TCD's Halloween 2011 Trip Report

Gee whiz, you are impatient today!

It takes a while to get 30 photos organized, uploaded, and then write a bit of witty text to go along with them.

I'll see what I can do.

TCD

Oh My that's gonna be a big update. I'll try to withhold my impatience. I'm trying to distract myself from the oven drama playing out in my home today

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well here it comes! TCD's 12th Trip Report here on FF.net! I returned from the Fort almost a week ago, but I am just now getting around to getting this one kicked-off. I took me a while to come up wit

Hey TCD your one gator didn't stand up very well to the rain did it? I think I took this picture on Saturday when we were looping... maybe they all had too much of Stefa's punch? They seem to be lean

I agree, they should not sell Disney Princess costumes in old lady sizes. And that's all I have to say about that. Also, Andrew, you may want to position the two FSU blowups beside each other rather t

Posted Images

Well, we made it to Halloween morning.

This will be a big day at the Fort.

I'm glad that the weather forecasters all told us that the rain was over and that we would have a sunny Halloween.

It turns out they were a bit mistaken about that.

It had rained off and on over the night. Nothing too heavy, but enough to replenish some of the puddles around our site.

The rain had stopped when I headed out for the first cup of coffee. Here's the Meadow Trading Post at just before sunrise on Halloween morning:

IMG_0656.jpg

And here's a look at the soggy 900 loop. I had left the inflatables running all night, because the rain had started just before we turned in. They get less water-logged if they are inflated instead of laying on the ground:

IMG_0657.jpg

I got my coffee and enjoyed it on the porch of Crockett's Tavern. I looked around a bit, and then headed back to camp. I knew I would be making a shopping run that morning, so I made a list of what I needed and got ready to go.

First, I needed another cup of coffee. The Meadow Trading Post was open by then, so I walked over to get a refill.

I realized that I had not yet gotten a photo of Bear Rock on this trip, so I headed out back for a photo. Here is an unusually dry Bear Rock with a friendly bird:

IMG_0659.jpg

Guess who was right there on Tennessee Bob's dock?

If you guessed Tennessee Bob, then you are right!

I chatted with Bob for probably less than a minute when a light drizzle broke out. I think we chatted about how the weather forecast did not call for rain. No sooner had those words been spoken than a hard rain began. Bob ran for it! You can see the back of his blue shirt racing back to his campsite right here:

IMG_0660.jpg

I have noticed that it is hard to capture rain in a photo. But this is a photo taken from the back porch of the Trading Post showing the rain coming down:

IMG_0661.jpg

And, for good measure, here's a photo from the front porch, looking across to the 900 loop:

IMG_0665.jpg

I was really surprised that it was raining as hard as it was. I had walked over here with no umbrella or poncho. I waited a bit to see if the rain would let up. While I waited, I admired some of the artwork on the porch.

I think I have said "not that there's anything wrong with that" a few times in this report. Well, as open-minded as I try to be, I still found something that made me think "there is definitely something wrong with that." It was this old advertisement:

IMG_0664.jpg

What you do in private is your own business. But, I don't want to see a picture of a guy in bed with a horse. Thanks.

I really didn't want to stand on the porch looking at that picture of the guy in bed with a horse, so I made a run for the 900 loop. I didn't get too wet.

I headed out to the store right after that.

I went to the Winn Dixie. I don't go to Winn Dixie at home, but I know how to get to this one via back roads, and it is less than 5 miles from the Fort. That's closer than Blizzard Beach or Animal Kingdom if you are interested in how close it is.

I have heard folks say this Winn Dixie is a dump, but it is not by any means a dump. It is very clean and large, and well stocked. I was there to buy some more Halloween candy, as we were worried that we didn't have enough. I also decided that I would make some pulled pork for dinner so I needed a Boston Butt Roast and some other ingredients. I found what I needed and headed out. We now had 9 bags of Halloween candy. I thought that would be enough.

On the way back I stopped at 7-11 for some gas. I took this photo to show how things look around here:

IMG_0667.jpg

And here's a look in the other direction. A lot of folks seem to like the breakfast buffet at that Sizzler:

IMG_0668.jpg

It's hard to believe that this urban sprawl sits about 4 miles from the entrance to the Fort. But it does.

It was still raining when I got back to camp.

The girls were up then, and the rain was really coming down.

I suggested that we go out looping in the rain.

I put on a poncho. The girls declined.

And off we went.

We stopped at Trail's End for a drink. You can see the rain coming down if you look just above the porch roof on the left of this photo:

IMG_0670.jpg

This site was on the 300 loop. Notice that they have bloody babies in the spider web:

IMG_0671.jpg

Here are some more folks on the 300 loop. They used severed limbs in their decorating:

IMG_0672.jpg

This site was also on the 300 loop. Dead bodies. Also note how they incorporated the tree roots into their decorating:

IMG_0673.jpg

What the heck was going on on the 300 loop? There were some scary campers on that loop!

Back on the 900 loop, we had a nice puddle, and sky the color of wet cement:

IMG_0674.jpg

This stunk!

It was Halloween, and the way it was raining, it seemed like it would be raining all day.

But, what could we do?

I had received a gift from Total Joker the night we arrived. It was a DVD of the old Disney movie Song of the South. As far as I know, Disney has not released it in the United States. So none of us had ever seen it. I have heard about it, though. It apparently is offensive and not politically correct. I was interested in seeing what it was all about.

So, on this rainy Halloween morning, the TCD gang watched the movie. I can see how some people would find it offensive. But, I have seen many more offensive things that were made more recently. The animation wasn't very good, and the plot was very corny and predictable. I am glad that we got to watch it. So, thank you, TJ!

When the movie was over, we checked on the weather.

There was a hint of blue in the sky!:

IMG_0675.jpg

We decided that this would be a good time to carve our pumpkins. We had brought them from home, and intended to carve them when Nicholas was there, but we never got around to it. Since it was Halloween, it was now or never. So we broke out the knives and got to work.

Here's Twin #1 at the start:

IMG_0676.jpg

And Twin #2:

IMG_0677.jpg

I was going to let the girls do all the carving by themselves, but I got nervous with them stabbing at the round pumpkins with a big knife, so I got them opened up for them:

IMG_0702.jpg

As we worked on the carving, the sky really started to clear!:

IMG_0716.jpg

I had gotten the pulled pork going as soon as I got back from the store, and it was starting to smell pretty good:

IMG_0717.jpg

As we worked on the pumpkins, I noticed a guy with a sweet beard cut through the back of our site:

IMG_0720.jpg

I think he was just trying to get me to notice his facial hair so he could possibly get an award, but I had already awarded the best facial hair award to the guy with the handlebar moustache at the Mummy Wrap.

In the meantime, the girls were going to town:

IMG_0730.jpg

They both planned their faces carefully:

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

And, they did all of the carving themselves:

IMG_0745.jpg

As we worked on the pumpkins, we noticed a guy driving by on a Segway.

We knew from far off who it was.

It was our old friend, Ranger Sean!

We had not seen him on this trip.

In fact, we had asked one of the other new Rangers where Sean was.

It turns out Sean has left the Ranger Corps.

He is now a Fireworks Cruise Captain.

It pays better.

We had a nice chat with Sean.

Here he is:

IMG_0748.jpg

I never had anything against him personally.

I just think the Rangers are stupid, annoying and unnecessary.

Sean filled us in on all the gossip he had heard. He is good about that.

He was just working the Fort today to help with crowd control at the parade.

He is good on his Segway, so he is useful in that position.

After our brief chat, Sean buzzed off through the back of our site back to the main road. If I had done that in front of him in a golf cart, he would have had a coronary:

IMG_0749.jpg

As the girls continued with their pumpkin carving, the sky continued to clear. The rain had stopped, and it looked like the sun was going to come out.

We had a really sweet new puddle right next to our site:

IMG_0753.jpg

Too bad Nicholas missed it.

The girls finished up their pumpkins just as the sun broke through.

Here they are:

IMG_0760.jpg

You probably don't need me to tell you that twin #1 is the one who made her pumpkin sideways.

I was surprised that it got as clear and pretty as it did. I really was bracing for a rainy day.

But, it was nice out now.

Beautiful in fact.

Time for us to have some fun.

We decided we needed to head back to the Magic Kingdom.

And that is exactly what we did.

And, it was there that we ran right in to a true magical moment.

Remember, it's the small things that make me smile.

We got to do something that we have never done before.

And that's saying something.

I'll tell you about it in the next update.

TCD

Wow with the week we have had here, I am still catching up!!! Love the TR :heart: and no I don't think you will ever run out of things to write about!! It was great to meet you Andrew!! I wish I had my hair done and make-up on, but coming from the CS to see you talking with my DH was great. I LOVE the spike and and have a big plan for it. Thanks so much!!!

IMG_0656.jpg

TCD

I love this picture!! Nice job! I feel as if I'm walking right into the trading post.

Ahh, I DO remember the rain. A lot of rain. I did see you pass by in your poncho, but as much as I like you, I wasn't about to come out and say good morning. (I also think I was still in my jammies)

After seeing how fast Bob sped back to his site, I wonder why he even bothers with his cart. He can obviously run faster! ;)

After peeking in your crock pot, I forgot to ask you how it turned out? I hope it tasted as good as it looked.

I for one, am VERY happy to hear that small things make you smile. :heartsmiley:

1. very distinct personalities are starting to show on the TCD twins.

2. of course Twin #1 would do her pumpkin sidways

3. ranger sean smile is scaring me

4. Twin #2 looks sweet in her precarving photo....

5. Avoid 300 loop during halloween - check

6. once again.. a TR post has made me hungry... how was the pulled pork?

Wow with the week we have had here, I am still catching up!!! Love the TR :heart: and no I don't think you will ever run out of things to write about!! It was great to meet you Andrew!! I wish I had my hair done and make-up on, but coming from the CS to see you talking with my DH was great. I LOVE the spike and and have a big plan for it. Thanks so much!!!

Hello Loretta-

I'm glad that you're reading along.

It was great to meet you and your family, too.

And don't worry, you looked fine!

I hope that you all had a great trip.

If you do something cool with your spike, please be sure to post a photo of it.

I love this picture!! Nice job! I feel as if I'm walking right into the trading post.

Ahh, I DO remember the rain. A lot of rain. I did see you pass by in your poncho, but as much as I like you, I wasn't about to come out and say good morning. (I also think I was still in my jammies)

After seeing how fast Bob sped back to his site, I wonder why he even bothers with his cart. He can obviously run faster! ;)

After peeking in your crock pot, I forgot to ask you how it turned out? I hope it tasted as good as it looked.

I for one, am VERY happy to hear that small things make you smile. :heartsmiley:

Thanks, S70

The pulled pork ended up being a little tough. I think I should have let it cook a little longer. I started it later that usual, and we tried to hurry up and eat right after the cart parade.

Next time, I'm going to try one of those tenderloins you and Trevor told me about.

1. very distinct personalities are starting to show on the TCD twins.

2. of course Twin #1 would do her pumpkin sidways

3. ranger sean smile is scaring me

4. Twin #2 looks sweet in her precarving photo....

5. Avoid 300 loop during halloween - check

6. once again.. a TR post has made me hungry... how was the pulled pork?

Yes, Sean is a bit scary. I used to not like him very much. But he is actually a very nice guy, and he means well.

If I ever loose my mind and/or win the lottery and decide I'm going to take a fireworks cruise, I would ask for Sean to be my captain.

too easy.... I will not comment.. I will not comment... ahhhhhhhh

I give you credit for not commenting.

But Stef does make a good straight man person.

TCD

But Stef does make a good straight man.

TCD

:dropjaw: Did you just call me a man? Or did you want to say I can make a straight man, gay? Or a gay man, straight? Or walk a straight line? I don't even like George Strait. I'm so confused!

Pulled Pork!!! in a Crock pot ? I've done it in the Dutch oven but not he crock pot

Can you send me the recipe

And where is the slaw

IMG_0740.jpg

Yes- I make it in a crock pot. I think the recipe is in my camper. I will dig it out and post it for you, Jeff.

It's the least i can do for the guy who gave me his secret mac and cheese recipe!

:dropjaw: Did you just call me a man? Or did you want to say I can make a straight man, gay? Or a gay man, straight? Or walk a straight line? I don't even like George Strait. I'm so confused!

Oh boy.

I just fixed my post so I don't have to try to figure out how to answer this.

TCD

TCD,

I was so happy to see another TCD trip report up!!!! I was even happier to read that you will have a trip report in progress from now to the new year!!!! Woohoo!!!! I see lots of fun reading in my future!!!

Love all the Halloween pictures. I have never been to the fort for Halloween.......it is on my list of things to do!

Glad the weather cleared up for everybody on Halloween, it must have been disappointing to wake up to the dreary day then all the heavy rain.

Looking forward to reading more..........tomorrow I will be sitting for the whole day getting my chemo treatment, yes, that is 6 1/2 hours being hooked up to the IV...........it would be GREAT to have some more TCD trip report to read...........hint hint...............

Heidi

Looking forward to reading more..........tomorrow I will be sitting for the whole day getting my chemo treatment, yes, that is 6 1/2 hours being hooked up to the IV...........it would be GREAT to have some more TCD trip report to read...........hint hint...............

Heidi

no pressure :rofl2:

Heidi

Heidi, sorry to hear about your plans for tomorrow. :heartsmiley: I have a way with bugging the crap outta him when he makes me wait too long, so I've got your back. ;)

Hope all goes well. Prayers headed your way.

Heidi, sorry to hear about your plans for tomorrow. :heartsmiley: I have a way with bugging the crap outta him when he makes me wait too long, so I've got your back. ;)

Hope all goes well. Prayers headed your way.

Stef,

Thanks for the prayers!

The whole cancer thing is a bummer......despite the fact that I was nailed with a double cancer diagnosis, one being espeicially harsh (ovarian......less than 20% that are diagnosed live longer than five years........I am 44.) I have a really good prognosis, both of my cancers were caught early and my oncologist has looked me in the eye and told me that i will beat this. Despite all that good news, it's still tough and I will happily take any prayers sent my way! Stef, I know that I can count on you to keep TCD on track with getting his trip report up for all of us to read!!!!

Thanks also to rebelstand and Doodlebug for the well wishes, very much appreciated!!!

Heidi

Andrew,

I have to agree with you on the Winn Dixie on vineland. I hate Winn Dixies especially the one in Dunedin. Have no idea how that one stays in business. I hope it's at least been remodeled since I lived there back in the 90's. We actually do our grocery shopping when we arrive at that Winn Dixie vs. packing everything at home since they have such a great selection at that store. It's actually in a great location for the campers when you take the back roads.

I have a VHS copy of song of the south. I never actually watched it yet. I'm sure people have heard this before, but splash mountian is based off the 1946 version of Song of the South. I bet a lot of kids, maybe even adults wonder why Br'er rabbit, Br'er Fox and Br'er bear are not popular Disney Characters. "Zip-a-dee-do-dah" was also made famous from the same movie. It's too bad in some ways that there is such a big drop on splash mountian because my kids would love the Br'er Rabbit portion of the ride. But without the drop, it wouldn't be a mountian. I guess when they get older they can enjoy the ride and I guess the movie. great stuff so far.

Pulled Pork!!! in a Crock pot ? I've done it in the Dutch oven but not he crock pot Can you send me the recipe?

OK, Jeff- Here it is -

Pulled Pork

1 Boston Butt Roast- bone in- 4-6 pounds- Rinse and cover with Seasoned Salt- you may also want to trim off any excess fat.

2 cans of Pineapple Chunks in Heavy Syrup

One chopped onion (chopped the size of the pineapple chunks)

two teaspoons of chopped garlic (the kind in the little jar)

Place the Pineapple and juice, onion, and garlic in the crock pot. Set pork on top and cook 9-10 hours on low.

Turn off and allow meat to cool down for at least an hour. Remove roast from pot and place on cutting board. Pull apart with two forks. The bone will fall right out. Dispose of all the junk in the crock pot (much easier if you use the liner) and put pulled pork back in crock. Use 1 or 2 bottles of barbeque sauce (we use Sweet Baby Rays) to coat the meat as much or as little as you like ( it usually takes 1 to 1 1/2 bottles). If you refrigerate, it will take 3-4 hours on low to reheat, but it's best to eat it as soon as you can. Can also be frozen and used at a later date.

A variation of this is to not use the pineapple, onion or garlic and use a cup of orange juice as your liquid.

Another variation is to use a pork tenderloin or two- these have a lot less fat, and no bone. But, I kind of like the whole bone and fat thing- it makes it seem more authentic.

TCD, I was so happy to see another TCD trip report up!!!! I was even happier to read that you will have a trip report in progress from now to the new year!!!! Woohoo!!!! I see lots of fun reading in my future!!! Love all the Halloween pictures. I have never been to the fort for Halloween.......it is on my list of things to do! Glad the weather cleared up for everybody on Halloween, it must have been disappointing to wake up to the dreary day then all the heavy rain. Looking forward to reading more..........tomorrow I will be sitting for the whole day getting my chemo treatment, yes, that is 6 1/2 hours being hooked up to the IV...........it would be GREAT to have some more TCD trip report to read...........hint hint............... Heidi

OK- I get the hint, I will get to work!

Keep up the good fight! You will beat this!

Although I would hate to see it get more crowded, I really recommend Halloween as a time to visit the Fort- the weather is almost always great, and there are so many fun things to do.

Heidi, sorry to hear about your plans for tomorrow. :heartsmiley: I have a way with bugging the crap outta him when he makes me wait too long, so I've got your back. ;) Hope all goes well. Prayers headed your way.

No bugging shall be required today- the next installment will be up this morning.

x3

x4

TCD I always enjoy the perspective you bring to your trip reports. I can't tell you how happy all my folks were to be "spiked!" @Heidi, I'm glad that your oncologist is optimistic! Cancer Sucks!

Thanks, Rita.

I am glad to have spiked your entire party. Especially your momma. Her face lit up when she got her spike, and I meant it when I said I would take her out hunting for some. One of these days I will need to do that.

Agreed that Cancer Sucks!

Andrew, I have to agree with you on the Winn Dixie on vineland. I hate Winn Dixies especially the one in Dunedin. Have no idea how that one stays in business. I hope it's at least been remodeled since I lived there back in the 90's. We actually do our grocery shopping when we arrive at that Winn Dixie vs. packing everything at home since they have such a great selection at that store. It's actually in a great location for the campers when you take the back roads. I have a VHS copy of song of the south. I never actually watched it yet. I'm sure people have heard this before, but splash mountian is based off the 1946 version of Song of the South. I bet a lot of kids, maybe even adults wonder why Br'er rabbit, Br'er Fox and Br'er bear are not popular Disney Characters. "Zip-a-dee-do-dah" was also made famous from the same movie. It's too bad in some ways that there is such a big drop on splash mountian because my kids would love the Br'er Rabbit portion of the ride. But without the drop, it wouldn't be a mountian. I guess when they get older they can enjoy the ride and I guess the movie. great stuff so far.

As far as I know, that Dunedin Winn Dixie still has not been updated. It is still pretty much a dump. I also wonder how it remains in business. I have done that grocery shopping thing after we arrived once, and I think I'm going to try it again on my next trip- I think it makes packing up a lot easier, especially since I have the pop-up. I can just put all the groceries in their proper place after I'm all set up. And, I know that when I shop ahead of time, I end up with a lot more food than we use. I need to remember that I can get to the grocery store and back in less than half and hour from the Fort.

My kids are very familiar with Splash Mountain and all of the characters incorporated in it, but none of us had ever seen Song of the South. Now, we have a better understanding of what is going on in that ride. Except the finale with the Riverboat isn't in the movie, so I don't know where that came from. The music in the movie is great- Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah and Everybody Has A Laughing Place are really great and catchy. It's too bad that the movie is viewed as being offensive and ignored. To me, it would be better to release it and use it as an opportunity to teach our children about racism and discrimination.

TCD

We use the Winn Dixie on Vineland mid trip. It makes packing much easier by not having to pack enough for an entire vacation all at once.

Great updates and I will definitely try out that pulled pork recipe. Looks delish. I am pro-pineapple and pork combo.

Totally agree about Song of the South. It is at the very top of my short list of favorite Classic Disney movies.

I have a VHS copy of song of the south. I never actually watched it yet.

You need to take your Song of the South VHS somewhere and have it transferred to DVD. VHS tapes over 10years old start breaking down very fast and the person transferring it may get one pass before it breaks. I don’t think you will ever see Disney release at movie again. You have gold in that tape