Lots of Firsts and Better Late Than Never

I realize our trip to the Fort is nearly a month old. That's part of the better late than never part. What can I say? Life gets in the way!

I'll try to make this as quick and painless as possible. More than likely I'll not do much narrating...I don't do it well...and remember I'm trying to make this quick and painless. ^_^

The lots of firsts part is just that...lots of firsts! The kids, my Mom (Grammy), and I have been to the Fort for the past two years, but Lance (DH) has not. This was his first visit...and he loved it! :banana:

Well let's get this show on the road. We debated back and forth whether or not we should go to the Fort in 2011 for months. I've been wanting a camper for years and we are a cash only family. So, every "extra" thing we do, comes out of the "Future Camper Fund." We were back and forth with we're going/we're not going until some things unfolded that gave us a peace about making reservations! The past couple of trips have been during Disney's Home School Days and we have gotten tickets at a deeply discounted price. Our goal was to visit during that time again to help alleviate some of the cost. Once we were settled with going, Runner Ed was really putting the pressure on me to run the Food & Wine Half Marathon on October 1st. It was March...I had never even run a 5k. Like a fool, I took the challenge and my Daddy graciously paid the entry fee.

I knew ftwildernessguy and girl were coming to my neck of the woods the last week of September so I had to be careful with my planning. I mean I could not and would not miss the opportunity to actually meet THE ftwildernessguy! He's a rock star. He's a legend. On the day before we headed out for the Fort....

DSC00091.jpg

He's everything thing I thought he would be and more! :rofl2: Seriously, I had a grand time with him and his wife. They were very patient (I was late) and gracious. They fed my kids pie and listened to my giddy self talk for over an hour...all while they were on vacation. I sure wish we could have spent more time together, though they were probably glad to see us leave! :partythree: When we got in the van to leave, I said, "Oh I just loved them. Weren't they precious?" Gage, my oldest said, "Yeah, they were very nice, but Mom, you talked the whole time. What was wrong with you?" :eek: SORRY, I was EXCITED!

So if my memory serves me correctly, we left on a Wednesday as soon as Lance got home from work. We did give him enough time to shower and then we hit the road. We were loaded up and ready to go...with our Mickey lamp post...another first!

DSC00094.jpg

Here's my babies...Gage and Gretchen

DSC00095.jpg

Here I am along with, Lance, the love of my life.

DSC00096.jpg

I wanted to leave at 5:30, but I am notoriously late, however, we had another first.

DSC00097.jpg

I realize it says 5:34, but that is on time for me! Plus, Lance had run back in to the house to get his fried pie so I'm thinking we could have left at 5:33. :rofl3:

DSC00098.jpg

We ate at Chik-fil-A which is where we always eat when we're on the road. Sorry, Dave. I have no pics of that meal. When we got to Dalton, it was time for a potty break. Lance has a thing about using a restaurant's bathroom and not buying anything. So,

DSC00101.jpg

DSC00104.jpg

DSC00107.jpg

Don't know what happened to Gretchen, but I assure you she had ice cream!

We got to Atlanta just in time to go to bed. Night, night.

DSC00112.jpg

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree that it does look like a mickey head that was stepped on an peed itself.

Cool! I didn't know walking them was allowed! Maybe I will "walk/run" a marathon one day afterall. ;D

:bravo: Now I have to do it twice - once in Jan and once in Feb.

That's right - blame it on me ... after I was "forced" to sign up for the Princess 1/2 Marathon. I wonder who I can blame that one on?

Well it certainly was NOT me! I thought the whole point of "highly encouraging" me to do the F&W was because you were planning on doing it. (I may have to go back and re-read that topic.) I would have much rather done the Princess...why didn't you tell me you were doing that one?!?!?! :faceplant2:

Better late than never indeed!

I am looking forward to reading all about your trip!

Props to you on the Mickey Light Post. I like how it occupied a priority place in the car.

I hope we get to see more of your DD's photography.

TCD

Yes, that lamp got treated like royalty! :laugh: Lance had towels wrapped around the "pressure points."

Believe it or not, Gretchen did not take many pics this trip. Lance did 98% of the photographing. He filled up a whole 8GB card and 'bout drove us crazy!

LOL...I am the same way about restaurant bathrooms.......especially if I have to really defile one. :rofl3:

I guess I'm ruthless. I don't have a problem with it whatsoever. :rofl2: I almost always do my fast food eating at C-f-A, so I don't feel bad about using their facilities when I need to. Perhaps I need to rethink that. ^_^

I'll try to finish out our day from Atlanta to the big town of Glen St. Mary before doing my Friday errands.

I'm very much pro-morning! ;) For the most part my family is pro-night. >:( Often times, this causes dissension...even on vacation.

I wanted to be on the road by 7:30! My family wanted to sleep until 9:00! I was up a loooong time before I grew quite impatient and finally insisted they get up! This is what happens when I have the camera.

DSC00114.jpg

DSC00118.jpg

DSC00119.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

Eventually everyone got up, had some breakfast, and gently put their overnight bags back into the van. Now it was family time. My uncle and aunt have a home in Marietta. They also have a MH in Nashville where my aunt is currently living while working at Vanderbilt. He was laid off from his job 19 months ago and is still without work. :( We haven't seen them since we were in Nashville in January for a mini fiend gathering even though we've talked to them several times. It was good to visit face to face, catch up, and pray together about what's going on in their lives. I keep saying "them" and "their". She was actually in Nashville, so it was really just him! :laugh:

DSC00126.jpg

DSC00127.jpg

DSC00129.jpg

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00132.jpg

DSC00125.jpg

And with that we were back on 75S. It was good that we didn't leave at 7:30 and were able to spend time with family. I'm finding the older I get how precious and valuable that time really is.

Now that high schooler of mine needs the computer for science, so I'll catch y'all later!

I love these photos! I am an early riser as well, and fortunately for me all of my children are as well, but I'm sure that will change in a few years :(

Can't wait to read more of your report!

Aren't the breathe right strips hilarious! Once upon a time, my oldest got up before me, then last year he turned 14. Things haven't been the same since. <_<

Never! A great disney trip is always fun to read. Keep up the good job.ok_face.gif

Awe, thanks Paula!

Enjoying this so far! Love the grumpy wake-up photos. :)

Thanks, Kate. There are more grumpy wake-up photos to come! :))

:popcorn:

The absolute least you could do is follow along since you left me high and dry for the race!

DSC00119.jpg

OOOOH! Somebody not happy. :rofl3:

I assure you she got happy real quick after that pic was taken. I don't know if it was the fact that I put the fear of God in her (because of the attitude) or if she remembered she was going to Disney World in 24 hours. I definitely recall a happy child at the breakfast table. :))

Where were we? Oh yes, no sooner had we gotten on the road that it was time to eat lunch. Guess where we ate? If you answered Chik-fil-A, you guessed correctly. I took pics on my cell phone, but considering I don't even know how to pull my pics up on my phone, I sure wouldn't know how to upload them to the computer! (Or heck is it download... ???) I just know that cookies and cream milkshake was good and I drank every last sip. :raspberry:

This is what happens when you're bored.

DSC00145-1.jpg

Finally, I see it!

DSC00147-1.jpg

It's just a matter of time before the signs remind me I'm close to home...or at least the one I grew up in.

DSC00149-1.jpg

DSC00151.jpg

DSC00152.jpg

DSC00153.jpg

DSC00154.jpg

The bustling town of Glen St. Mary

DSC00155.jpg

DSC00156.jpg

My grandparents used to have a clothing store (Tom's Factory Outlet) in this building. It's run down now, but still standing! Lord knows I picked a bizillion pecans on that property and helped shell those boogers for weeks!

DSC00158.jpg

It's funny how things change over the years. I used to cross this street to get a candy bar and a Coke for less than a dollar as a kid. It has turn lanes and an actual light there now!

DSC00159.jpg

The turn off to Papa & Grammy's! It used to be ALL dirt (more like sand) road, but much of it is paved today. I had some fun in my little baby blue Ford Tempo on this road back in my teen-age days. I obey the traffic laws now that I have kids. :laugh:

DSC00161.jpg

Now for the dirt/sand road...

DSC00162.jpg

DSC00163.jpg

There's a certain house (Coach Harrison's to be exact) that we let the kids stand out of the sun roof. Gage is too cool, I mean big, to do that now, but Gretchen never forgets.

DSC00165.jpg

DSC00164.jpg

Their DRIVEWAY!

DSC00166.jpg

Ahhh...home sweet home!

DSC00167.jpg

I don't know about y'all, but EVERY time I turn into my parents' driveway, I get butterflies in my tummy. I am so grateful for the parents God gave me. They are such a blessing to me and my family. My Mama is having hip replacement surgery December 28 and I have the opportunity to come take care of her. I'm so looking forward to ministering to her and my Dad! They do for so many and NEVER ask for anything in return!

Another change...their house now has railing on the front porch because their insurance up and dropped them for NOT having it. I won't go there. :argh:

DSC00168.jpg

We were greeted by Bear, my cousin's dog, whom my parents have been dog sitting for...well, a long time.

DSC00169.jpg

Muffy, my parent's dog, was close behind. We found out real quick she does NOT like Bear!

DSC00170.jpg

And then I got to see and hold my cousin's baby for the first time! It seemed like my cousin was this size not too long ago. Man, I feel old!

DSC00172.jpg

DSC00173.jpg

Papa always cooks a big meal for us and today was no different. I don't have a finished pic of it, but it was country fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, and cabbage.

DSC00177.jpg

Off to assess the camper. It had not been walked in since we used it at Hannah Park in May...and you could tell!!

DSC00175.jpg

No, Muffy, you can't come in the camper...Grammy's rule!

DSC00176.jpg

Liv - sorry I am late getting on board with your report. Your visit was one of the highlights of our trip. I only wish Lance could have come. Gage and Gretchen are so polite and well behaved. You and Lance are doing a great job raising them to be fine citizens. Thanks for taking the time to come out to see us. Now, back to the report!