Kelly (Tiggerinbama) was approached by a Fort manager at Christmas time telling her they were going to start limiting the displays at holiday times.  It seems as though people were getting into the power boxes and doing some "mods" (without Lar's approval or advice) in order to boost the amount of power they could use for their displays.

Like all things Fort Wilderness.... I'll believe it when I see it.

The managers came to me at my site and asked my thoughts on the subject. I told them the decorations were the reason we were there. I also asked how they would determine property lines and enforce it. I mentioned that rather than focusing on something that brings joy to others focus on the rules they don't enforce. They quickly left. Then the water main broke.

We were also approached at our site the week after Christmas and asked what we thought about the decorations. The manager asked us what we thought was too much, specifically asking about a site down from us on the 1600 loop (which we enjoyed BTW).  We were setting up so we thought he was trying to discourage us from decorating.  He said stringing lights between trees was dangerous (only if you are cutting across my site!).  I was floored by that one so I didn't think to mention clotheslines  :rofl2:.  He then told us restrictions would be put in place for next year, but the restrictions had not yet been determined.  He left pretty quickly when we asked if they could instead focus on the reckless golf cart driving.

OK, I'm officially worried. I have been piecing together a lighting display that I intead on using during our holiday stay in 2012 (and beyond). I am using almost all led's for lighting, so as not to have a large power consumtion.

I guess we will find out this year if it has been in vain.

Do they not know that everyone (at least everyone I know or have talked to) enjoys the lighting displays. Not to mention, it makes for free advertising for the Fort.

I'm really really curious how they'd enforce a policy about this. Heck, or even how one would WRITE a policy since the displays vary - lights, led lights, blowups, etc.  I only had one or two strands of lights up last year (mostly for my own benefit), but as I read the line about lights strung btw trees, I would now be violating their policy.

I'll be interested to see how this plays out.

They did say some would be supervised, and the blow ups take alot of power, we were told that we couldn't put them close to the road, and they might have a 6 by 6 area, they are not sure yet. They did say they weren't stopping us from decorating just trying to keep it on the safe side.  They said we couldn't put things in the common area anymore, so that takes away my mickey living room unless I figuare out a way to put it on the concrete. I actually think they want more lights than anything else, (like displays). Dave's castle should be fine. We told them to email us before we came down, because if I bring all that crap down and can't use it, I would be upset. I don't store it, I bring it all down in the camper.

I can not wait to see the displays this coming December. 

But if people have been messing with the power boxes, that ain't right. Didn't Donnie get zapped after Haloween last year?  I just don't like screwing around with electricity, have seen stupid results because of it.

But I like blowups, lights, trees, clotheslines, hammocks, dogs, etc so please don't hate.

:rofl2:

I think that it'd be really sad if the restricted the displays.  I've always heard about how great they are, but we're not going to be down there during Christmas until 2012.

I don't want to be a "Debbie Downer" (but my name is Debbie - hee-hee).  I love the decorated sites that are well thought out and organized with some sort of theme. 

"Dave the Castle Guy" has to have the best of all, in my opinion!! 

Site 1638 is really cool, too because it is sort of a winter wonderland walk-thru theme. 

Tiggerinbama's decorations are very tastefully done and a pleasure to look at, so are GrumpynGramma's. 

Then, you have those people who think "more is better". I know I'm going to get razzed, but some sites are just sensory overload and looks like someone puked up decorations.  Those are the ones I do not care for and wish they would tone it down a little.  I won't point out those sites by name, but those of you who frequent the Fort at Christmas or Halloween know who I'm thinking of.

I asked Feisty about this, figuring she has had more "interactions" with the Fort about decorations than probably anyone, and she was assured that the restrictions will be to keep decorations within each campsite and out of the common areas. Apparently they are concerned about folks congregating by the roadside, or at least that's the story. The only folks I can see this really affecting much are the "over-achievers" in 1600 (as I like to call them), which is a shame. But they do get a ton of carts parking on the road to look at their display.

ShantaClausSm.png

They did say some would be supervised, and the blow ups take alot of power, we were told that we couldn't put them close to the road, and they might have a 6 by 6 area, they are not sure yet. They did say they weren't stopping us from decorating just trying to keep it on the safe side.  They said we couldn't put things in the common area anymore, so that takes away my mickey living room unless I figuare out a way to put it on the concrete. I actually think they want more lights than anything else, (like displays). Dave's castle should be fine. We told them to email us before we came down, because if I bring all that crap down and can't use it, I would be upset. I don't store it, I bring it all down in the camper.

I saw it too....that is a LOT of stuff in that camper.

We noticed in January that a couple of people had trailers in the overflow lot and we saw them loading decorations on different days while we were there.  There was even someone with an old UHaul box truck that had some decorations on the dashboard!    :dance: :rofl2:

I saw that Feisty has one or two? storage trailers behind her site.  That is definitely the way to go if you want to do it BIG.  We stopped and complemented her on the lights one night while she was changing over from Christmas to Valentines Day.

:rofl2: :) :) :) :)