 day ticket at that time.