DaveInTN's Grin-n-Bear It, On-The-Loose Fall Weekend Trip Report NOW COMPLETE

It is very cool that your DD loves aquariums. Gabe LOVES aquariums too and we are considering getting one for him.. Thinking of taking him to the GA Aquarium while we are at Stone Mt. 2012. Of course we may never get him out. It is not an easy task to get him out of The Seas at Epcot either. :D

Have yall thought about attending the Charleston aquarium with the boyscouts in Jan?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto! Right back atcha!!!

Hey...that's a GREAT idea! How about a field trip to the aquarium. Fiends and Fishies 2012! Those poor aquarium folks will never see it coming.

:heartsmiley: A fiend trip to the Aquarium would be Aquamagical! We were kicking ourselves for not going this year. Gabe is truly at peace watching the fishies. I've been told that the GA aquarium has a sign posted: NO FISHING POLES ALLOWED. You know what that means...

Some idiot showed up with a fishing pole before. :rofl2:

Have yall thought about attending the Charleston aquarium with the boyscouts in Jan?

I did think of that but sadly that trip has been postponed until NEXT November! Booooo!!!! Apparently the Yorktown overbooked the weekend we were going and we had to reschedule. :(

I've been told that the GA aquarium has a sign posted: NO FISHING POLES ALLOWED. You know what that means...

Some idiot showed up with a fishing pole before. :rofl2:

I did think of that but sadly that trip has been postponed until NEXT November! Booooo!!!! Apparently the Yorktown overbooked the weekend we were going and we had to reschedule. :(

Boo to the Yorktown!

True Story:

I worked at Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia while in high school. When one of the workers was fired, he ordered and was served a raw hamburger on his way out the door. He was later seen to be feeding the piranha in the ARC (Amphibian Reptile Complex). Needless to say, the memo shortly follwed that all hamburger were to be cooked well done from then on.

So yea idiots abound.

Boo to the Yorktown!

True Story:

I worked at Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia while in high school. When one of the workers was fired, he ordered and was served a raw hamburger on his way out the door. He was later seen to be feeding the piranha in the ARC (Amphibian Reptile Complex). Needless to say, the memo shortly follwed that all hamburger were to be cooked well done from then on.

So yea idiots abound.

THAT IS... crazy.gif

As a veteren of 3 scout trips to the Yorktown and 1 to the Alabama, I am sure you will appreciate the exta sleep :whew:. All kidding aside, they are some of the best trips we made in scouts.

Wow, I won't even try to reply to today's string of comments. Once your trip report has been hijacked by a story about hamburger eating piranhas, it's time to quit.

But, I won't quit until I've posted one more update. Should be coming up in a bit.

A bit has passed it's almost a half hour. Get a move on.

Love Me Some Fiends

Well, we've reached the last update to this trip report. I only have to tell you about our Monday evening, and then this report is complete and I can begin focusing on my upcoming trip to the Fort. But, this is probably the best, most awesome update of the whole report, because it includes a mini-GG of Fiends!! :dance:

Around 4pm, we headed back into town to walk around a bit more, and to meet some good friends, and fiends, for dinner.

Our dinner plans were for around 6:00, so we parked the Fun Bus near the restaurant and walked to a little park that sat along yet another of Gatlinburg's mountain streams.

P1020244.JPG

We thought it was a pretty location to try to get a picture of the 5 girls for use in our Christmas card.

Easier said than done.

P1020247.JPG

That didn't turn out so well. DD5 was not in the mood. She would rather have been allowed to stay here...

P1020246.JPG

See, she looks happy there. Let's try this again.

P1020250.JPG

Still no dice. But Anna sure thinks the antics I am going through off to the side to get her to smile are hilarious. Once more...

P1020249.JPG

That was better. Now how about we try a shot sitting on that log over there...

P1020254.JPG

Why is it always the youngest ones that mess up the photos?

P1020252.JPG

Getting better.

P1020253.JPG

That'll have to do. Let's move on now.

By now it was time to head to the restaurant to get our table, and wait for our Fiends. We were dining at the Smoky Mountain Brewery. We really enjoyed this restaurant. Good service, good food, good ambience...and FIENDS!

We met liv luvs disney and her wonderful family!

First, some pood forn.

I had some grilled chicken, with broccoli and a side salad.

P1020255.JPG

It's Not Cindy has the Big Salad.

P1020256.JPG

We both enjoyed our dinners very much. But Lance's burger looked better. ::)

Here are the kids together.

P1020257.JPG

And here are all of us.

P1020259.JPG

We had an AWESOME visit with Olivia and Lance and their kids. We talk like we've known each other forever, like old friends that don't skip a beat. Our visit was over way too quickly, but it was absolutely the highlight of our trip. We appreciated so much that they took their Monday evening away from home and drove nearly an hour to meet us out.

I love me some Fiends!!!! :heart:

After dinner we walked around just a bit more to walk off the meal, and got some more of your standard Gatlinburg pics. No trip to Gatlinburg is complete without gettings pictures in the giant chair.

P1020261.JPG

Or in front of the miniature Herbie.

P1020264.JPG

Somebody looks tired!

P1020263.JPG

P1020266.JPG

And that's about it. We went back to the campground and slept like Fiends. And in the morning, we had one last campfire while enjoying our coffee....

P1020268.JPG

And we headed for home.

And that's that. Thanks for reading along. Until the next trip....

.....Ohhhh-HANA!!!!!!!!

Great trip report Dave! That looks like a fantastic CG.

Funny, I grew up about 3 or so hours from Gatlinburg. My parents used to insist we force us to go there for summer vacation and I HATED it. I always wanted to go to Myrtle Beach or somewhere like that. Seeing your photos makes me wish I were there enjoying the great weather and scenery. Guess our tastes change as we get older.

Great trip report Dave! That looks like a fantastic CG.

Funny, I grew up about 3 or so hours from Gatlinburg. My parents used to insist we force us to go there for summer vacation and I HATED it. I always wanted to go to Myrtle Beach or somewhere like that. Seeing your photos makes me wish I were there enjoying the great weather and scenery. Guess our tastes change as we get older.

Thanks Brent!

We certainly do change as we get older. Although I loved Disney World as a kid, and I still love it today. So at least there's one constant in my life.

Nice report. Well done it looks like y'all had a lot of fun. I think we need to head up that way.

Well you better get a move on. The leaves won't stay purdy for long!

BRAVO!

Great job, Dave.

You have not lost your touch at all.

I love the Christmas card photos!

Back in the days before digital cameras, we would sometimes go through a couple of rolls of film hoping that one shot would come out good. The interesting thing is that when you look back at the photos you thought were bad, the years somehow have a way of making them good. So be sure to keep all of those Christmas card photos- even the current rejects.

I'll bet you are bursting with excitement about your return to the Fort. I know that you will have a great and memorable trip. And, hopefully I will be there to say hello again in person.

TCD

Well done!

I totally get where you are coming from in regards to trying to get the perfect photo for cards. We only have 3 and every year we take about 100 pictures and end up picking the best of the worst lol. I can't imagine what you go through with your family :)

I think your warm up report is awesome and can't wait for your Fort report next month!

As a veteren of 3 scout trips to the Yorktown and 1 to the Alabama, I am sure you will appreciate the exta sleep :whew:. All kidding aside, they are some of the best trips we made in scouts.

Actually they are very strict at the Yorktown about male and female quarters being completely separate. No exceptions. So as much as I would love to stay with Lil H and all of the other perfectly behaved little boys...it is expressly forbidden. I guess I will have to just grin and bear it. ;D It's been rescheduled for next year but I'm still looking forward to it.

Kim started it! I think.

Don't blame me. It's still Dave's fault. He started this thread knowing something like this could happen. ;D

Sheesh! It's done already. Darn it, Kim!!!

I put a spell on you..... :rofl2:

I hate to see this TR end! But on the bright side there is another one just around the corner.

I'm so glad you got to spend some time with Liv and her family. I have yet to meet them in person and am looking forward to it very much.

[We had an AWESOME visit with Olivia and Lance and their kids. We talk like we've known each other forever, like old friends that don't skip a beat.

I think Olivia has a way of making everyone feel like they are old friends. I only met her briefly...in the cold pouring down rain as she was packing up to go home, and she was an absolute sweetheart! I really, really wish we had gotten more time to hang out. But our skin was beginning to prune up and pneumonia was setting in, so we went our separate ways. Like you, I felt like we'd known each other for years.

Great trip report! I really want to head up that way soon. I like the idea of a GG.

Great tr Dave love to see pictures of your family.and a bonus of Oliva & her family. Now I cant wait for the Thanksgiving one.bcause I will b part of it

I can't wait either, Lorna. Gonna be a great time!

Dave what a great great trip report . Enjoying every word, enjoying every pic.

We can't wait for the next GG. :)

Same here H. SMGG12 will be epic!

Great trip report I enjoyed following along it was a nice ride, great pictures, wow 5 girls talk about being out numbered, mornings must be fun hope you have alot of bathrooms at home.

We don't have a lot of bathrooms. But luckily DW and I have our own!

BRAVO!

Great job, Dave.

You have not lost your touch at all.

I love the Christmas card photos!

Back in the days before digital cameras, we would sometimes go through a couple of rolls of film hoping that one shot would come out good. The interesting thing is that when you look back at the photos you thought were bad, the years somehow have a way of making them good. So be sure to keep all of those Christmas card photos- even the current rejects.

I'll bet you are bursting with excitement about your return to the Fort. I know that you will have a great and memorable trip. And, hopefully I will be there to say hello again in person.

TCD

I remember the days of film well. It actually wasn't that many years ago! You'd kick yourself if a bunch of pics didn't come out ok. Each one cost money to develop. Ah, the good ole days.

I hope we get a visit from you at Thanksgiving time.

Well done!

I totally get where you are coming from in regards to trying to get the perfect photo for cards. We only have 3 and every year we take about 100 pictures and end up picking the best of the worst lol. I can't imagine what you go through with your family :)

I think your warm up report is awesome and can't wait for your Fort report next month!

Thanks Tom! Hope to meet you at the Fort some day.

I hate to see this TR end! But on the bright side there is another one just around the corner.

I'm so glad you got to spend some time with Liv and her family. I have yet to meet them in person and am looking forward to it very much.

Yeah, I wish they could make it to SMGG12. They need to get themselves a camper!

Great trip report. I miss the fall colors being in Florida now.

Yeah, I would really miss fall if I lived somewhere that didn't get it. It's my favorite time of year in TN.

I think Olivia has a way of making everyone feel like they are old friends. I only met her briefly...in the cold pouring down rain as she was packing up to go home, and she was an absolute sweetheart! I really, really wish we had gotten more time to hang out. But our skin was beginning to prune up and pneumonia was setting in, so we went our separate ways. Like you, I felt like we'd known each other for years.

Great trip report! I really want to head up that way soon. I like the idea of a GG.

Yep, that is one special family right there. Maybe if we can plan a GG in the Smokies we could get them included. Heck, maybe we can all camp in their backyard!

Im just catching up on this report. Smiles, or no smiles, the pictures of the girls are beautiful!!!! :heart: I wish you had been there with us this past week. I may have to make a day trip over when your here for Thanksgiving.