DaveInTN's Grin-n-Bear It, On-The-Loose Fall Weekend Trip Report NOW COMPLETE

We don't want it to conflict with SMGG12. What about Labor Day?

Labor Day is still kinda hot. Do you think that might work?

Could you do end of Sept or early Oct??

Our problem is we will have 2 kiddos in the band and every Friday night from around Aug 24th to Nov 5th we have Friday night games. Mid Oct to Nov 6th we will have band comps 3 out of 4 weekends. We will have a football bye week sometime in Sep/Oct but we won't know when until late in the summer when our schedule is finalized.

We are wide open during the spring (MLK or Pres Day) and most of the summer (July4).

This just may not work for us :gaah:

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just booked our annual trip to the smoky's for 4th of July week 2012. We always have to book our trips way in advance due to work and kids school schedule. I know most of you are at the fort that week

What? ??? You're throwing in the towel already? This isn't over. Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

I'm not quitting yet. No way - No how. Although I did check and see that Jellystone is closed from Nov 28 to March 11.

Well....Excuse me. ^_^ Why do you think I am not at Fort next weekend (well that and money and 8 hours drive each way but I digress)? :rofl2:

That sounds exactly like my reasons for not being there next week! :rofl2: That darn money and 8 hour drive will get ya everytime.

What? ??? You're throwing in the towel already? This isn't over. Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

What? The GERMANS bombed Pearl Harbor? I could have sworn it was the Japanese! Darn SC school system. :rofl2:

What? The GERMANS bombed Pearl Harbor? I could have sworn it was the Japanese! Darn SC school system. :rofl2:

Whats Pearl Harbor? We never got past the civil war................

Darn SC school system......

Hey Dave-

So sorry, I am way behind with my comments.

I love the Slide of Death photos.

And the bonus installment!

I see Yogi really was on the loose.

That campground looks fun!

I would even dare say that they may have more activities than the Fort!

You have a beautiful family, and it truly warms my heart to see all of the love that you and the girls have for Anna.

I will not address any of the corn comments.

TCD

A lot of people haven't gotten past the civil war. :rofl2:

The SC curriculum must vary from county to county. ;D

And the South shall rise again! :rofl2:

At least that's what Hank Williams Jr. keeps singing... :rofl2:

Yup.

And in the Charleston area, there are some people that havn't heard the war ended and the south lost.

We lost!? What the Fort? I knew it was over but I thought the South won! Oh that was the Ostrich race at the Dixie Stampede... nevermind. ::)

You Can Fry Anything (But Don't Forget The Camera)

Ok, I'm not exactly sure where I am now, but I figure either way I can fake it and you'll never know. :rofl2: But if memory serves me correctly, we have made it to Monday morning. We were kinda flying by the seat of our pants on this trip, but one thing we had never done at Gatlinburg was go to the Ripley's aquarium. So we figured we would hit that today, and walk around town to check out the shops.

So, after another breakfast of some sort of smoked piggy and eggs, as well as some more leisurely time sitting along the creek and enjoying our coffee, we loaded back into the Fun Bus and drove the 20 minutes into Gatlinburg. I planned on parking in the ramp next to the aquarium and walking around from there, but the overhead clearance of the parking ramp wasn't enough to accomodate us. How do I know this? Fortunately, they had one of those PVC pipes suspended before you got into the ramp itself. And yes, I whacked it! 8)

So anyways, we drove further down the street and parked where we have parked previously when we've visited town...at the Christ museum (not sure what it's really called) across the creek from the ski lift. We walked around and checked out some of the candy shops. At one shop, we got a pound of assorted taffy.

2011-10-19%252020.15.05.jpg

2011-10-19%252020.15.40.jpg

That shop is cool because you can watch them making the candy in the front window. We also got a few pieces of their sugar free turtles to try. Not bad! And one caramel apple for my DD5.

We enjoyed the fall decorations along the street.

P1020236.JPG

P1020237.JPG

Couldn't quite get Anna to cooperate for that picture. ::)

Then the ladies enjoyed the rockers while gazing at the beautiful mountains in the distance....totally random and unplanned. :clint:

P1020240.JPG

Then we saw a shop that advertised fried twinkies, oreos, snickers...and any number of other things. They said that they can fry nearly anything...even Coca Cola! :waycool: Don't ask me how they do that. I can only assume they freeze it and do a quick batter and fry. In any case, we are pretty traditional with our fried crap, so we ordered a fried twinkie and some fried oreos.

After they came out of the fryer and were properly dusted with powdered sugar, we found a nice bench outside to enjoy them. My DD15 enjoyed the oreos herself, as each girl was able to pick one thing they wanted and that was hers (although she shared bites). And the twinkie was shared by the other 6 of us...about a bit each. And man was it good! And just after the last bite was devoured, DW said to me "do you think we should have taken a picture?"

Doh!! :facepalm:

What in the world do I own a camera for, anyways??

Like I said earlier, this was a practice run for the real deal...our upcoming Fort trip.

But, in case you are wondering what it looked like, I found a picture online that actually may be from the same shop in Gatlinburg.

twinkies.png

Yes, they were as good as they look!

And with that...that brings us to our visit to the aquarium: Coming up soon!

I'm Hungry For Fish

We arrived at the Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies and there wasn't much of a line at the ticket booths. I think we either beat the crowds or they were all eating lunch at this point.

It is a nice looking place when walking up to it.

P1020179.JPG

And like everything in Gatlinburg this time of year, is decorated nicely outside.

We needed another picture of Anna looking the wrong way before entering the aquarium.

P1020180.JPG

We've been to some nice aquariums in the past, and this one ranks up there in my opinion. The signs describing the fish in each tank were descriptive but not too scientific. And the tanks were all lit beautifully to show off the creatures.

P1020185.JPG

P1020190.JPG

And no, I'm not referring to my daughters as creatures. I'm talking about the fish!

P1020191.JPG

One of the main features of this aquarium is the long tunnel you move through to view the sharks and other large fish. This was really cool. The aquarium's website describes it this way:

"Filled with thousands of fish of every shape and size, this is our largest and most popular exhibit.

Leisurely travel on a moving 340-foot long glidepath, as you wind your way through the acrylic tunnel and come face to face with snappers, tarpons, grunts, squirrelfish, a green sea turtle, giant stingrays, sawfish and…very large SHARKS!

You and your family will marvel at the clarity of the water and the totally immersive environment. You will feel as if you were exploring the deep oceans and could almost touch the amazing sea life! The Ultimate Underwater Experience without getting wet!"

We really loved this feature, and got up close with a lot of big sharks.

P1020197.JPG

Check out these frightening beasts.

P1020198.JPG

Don't I look like an idiot?

P1020202.JPG

The ladies look better.

P1020203.JPG

P1020204.JPG

DD5 found Nemo!

P1020205.JPG

P1020207.JPG

I love the jellies. They are so graceful to watch move, and again the aquarium did a nice job lighting the tank to highlight them.

P1020209.JPG

P1020212.JPG

There is a penguin habitat.

P1020216.JPG

P1020218.JPG

P1020221.JPG

P1020225.JPG

P1020228.JPG

P1020234.JPG

We all enjoyed the aquarium, but no one more than DD14. She is a fish fanatic, and has a big aquarium at home too. She LOVED it!

P1020233.JPG

And with that, we finished up our visit and left the aquarium. And the exit was through a......wait for it..........a GIFT SHOP! How very unpredictable.

We loaded back into the Fun Bus and headed back toward camp to rest up for our awesome, fun filled, downright Fiendish evening we had planned. But first, there was a little surprise in store for us! Coming up.......MULTIPLE BEAR SIGHTINGS!!!!

I'm not quitting yet. No way - No how. Although I did check and see that Jellystone is closed from Nov 28 to March 11.

Well that's a good thing. Too dang cold to camp then anyways! But come March 12th, I'm game.

Did they not let you watch Animal House in SC? :rofl:

And the South shall rise again! :rofl2:

Yeehaw!

Is that the same as the "War of Northern Aggression"?

That's what I hear around these parts.

Yup.

And in the Charleston area, there are some people that havn't heard the war ended and the south lost.

The south's victory just took 120 years to take effect. They eventually just pulled all of us Yankees down here.

Hey Dave-

So sorry, I am way behind with my comments.

I love the Slide of Death photos.

And the bonus installment!

I see Yogi really was on the loose.

That campground looks fun!

I would even dare say that they may have more activities than the Fort!

You have a beautiful family, and it truly warms my heart to see all of the love that you and the girls have for Anna.

I will not address any of the corn comments.

TCD

Thanks for the comments Andrew. And thank you for not commenting on the corn comments. Some things are just better left unsaid.

A lot of people haven't gotten past the civil war. :rofl2:

The SC curriculum must vary from county to county. ;D

At least that's what Hank Williams Jr. keeps singing... :rofl2:

We lost!? What the Fort? I knew it was over but I thought the South won! Oh that was the Ostrich race at the Dixie Stampede... nevermind. ::)

Darn it Kim! We haven't been to the Dixie Stampede yet. And now you've gone and blown the surprise. :popo:

Sorry Kate.. but I ain't buying that. Where are you hiding 2 or 3 extra pounds let alone 5 or 10? ;D

My big head? ??? (Actually, I went a little crazy on the s'mores and other camping foods over the summer! Whoops.)

P1020237.JPG

Love this picture!

twinkies.png

Now, those are low-carb, right? I think I need to ditch WW and switch to your plan.

We've been to some nice aquariums in the past, and this one ranks up there in my opinion. The signs describing the fish in each tank were descriptive but not too scientific. And the tanks were all lit beautifully to show off the creatures.

We went to the Ripley's in Myrtle Beach, and if it's like that one, I agree -- it was amazing. I loved that shark (lol, just mistyped that as "snark") tunnel.

Have you been to the aquarium in Atlanta? Holy wow, that one's incredible, too.

Now, those are low-carb, right? I think I need to ditch WW and switch to your plan.

Uh...no. I wondered how long it would take for someone to notice that. But I only had one bite! O:-)

We went to the Ripley's in Myrtle Beach, and if it's like that one, I agree -- it was amazing. I loved that shark (lol, just mistyped that as "snark") tunnel.

Have you been to the aquarium in Atlanta? Holy wow, that one's incredible, too.

That one is on our list. We've been to the one in Chattanooga twice, which is very nice. Planned on hitting the Georgia one during a weekend trip to Atlanta last year but ended up spending too much time in Ikea. Not that you can ever spend too much time in Ikea, I guess.

Don't I look like an idiot?

P1020202.JPG

Yes.

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: We Interupt This Trip Report For A Brief Celebration! :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

We leave for the Fort 3 weeks from today!!!! :partyline:

That is all. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Woo Hoo!

That is hard to believe!

You had better hurry along with this report. You've got some packing to do!

TCD

Great report Dave!

I am way behind on my reading, but am trying to get caught up.

Just a couple of comments:

-Jellystone looks awesome. We have that campground bookmarked and have come close to booking over the past year, but the dates just haven't worked out.

-I love the slide photos! That looks like something easy enough to make for a backyard :)

-Our kids love the aquarium, and nice job capturing all the mandatory shots while visiting. Your jellyfish photos are much better than the ones I got a few years back. I can hardly make out what I was shooting. Nice job!

Glad to finally have caught up on your report, it is a great read!

Wait one minute, you gave up beer for this??? Is the lack of alcohol making you hormonal??? I think you need to surrender your man card until you gain your senses back!

My sweet tooth can overpower any other senses.

But only one bite! And I'll be making up on my beer consumption starting in 21 days.

You had better hurry along with this report. You've got some packing to do!

TCD

I had better hurry the report along due to the onslaught of Fiend Halloween reports that has already begun!

Great report Dave!

I am way behind on my reading, but am trying to get caught up.

Just a couple of comments:

-Jellystone looks awesome. We have that campground bookmarked and have come close to booking over the past year, but the dates just haven't worked out.

-I love the slide photos! That looks like something easy enough to make for a backyard :)

-Our kids love the aquarium, and nice job capturing all the mandatory shots while visiting. Your jellyfish photos are much better than the ones I got a few years back. I can hardly make out what I was shooting. Nice job!

Glad to finally have caught up on your report, it is a great read!

Thanks Tom! One or two more updates and this one is done.

Multiple Bear Sightings

This trip report is quickly coming to an end...as we are nearing the end of our weekend. But I have this very short update to post, and then one more to wrap it up.

You may remember our encounter with Yogi, when he was on the loose in the campground terrorizing visiting children. He came by our campsite and said hello to Anna. And thankfully he left quickly. He is a bear afterall, and they can be dangerous.

But as exciting as meeting Yogi was, that wasn't the most exciting bear encounter we had this weekend.

On our way back to camp from the Aquarium, we were driving along US321, which as you head east out of Gatlinburg is a 4 lane roadway. And all of a sudden we came upon this guy.

P1020241.JPG

The poor guy was trying to cross the road to get back into the national park, which borders 321 in this particular spot. All the traffic stopped to allow him safe crossing. We lost track of the guy, but assume he made it across safely.

When we got back to camp, it was early afternoon. We snacked on some leftovers for lunch, and then took a walk around the campground to get some more pictures and enjoy the surroundings.

P1020150.JPG

P1020151.JPG

P1020152.JPG

P1020153.JPG

P1020154.JPG

P1020158.JPG

P1020159.JPG

P1020162.JPG

P1020132.JPG

P1020137.JPG

That afternoon the campground was offering free mini golf as an activity. We of course had to partake in that! My five year old had never played before, as she's always been too young. And she won! It wasn't a "Dad fudged the scorecard and let her win" win. She won fair and square. Good for her! But not so good for her sisters.

And with that, our afternoon was nearly over. But we had the evening to look forward to. A Fiendish evening!

Did they not let you watch Animal House in SC? :rofl:

Darn it Kim! We haven't been to the Dixie Stampede yet. And now you've gone and blown the surprise. :popo:

I have never seen Animal House... in SC or any other state. What a sheltered life I've lived. ;D

Sorry about the Dixie Stampede spoiler. But don't fret.... the winner isn't rigged. It could go either way and there are a lot more contests and such than the ostrich race. :D

My big head? ??? (Actually, I went a little crazy on the s'mores and other camping foods over the summer! Whoops.)

Still not buying it Lil Missy. :clint:

Dave, I love this last update. There are too many heart melting pics to choose a favorite so I won't try! You're family is so special and we are looking forward to seeing ya'll again very soon. :)

It is very cool that your DD loves aquariums. Gabe LOVES aquariums too and we are considering getting one for him.. Thinking of taking him to the GA Aquarium while we are at Stone Mt. 2012. Of course we may never get him out. It is not an easy task to get him out of The Seas at Epcot either. :D

You're family is so special and we are looking forward to seeing ya'll again very soon. :)

Ditto! Right back atcha!!!

It is very cool that your DD loves aquariums. Gabe LOVES aquariums too and we are considering getting one for him.. Thinking of taking him to the GA Aquarium while we are at Stone Mt. 2012. Of course we may never get him out. It is not an easy task to get him out of The Seas at Epcot either. :D

Hey...that's a GREAT idea! How about a field trip to the aquarium. Fiends and Fishies 2012! Those poor aquarium folks will never see it coming.

We are fishy folks too, we love the TN aquarium and the Ripley's! We have plans to go to the Ga one next time we are in Athens! Count us in on the TN GG, we would love it!

Dave, the pics of your family are awesome, you really are the MAN!!!!