DaveInTN's Grin-n-Bear It, On-The-Loose Fall Weekend Trip Report NOW COMPLETE

I love fall camping!

Really, what more do I have to say??

Living in Tennessee, our camping season is quite long. And yet there is a stretch during July and August where it can be just plain miserable. So I try to get in a couple of weekends in the spring, and then we really like to get out in the fall.

This Monday and Tuesday was a mini-fall break for my kids from school. So they had a 4 day weekend. In October. I did not intend to let that opportunity go to waste. But where to go? Four days is not enough time to hit the Fort. Not when you live 14 hours away. But we didn't need to go that far. We have one of nature's premier fall destinations right in our own state. The Great Smoky Mountains!

Cades%2520Cove%25202007-033.jpg

Our last trip to the Smokies was exactly two years ago. In fact, during October of 2009 we made two trips there; one to the Great Smoky Mountain Jellystone in Cosby, TN, and one to the KOA in Townsend, TN. We like both parks. Both are reasonably quiet and away from the hustle and bustle of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. The KOA is near Cades Cove, which we love to visit. The Jellystone is closer to Gatlinburg, and has a ton of family activities around Halloween weekends. For this trip, I decided on the Jellystone.

This will be a fairly short trip report. It was only 3 nights after all. But my purpose in pulling this together is two fold. First, I always enjoy documenting our trips. It's fun reliving the trip and sharing with others. And second, I need practice. I used to write reports over at Voldemort, but we haven't been to the Fort in over 18 months. And other than a brief weekend camping trip report in June this year, I haven't written one in a while. And more importantly, I haven't needed to worry about picture taking. And I can tell you that I am out of practice in that regard. There were several instances on this trip where we said "oops" after the fact when we realized we forgot to take pics. So I am treating this as practice for our upcoming Thanksgiving Fort trip. In other words, this trip report is a dry run of sorts. Please "bear" with me. (Pardon the Yogi pun.)

So, with that all said...let's start this trip report out like I start all DaveInTN trip reports; with Headlines!

What will we see in this report?

Stupid Hats

My Little Piece of Heaven

You Picked A Fine Time To Leave Me No Beer

The Slide of Death

You Can Fry Anything (But Don't Forget The Camera)

I'm Hungry For Fish

Multiple Bear Sightings

I Love Me Some Fiends

And so, without further adieu...on with the report.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well? I'm waiting.

So far so good.

Edited to add:

You meant no bear as in Yogi, right? You really didn't mean no "beer" as in PBR, Yuengling, High Life, Miller, etc. Right? Right?

Your fiend card may be revoked..........

Stupid Hats

I normally like to leave on weekend camping trips on Friday afternoon. But for this trip, we didn't leave until Saturday morning. The kids had a full day of school on Friday. Plus, the campground was a 5 hour drive for us. But more importantly, my DD13 celebrated becoming my DD14 on Friday night. Her birthday is this Saturday, but she will be at a church retreat then so last Friday she had a couple of her good friends over. We let them hang in the trailer in the driveway, watching movies and doing girl stuff. Like straightening hair. Fun stuff. :facepalm:

In any case, we pulled out Saturday morning around 8:00 and headed east on I-40. Traffic was tough going on and off as about half the population of Nashville was also driving east toward Knoxville. The UT Vols had a 3pm ass kicking game scheduled against LSU. So we dealt with a bunch of traffic with orange flags and pom poms driving toward Knoxville and getting in our way. :banghead:

We stopped off at a Cracker Barrel to grab some breakfast. Man, it tasted so good! I had eggs over medium, bacon AND sausage, and coffee. And this was the first of many examples of me forgetting to take pictures. :gaah: I know, the King of Pood Forn forgot to take pictures of his meal. Believe me, I beat myself up pretty bad over this one. But I promise I will inundate you with pictures of every meal I eat at Disney next month. :raspberry2:

We did, however, get some pictures at Cracker Barrel of non-food items. Specifically, we enjoyed trying on hats in the store.

Lots, and LOTS, of hats.

P1020049.JPG

Who's the idiot peeking from the background?

P1020053.JPG

P1020054.JPG

P1020055.JPG

P1020056.JPG

P1020057.JPG

There may be a couple of other pics taken that day...but you'll never see them on the internet. For a 12 ounce bribe when I'm at the Fort, I just may show you them.

After finishing up our breakfast and shopping, we hit the road again. And other than dealing with some game traffic as I mentioned before, we had no problems and rolled into camp around 3pm. And boy, were we in for a treat....

Ok! we've passed the adieu, where's the we did?

I'm buckled into my seat, let's get this show on the road. :popcorn:

I'm in!

Waiting..... :D

Yeah, yeah...I know. Had to tuck a couple of kiddos in bed. But I just posted an update...

Well? I'm waiting.

So far so good.

Edited to add:

You meant no bear as in Yogi, right? You really didn't mean no "beer" as in PBR, Yuengling, High Life, Miller, etc. Right? Right?

Your fiend card may be revoked..........

Gee, I don't really recall at the moment. Y'all will just have to stick around. :rofl2:

There may be a couple of other pics taken that day...but you'll never see them on the internet. For a 12 ounce bribe when I'm at the Fort, I just may show you them. After finishing up our breakfast and shopping, we hit the road again. And other than dealing with some game traffic as I mentioned before, we had no problems and rolled into camp around 3pm. And boy, were we in for a treat....

Note to self - pack plenty of 12 ouncers to bribe Dave to show the good pics

Loved the hats. A treat? I like treats :jumpforjoy

Yeah, me too. But this isn't chocolate.

Dave where's your hat. Here's a beer now show us.

Funny, the beer didn't transmit properly. Try again.

Sounds like it's gonna be fun!

Rita, you have to learn to stop overestimating me.

Love the hats! We've never stayed at the Jellystone Campground in Cosby. Actually, come to think of it we've never stayed at any Jellystone Campground. So, I am really looking forward to your pictures of the campground and hearing about all the fun things to do there.

Oh, I've got campground pics. And I fully intend to bore the snot out of you with them.

Note to self - pack plenty of 12 ouncers to bribe Dave to show the good pics

Good idea Scot. We can use the beer to gain confidence in our Free Melvin mission.

I'm in! And, I love stupid hats! O:-) So, bring on more report!

Work gets in the way...can't update till tonight.

Looking foward to reading your trip report

Thank you Michele! Glad to have you onboard.

No trip is complete without multiple stupid hat pics.

Really? Is that the secret to why this trip rocked? Cause we typically aren't stupid hat people. I gotta remember that one!

Beautiful girls, cheesy grins, and stupid hats. A perfect combination.

At first glance, I thought your quote was "beautiful girls, cheesy grits, and stupid hats.". It brought me back to my first trip down south in college. :rofl2: Ah, good times.

:suspense: Can't wait for this report!! I can't believe the king of food pictures of kitties, forgot the food pictures! If you make up for it with kid pictures, I will forgive you though. Ya'll make me jealous with the cute little ones. I need a grandbaby!! :(

Ok Dave, I came into the office early just so I could catch your next update, I read the first installment on my phone last night while bathing the babies... and there is NO UPDATE YET?? ??? You live with 6 women.. I think your use to being told to HURRY UP!!!! or I'm sending in the ninja's.. :ph34r: